the Gaspergou

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by IowanInTexas, Dec 24, 2007.

1. IowanInTexas

IowanInTexas New Member

State:
    Texas now
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaspergou

We used to call these sheephead, or rockhead back home in Siouxland

I used to just kill them and leave them on the banks for the wild life but yesterday I read this:

This fish has a very firm, resilient flesh and is one of the few fish that produces a skinless fillet suitable for grilling. Because of its unique texture, it is also the fish of choice for a Cajun courtbouillion, a dish similar to the classic French bouillabaisse.
    I have been catching them on worms in the Lampasas river this winter.
    Question is anyone here ever ate them?

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Aint bad deepfried. I don't much care for it after it has been refridgerated.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Threw me off when you called it a gaspergou, thats what I have been calling grinnel for years.

4. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Bam
    I thought drum were gaspergou. If you look at pics I think what the LA boys call gaspergou are some type drum and grinnel are the sheephead. I would say grinnel ain't bad fried if you eat it right out of grease because if it gets a little cool it seems like a piece of cotton and will swell in your mouth and get dry and chewy:crazy:

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    We slip some in with crappie fillets from time to time. If you didn't know better, it is hard to tell the difference.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Sheepshead is another name for the freshwater drum. Grinnel is a bowfin.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I never heard of the fish before unless you is taking about Freshwater Drum.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Like some of the others have they are pretty good when fresh and they are hot

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    yeah, a gou is a freshwater drum.... grinnel is choupique (bowfin)

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    i've heard gaspergou/drum a gazillion times under my flatbottom. I've eat them filleted and fryed but agree they are best straight out of the grease. Fightin jokers ain't they.:smile2:

11. fishin addict

fishin addict New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like taking the flat stones out of their heads. They are said to be good luck but I give them away. I have eaten a few mixed in with other fillets & couldn't tell a difference. I have only kept them from clean waters and ones that were small.