The Giant Nile Perch

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Ace, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    The Nile perch are the largest freshwater fish in the world that are readily accessible to anglers.
    There is an account from Lake Victoria where local fishermen caught an incredible (516lb) Nile perch. The most reliable record from Lake Nasser records a fish of (392lb). A 78-year-old tea planter from India landed the biggest Nile perch we have caught. There were no scales big enough to weigh this fish but careful measurements were made and it was reliably calculated to weigh some 250lb plus.
    The largest reliably record Nile perch from Lake Nasser is a fish of (392lb). was 6'2" long and had a girth of 4'11" Gerald Eastmure, a 78-year-old tea planter from India, landed this huge perch. There were no scales big enough to weigh the fish, which has been estimated to be(275lb+).:0a20:

Ace :cat:

N.C.

2. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    great pictures there Ace. looks like some awesome flathead bait!:grin-big: :grin-big:

3. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    looks like a giant large mouth bass

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    now i bet that would be some fun fishing.lol i wonder what they use for bait...[maybe small children] hey i wonder if i could hook one on my little rooster tail...hmmm maybe the whole rooster:)

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, with bait fish like that, the catfish must be just awsome ;)

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I saw a show on PBS on how these fish has eaten everything else that the fisherman in Lake Victoria had to quit fishing, move to the cities and get a job.

7. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I watched a show on t.v. on the nile perch and they were using GIANT rapala lures for these monsters. Looks like a blast!

8. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    imagine seein that just there in the river... wow what mother nature can do.
    Ps looks kindal ike a bass lol
    Joe

9. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I recently watched a 2 hour documentary about Lake Victoria and it's Nile Perch. Every village bordering Lake Victoria, the largest freshwater lake in the world, is completely dependant on commercial harvest of the Nile Perch. It said that 300 tons of Nile Perch are commercially harvested every day year round from the lake. Nile perch are not native to the lake, the Tanzanian government had been expereimenting with stocking Nile Perch in different fisheries, when It stocked 2 dozen tagged Nile Perch in Lake Victoria to see how they would do in the 1970s. The show said that the gigantic predators did amazingly well and had completely wiped out several species of other fish. Many of the fishermen said it was now uncommon to catch any fish other than Nile Perch, wheras many species were abundant only 20 years ago. It showed the fisherman catching, and docking with catches of the perch, and while nothing was ever said about their weighs, most of them looked upwards of 100 pounds, and many of them easily 200 or 300 pounds.