The gar bug

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catman529, Mar 6, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The next few days will be 66, 61, 68, 62, 67 and 69 degrees. It won't be going below freezing at all, and maybe the water will warm up a little.

I wonder how warm it has to get before the gar start moving closer to the surface??? I have said it before - I got the gar fishing bug. But it is starting to warm up now and I am starting to get a little impatient.:big_smile: I start catfishing when it gets warm enough but I don't start gar fishing until I can see them in the water. Dang I hope it's soon!

Those of you who are already gar fishing (Stu for example) please post pics!:roll_eyes: I will start posting pics as well when I start catching em....

so stay tuned......

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Haha alright as soon as I tie into some good ones I'll get some pictures up... Was down on my luck last weekend, lots of takers but none landed. I guess I'm a little rusty from such a long time of not catchin spots, :embarassed: . Water temps over here were in the 68-70 degree range, gar all over the surface ONLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY. Also the coulee with these spotted/(rare) gator gar I have never seen a longnose, EVER...so I don't know what they are up to.

I would go this weekend and try for some but a front came through and dropped the water temps a lot, and I have a lacrosse tournament in Biloxi, MS. :angry: Can't wait till the water stabalizes nice and warm, good luck on your gar catching!

3. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Im out in a few days, If I catch one I will post me pic on my return.

I did hear that most die due to being gut hooked as gut hooking them is the only sure way to get them to the bank.

Is this true?

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Where you goin and for what???

I know I have gut-hooked many (spotted gar), but I always take the hook out before returning the gar back to the water. Their blood is surprisingly sticky and they clot up very fast! (where as a bass will die in a few minutes if bleeding badly)

This is why using nylon rope lures for LONGNOSE ONLY* (they don't work on any other gar, except maybe small gator-gar) is such a great deal, but one must be completely sure to remove all nylon threads from the snout.

**Wow and if you are in the U.K. right now it must be the wee hours in the morning!!!

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have made some rope lures and I plan on making some more.

One question - are these re-usable after you catch gar with them? I would think they would get too badly tangled and would have to be thrown out. I haven't used them yet so I don't know.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We rutinely use our rope flies after catching fish, in fact I would say i can get anywhere between 2-6 fish per fly , the key here is to buy a heavy duty metal dog brushing comb. after the fish is all tangled up, and you remove it just do your best to brush it out like a batch of knotted hair,
    On our flies, we use barbless hooks so the rope doesnt get caught in it and youll be supprised what else youll catch with them, Ive taken crappies, rock bass, smallmouth and a sauger on these flies so keeping a hook in them is recommended
    Salmonid