The Good And The Ugly!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Nov 27, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I know I ate a ton! LOL... Wasn't gonna spend any time here tonight, but got the ambition to share a past trip with you all. A few years back when I was still fishing every local tourney I could on the weekends, A team showed up one night, and entered. Most us regulars recognize the regs. But not this team. They had a truck with a 100 gal. rubbermaid live stock tank in the back. They paid their money like the rest of us, didn't talk much, and went about their business fishing that night. Well, the local tourneys I have fished have been on a local river for the most part ( Muskingum) that I have grown up on. Well, in our past years we have seen some pretty damn big stringers brought in! But this night was about to yeild anything bigger or better than what I still to this day have ever seen! We all shown for the weigh in at 2 am, to see most locals weigh their weights, and the placing was falling in to place like usual. Then that team that was new to our tourney, went to the truck with the rubbermaid tank to bring the largest channel cats I can guarentee I will ever see in my life, and I will never see a 5 fish stringer of channels this big to the scales or caught for that matter on any method of fishing around here!!!! The only problem was 3 or 4 were dead floating! Fish not alive are not weighed! Me and my fishing partner held the largest 5 fish weigh -in ever for this tourney all-time weight at around 107 pounds or so, which included all flatheads, 2 over 40 by my partner Nick that night! Which I think is a damn good weight for a tourney on this river still today! We stood there looking at these fish, like everyone else like they were bringing something we have never imagined! Can't believe what we are seeing!!! A couple of us even went to count the fins to make sure they weren't blues! They were honest channel cats! Their weight would have been once weighed dead around 111 pounds on 5 of them if I remember right! They didn't get the win due to the fish being dead, and seemed almost not disappointed, which didn't set well for me... Anyone with a stringer like that should act excited, disappointed, etc. They simply took their dead fish back to the truck, dumped them back into the tank, and left! Come to find out later, one of the boys that entered was a local gamewarden's son! They fished a pond owned by an old couple that has fed them for years... Hear say is, ole dad got them permission to fish there for a tourney which results were always published in that county's newspaper...As long as the fish were brought back!:angry: Dunno what the later out come was, but the fish were dead! Sad story,,, and for those that don't believe a 5 fish weigh in on channels could go that big.... Ask luckey wade.. I believe he is related to the guy that ran the tourneys! This did happen, and I will probably never see a stringer of channels like that as long as I live! Anyways, just thought I would give you all a past-time experience being I don't get much time for new ones! LOL.. Hope you enjoyed!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! rollo

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good story Rollo. You have told me that one before, I believe it. I know of some ponds that hold 20+ pound channel cats. Sucks im not allowed to fish them! LOL! I hate to hear when people have no respect for trophy fish like that!

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    interesting story Jason. its a shame what some people will do to win a tourney. you would think a wardens son would know better and have better ethics.

4. duke1

duke1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've heard that one before too. People will try anything to come out on top no matter what there status in life is. Some big fish none the less.

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    well after reading you'r other 20 thread's :)smile2::smile2::wink:) i say to this one that it SUCK'S big time to see any kind of dead fish, what really burns my tail is seeing them dead on the bank, thanks for you're thread's, they keep Ohio moving:wink:

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great story Jason. There are some big channels out there.