The go 2 Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by somozajc, Oct 3, 2008.

1. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    I was wondering what is your go to bait for BlueGill? I want to know what Bluegill love to bite on. I'm planning to take my wife out and I would like to catch some Bluegill so we can go out at night for them big cats!

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer red worms for bluegills. Good luck fishing and welcome to the boc

3. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona

4. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Plain ol' nightcrawlers work fine. Just pinch small pieces of them off and put them on a #6 or #8 hook. The smaller the hook the better. If you put too big of a piece of worm on your hook, the gill's will just nibble it away that's why a really small hook with a small piece of crawler on it is the way to go.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Exactly what I was gonna say. It never fails me when I use them. You can also use corn, crickets, wax worms, meal worms, they'll eat about anything.

6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Exactly what i do too.

7. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    Kool, that is a good tip on the night crawler and hook. I was wondering whe them Bluegills were running off with them crawlers. I will definitly go out and get me some smaller hooks. Now, will treble hooks work? i find it easy using those with my kids.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I agree with the night crawlers.. Although, I have been trying the Berkley gulp night crawlers and they work just as good..

With the kids, go with a single barb hook with a long shank. It makes it easy to get the hook out, even if they get it in deep. Kids and treble hooks are not a good combination.. lol.

I use small Aberdeen hooks or small circle hooks with the kids..

Good luck with the cats bro.
    ~A

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I use panfish/trout worms, they are smaller than nightcrawlers. If I run out of these I use a small piece of nightcrawler. :big_smile:

10. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Little bit of night crawlers never fail!

11. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    +1 on the single barb hooks with kids.

Heck, those trebles bite me with my big fingers once in awhile.

12. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use a half of a berkeley gulp worm on a #8 gamakatsu hook. You can usually catch 2 or 3 gills without having to bait your line again and I find this saves me a lot of time. I mash down the barb too so I can just flip them right in the bait bucket without having to play "catch the needlefish".

13. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Nightcrawlers work! I did a test with nightcrawlers and the Gulp worms, since the gulp worms are handy. I fished at green valley lake and caught about 4 to 1 with the nightcrawlers. That was even after I had gotten the bluegill active. I was surprised there was a difference in the bite

14. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yeah, thats kind of what I suspected as well. Live bait always outfishes artificial.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The way the gills haven't been biting lately ,,, I've been thinkin about using Dupont Spinners,,,,:tounge_out::eek:oooh: