The Freekin' Catfish Guy Won Again?!?

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by ratkinson, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    This past weekend I participated in a small tourney on Cross Lake. It's a Mom & Pop affair. No big money or sponsors just a $20 a head Day of fishing with the Longest fish taking 70% of the purse and 30% for the shortest fish. All the captains are long time participants and keep things on the up and up.
    Despite protest it is the fishes length not heft that counts in this one. They made it so the same person cant win both payouts. (some BOC guy walked with all the cash last year) Well I must say I messed around with some pike lures for a bit, then got down to buisness. Between me and the other three guys on my boat we boated over a hundred pounds of catfish. Not monsters like some of you guys catch but a good number of 6-10lb fish were mixxed in there. I let a youngster assigned to my boat use my ultra light because he was so excited he forgot his pole. With my past experience and the wealth of knowledge I've picked up here, I had boats following us around the lake to see what we were gonna do, what we were using , how we were zeroing in on the fish.....etc. My young friend with some coaching frrom myself landed the second biggest fish of the day on an ultralight. I don't think he or I will ever forget that one. I had the big fish of the day on, he was trying to get the other lines out of the way when his pole went down. For a while our lines were twisted and we couldn't tell if it was one fish or two. when the lines seperated I told the net man to stay with him. I just let my fish play while I explained to him what the drag was and how to use it. He listened to everything I said and put it into practice perfectly. His cousins still wont talk to him they are so jealous. The net man said you know if you'd have lost that fish you would have lost the tourney....I told him it would have been worth it to see the look on that kids face. The only part of the day that came close to that was during the "weigh" in. When I heard a group of Bass guys saying, "The freekin' catfish guy won again." Thank you BOC.
    (Big fish was a 10 lb Channel cat.)
    Rich
    (All our fish were taken on Nightcrawlers or Cutbait)
    :wink:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Congradulations on your catches and for showing those other B--- guys up. You probably made a friend for life with that young man.Of course the freekin Catfish Guy won Again were the best out there aren't we.:big_smile:

3. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrads to you for the fish and the youngster. There is nothing like given a kid a chance for a smile and a memory like that.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Way to represent the BOC and all catfisherman!

How much did you win, Richard?

5. Spurhunter

Spurhunter New Member

State:
    TN
  6. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Man, this was definitely worth some smiles. You know at least a few of those other fisherman are secretly (looking over both shoulders first) casting out there trying to catch one of those lunker cats. Nice job!

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    That is hilarious. Thanks for a good laugh & congrats on winning the tournament.

8. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Way to go you freakin catfish guy!

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Thats something that kid will never forget. Way to pass on the passion to the next generation. Congrats on the win.

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wouldn't have expected anything less...:cool2::smile2: Congrats...

11. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    LOL tell them that how we ROLL!! LOL

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ain't life great. LOL! Thanx for sharein.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Way to go Richard! :big_smile: Great to hear "The freakin' catfish guy won again!"

14. BeastReleaser

BeastReleaser Member

State:
    PA
    its good to know that there are good men(and women) representing our sport and way of life. keep it up.

15. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Richard
    What can I say some people just have class and you are one of them. You done yourself and us up proud. A high five from me. Luck