The Game of Chess

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Sentry Dog Man, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I have recently begun trying to learn how to play chess. Due to the influence of my great nephew (13 yrs old), who I have fished with most of this past summer. He has spent most every weekend with us since June.

Anyway, he wanted us to play some chess when he came over. So, I got a chess set and a few books on the game (to get familiar with the rules and moves). Thus, we have played a few games in the past couple of weeks. And, as a result, it has really gotten me interested in the game. I find it to be quite intriguing, although extremely exasperating. Since I really don't know what I am doing. Sure, I know how the pieces move. But, there is a lot more to it than that. You have to plan, defend, attack etc etc.. And, apparently, learn how to visualize how the board will look after several moves have been made, even before you have made your move.

Anyway, since I do not have anyone to play/practice with (other than my nephew for a game or two on weekends, if he gets to come over). I thought maybe I could find a "rookie" chess player amongst the Brotherhood, who is wanting to learn how to play as well. And, would be willing to play some games with me, throughout the winter. Swapping moves (at least one a day) via the PM on this site. It might prove to be a learning experience and a means to pass the time away when we cannot pursue our whiskered advesary throughout the upcoming months.

Now, again, I say, " I am looking for a "rookie", a beginning chess player (like me) to play with, not a seasoned or intermediate player". One who does not really know what he is doing and makes bunches of mistakes (like I do). Since, I do not see that I can learn that much from/or provide a decent level of competition to someone who is so much more advanced than myself. Since, if you know the game so well and don't make that many mistakes, how could I ever learn how to capitalize on the mistakes, if you don't make any.

Also, I know there are chess programs available. So, please don't accept my plea for a game and then pit me against a computer game that you have and letting the computer game make your moves against my moves. But, rather, let us learn together. And, see if we can learn how to play this game a bit better. And, maybe advance to a higher level.

If you are a "rookie" and ready to play a game. Post here or send me a PM and we will try and get things rolling and decided by some means, who will play black or white. By, maybe using the rock, paper or scissors game.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Good luck on finding someone. I used to love to play chess but I haven't in several years. I even have a nice set that I rec. as a gift several years ago that I haven't taken out of the box. Seems I don't have time these days.

3. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Cheryl, thanks for the reply. I would ask this of you, "How long have/did you play? And, "How much progess (advancement in level) did you make while playing?" "How much study time did you put in?" "Were you a member of a chess club in school?" "Did you have a coach?" Or, "Did you learn from books and just practice games with others on your level?"

And, now for a quote (from someone whose name I have forgotten) concerning time. "A person can always find time for those things that he/she wants to do or achieve. Since, it "boils down" to one's desire and motivation, to acquire and obtain the desired result and/or object that one is seeking. Thus, they will devote the time necessary to achieve a goal or dream. If, they have enough self-motivation and discipline."

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pick up a chess game for the computer, that should help you hone your skills! ;)

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    My hubby taught me how to play chess when we first started dating, and I managed to beat him maybe 2-3 times. :eek: We haven't played in at least 6 years, but I might be the level of experience you need. I want to brush up myself, since I'd like to buy him a board for Christmas this year.

Send me a PM if you are interested, I think we could sign up through Yahoo games, prolly. I am now working M-F, 9-5, though.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I take it you only like the squares that drop? :p

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    yep yahoo is a good way to learn

dont dismiss the idea of playing a sesoned player as if you log his moves you can in turn you them on him the next time or others

i have played off and on for 15 years but the last 10 years less ans less
    till i played on yahoo.

there are a few i played that could kill you in about 6-7 moves and after watching there attack i copied there moves and started to squelch there
    success LOL the old saying give them some of there own medicine.

i'm a fair to middlin player i guess but i would love to play anyone that would like to play me.

8. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I play chess at yahoo games, but advanced level. My point is, if u cant find anybody on here to play, then u can go to yahoo games, beginner level and play against an opponent with a rating no more than 1150 and if thats too hard then play against people with a lesser rating than that. Id advise you to "create your own table" because if u sit at someone elses table they could somehow sneak and set a timer on the game for one minute at the same time that u hit start. Then, next thing you know, two moves into the game, u lose! If u create your own table you can set your own time if any, youcan chose where to sit(white/black) you can boot the more advanced people who sit at your table(i know that sounds rude, but its not, or u can tell them they are too high i guess). Also, if you go to the social level, most people will let you watch their game. Watching is a good way to learn because u get to see how and why certain moves are made in offense/defense. I had trouble learnin fromthe books, too technical. I watched, practiced, played people better than me, learned from my mistakes and thier advances...got prettty good, pretty fast. So if you want to learn, playing people that are a little better than you will make you better faster....Hope this helps..Oh, also, RadioShack has this magnetic computerized chessboard where u push the moving piece down onto the square its moving to etc..It will play on a bunch of levels. I believe the most basic one is like about 20bux. They are very helpful as they giveu a better "onboard"visual and u can play by yourself against the comp, or u can use it as a regular chessboard.....Ok, now im done, hope this helps..

9. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Hey Sentry, I needed that quote today, I think im Gonna hit the waters tonite(after church of course)...Been "too busy bein busy"

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    Royal, thanks for shareing that information.
    i have learned something from that .
    i was wondering about that timer thing i sure was gotten a few times with that i think.

i will get back into the yahoo chess my user name is thegoodthebaldandtheugly

it fits me to a tee :rolleyes: well the bald and ugly do anyway LMAO.

good post Royal!

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i learned back in grade school. i love to play a game or two anytime. haven't plaYED IN A WHILE. GREAT SKILL GAME.

12. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Thanks, glad i can help..My name on there is Nthelord. Im about 1700rating, but when i play friends who arent my level,i give them my queen in exchange for a pawn, or do what i can to level the playing field. In fact, im teaching a good friend to play now( we play unrated games)I move, he moves, i ask him why i moved, why he moves and if he cant explain it then i do. ONe thing about chess, you have to have a reason for doing what u do and u have to assume your opponent has a reason for thier moves also...And of course the point then would be to figure out that reason, and to counter with an unsuspected reaction....well u know that already..I just love the game is all

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    hey royal,

mike (sentry dog) and i are in a email game right now.
    i want to get a couple medium sized magnetic boards and would be
    interested in a couple games ongoing over email if you are interested
    lemme know.
    i was lookin at some online chess programs that i could use for this so i could just click on and resume whenever i wanted any ideas?
    thanx darryl

by the way wat did that monster weigh in your profilepic?

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Mike,

Royal hit the nail on the head with his information on Yahoo Games. Before I joined the BOC that was my favorite stomping ground, and I still go back there from time to time to play my favorite game. For me, chess is the greatest game in the world. It encompasses players from all ages, with the only limitation being your strategic prowess. Yahoo Chess is great because you can have the results mailed to you and replay the game as was stated. I am check2urmajesty there, and have been rated as high as 1554 briefly LOL, but realistically I believe I'm somewhere around 1480 to 1500 (my best game was beating a 1600 player, but it took everything I had LOL) Don't hesitate to play better players because that's how you improve your game. If you see me there stop in for a game...take care

Vic Brown

P.S. Royal if you see me in there I'd be happy to play a game with you at odds with a queen. :0a1: It would be fun...

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have played chess from the time I was 10 years old to present and I was told this and I beleive it is true to some aspect. You are only as good as your best apponent. I think what this means is that you learn from your mistakes.

When I play, I like sollitude to keep my mind clear and sharp. Keep that in mind when playing a game and it will improve your playing skills tremendously. Concentration is vital to the game!!!

16. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Vic,

Yeah, Royal gave some great info here and also to me in a PM. I went to Yahoo games (Chess) and navigated around for a bit, watched a couple of games in progress etc.. For whatever reason, when I look at the chess board on the computer and watch very fast moves taking place and with time limits etc. I get very intimidated. And, just recently I downloaded GNU chess for my computer and have tried playing a few games against it. And, it swoops down upon me and stomps the crap out of me on every move. Seems, I can't do anything right and/or I can never spot any mistake that it makes (if it makes any). I think it is to strong an opponent for me.

On the other hand, in my current e-mail game with Darryl (DRC), I don't feel as intimidated. I have the physical board in front of me, no pressure to move in a given amount of time etc. And, am really enjoying the game. However, right now he is starting to unleash his vengance upon me :cry-big:, after I really was beginning to think that I had him nailed. Could he have lured me in :confused: :D ? I really think I blew it when I castled. Since, I think I had some momentum going for me. Darryl, might tell you more about that.

Anyway, until I get more comfortable with the game. I think I am better off playing a slow paced game via e-mail. And, having a physical board in front of me. And, not having pieces assailing me so rapidly like they do from GNU chess. Gosh, that works on my nerves.

Thanks for your input, Vic.

Mike

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    this will be the first game i have ever logged the moves on.
    the castleing move i dont think was necessarily bad to do.
    maybe the timeing wasnt right?
    i started to think i was about to be annihalated and
    was thinking i got duped into a death match LMAO
    however i would like to get some input on the roles of
    defense and offense.
    should the defense make no advancements against the offense
    and strickly defend?
    or is it every man for himself and acceptable for black to engage
    in attacking at any time ?

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok sentry dog. i got your p.m. and would be glad to play ya a game or two. me and josh played some when my pc was un infected with tens of thousands of adware viruses on yahoo messenger. now im stuck with not much but a pile of kicked and punched apart heap on the floor with wires sticking out and barly works. i would love to play a game on the p.m. but do not know the whole e3 to e4 thingy. give me a board lay out. always played by looking at a board. i have no idea the grid layout of the game. lol. im old school chess. rook takes the knight kind of thing.

19. shadow

shadow New Member

I have played quite a bit and thought I was pretty good at it--UNTIL-- I married and brought up the subject of chess. The "war dept" brought out a chess set and beat my A$$ like I was a rank beginner every time we set up the board. I had NO chance of winning. It was like playing Bobby Fisher and the computer at the same time. :crying:

The chess board,Kings,Queens,Rooks,Knights,Bishops and Pawns are now resting peacefully somewhere out in the tool shed. :rolleyes:

20. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Sorry i couldnt get back to this thread. You do know that u can save a game at yahoo dont you? if ur comfortable playin email then by all means do, but u can play against someone, then request either "cancel, or save or foreit" game...if the opponent agrees, u can save game. Then whenever the two of you are in the same room at the same time it will give u the option of resuming game in progress(which u can arrange via yahoo instant messenger). Just go to room then send your friend the instant message telling him what level,room, table ur at. I make table private until my friend gets there then i invite him. That way i dont have to boot anybody. Anyhow it will give u the option of resuming game. Also, if timer intimidates you, you can create your own table and dont select timer. then you can take your time. Hope this helps.