The Folly of Fishing with Mice

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Netmanjack, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    First, where are you going to get a steady supply of bait? Grow your own you say? Well all I know is if a bait fish jumps out of a tank it just flops around on the floor and dies, a mouse escape leaves little brown poop in your breakfast cereal!
    Practically speaking, how would you transport them? I am assuming you would need a dozen or more along just like any other bait. Have you ever tried to catch a mouse that fell in a grain bucket running for it's life? Their a lot slipperier than blue gill and not confined to the water. It would be a good bet that you would loose two or three up your arm, and maybe even one down the neck of your shirt every time you tried to bait up! Then there is the question of will it draw a big Flathead in once you manage to get it out in the water. First thing that comes to my mind is stamina. How long can this little fella tread water? If you haven't taken the time to train the little fella for a couple of months running marathons and swimming laps, the chances of it living long enough for a hit will be short lived, incidentally causing you to bring another bucket of mice along. I might suggest here a tiny surf board or life preserver if it weren't so cost prohibitive, coast guard approved vest and epoxied short boards are expensive.
    What about drawing in a big Flathead out of it's lair with this tiny morsel? I think that if the fish in question was in the party mode and crazing on hors d'oeuvre's
    you might have a chance, but I think that most of the fat cats will be waiting on the main course.
    Setting all of this practical stuff aside, I would like to be invited along on a trip where this method is being applied, as I would thoroughly enjoy sitting back with beer and blunt in hand, to gain the mental and physical benefits that comes with pure laughter....:cool2::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    blow some of that blunt on em and i bet they tame down

3. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    No, you've got it all wrong! I've caught some of my biggest flatheads on mice. The concerns you mention above about breeding, handling and tranporting mice have all been flawlessly worked out by the big snake keepers. But forget the surfboard and lifevest. You've got to go deep to get the really big flatheads. The real problem with mice is that they can't hold their breath for all that long. But I finally solved that little problem. Get you two airgun co2 cartriges, replace the co2 with oxygen and rig it up like a scuba tank. I can't give you all the details, it would ruin the challenge for you. Just be sure you don't put any goggles on him because he might break your line when he sees that monster coming at him.:wink:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    lmao knock a hole in it and watch it shoot through the water like a torpedo lure :smile2::smile2::smile2: almost peed my pants thinking about that

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am speechless!!!:smile2::smile2: rollo

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Speechless is an exception to the word oh yea me too!

7. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Jack, i understand some of your concerns.. but like mentioned above, anyone that has has reptiles, has overcome the task of handling and raising mice. ive never used one for bait, BUT i have seen one swim.. for a very long time! it was kinda funny. i was fishing with a friend of mine that has snakes. well while unloading gear, he found a mouse in his suv that had escaped a few days prior. without wanting to let the mouse get away, he quickly snatched that sucker up n tossed him in the water. that little mouse swam around for about 2 hours before we lost sight of it. i really dont think it drowned as it was still very active leading up to the disappearing act. fish got it? maybe?

8. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a snake and have used live mice to feed before I switched to frozen as live mice can bite and scar your snake when they get wrapped.

They really aren't as hard to handle as one would think. The neighbor kids would want to see em. They could hold them pretty easily and these mice weren't tame either. Only think I'd worry about is being bitten while you wrestled one onto a hook with the neat rubber band idea-gloves would be a must.

In a bucket I can't see them crawling up your arm. More often than not at the pet store the girls didn't want to catch my mice and I'd to it for them, they herd around and pile up in corners and were super easily caught, they don't go for your hand and crawl up sleeves. In a bucket they go in circles and pile on each other..just pluck one off the top.

I'd try it. Why not? I bet pinkies would be a good channel bait.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio

thank you

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    If ya blow that "blunt" on them mice it's gonna cost ya extra food:eek:oooh::tounge_out: They will be extra hungry:wink:

11. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    VERY HUNGRY:cool2: