The flathead record..

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Damian_Storm, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    Man is anyone ever gonna break our record flathead ? 79 lbs is a biggg fish but you guys know as well as i do there are bigger ones out there..It is my goal i will tell ya that..So whats everyone think?? Can we break it in the next few years?? Where do you guys think it might come from??? My vote is either catarac or the southern end of the white river...

side note; if any of you guys live near yoemen indiana i will be in town at the old auction house wrestling in a tag match 4:00...c-ya

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been told by several guys that Catarac is gonna' be the spot for the next IN record flattie. I guess we'll have to wait & see!

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    you guys havnt heard, that record beauty is sitting in my fishing hole on the wabash waiting for me.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know how you feel, the ohio flathead record has stood since the 70's..With all the people catfishing now, it's hard to believe it still stands.

5. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I gonna have to agree that Catarac is probably the spot. There are some huge flatties in there. If not there then I would guess it would be the Ohio River.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Thats one big fish. But with all the people fishing for cats it is hard not to see it beaten as flathunter said.

7. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Yah guys, we need to quit dilly-dallying around and break one of the State records! I mean, what's going on here? We need to step up our game and do it this year! Come on team, it's the fourth quarter and time is running out, are we just going to choke like the Colts did this year? Or are we going to prevail and come out victorious? Alright, hands in the middle and team on three..1,2,3...TEAM!! I hope this little pep talk was enough to motivate us. Good Luck Fishin Brothers, the time is near!!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if indiana would stop the comercial crap and or get some regs! you guys on the bash, white, or ohio mite break it. makes you wonder if any of those 30+ fish that are taken yearly would have grown to pass the record. im sure if the fish were left to grow the record would have been broken many times.:sad:

9. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    logic and facts do point to cataract for the new record, but instinct tells me it will be outta the white down south(near where the current record was caught), or outta the wabash. the big ones are in there its just gonna be alot harder to pull one outta a snag in the river than it would be fightin em in open water at the lake.........anyways I don't care where it comes from I just hope one of us gets the honor of bringin it in, having it certified and then watching it swim away:rolleyes:

goodluck everybody, hope to meet as many of you as I can this year on the water.

10. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have definately seen them come out of catarac but, i can't catch a catfish from a resivour to save my life..i do know there are some giants still in the white..i was fishing a few years ago down around the waverly area and it was just getting dark..i was on an outside bend with a huge old tree extending out into the river..the set up i was using was a tuna stick for a rod 80lb. braid 10 ought circle with a 12" 45 lb leader and about an 8 inch gill..things were great..dead silence then all the sudden ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...this dude was cuttin' some water..i am cranking on him he's not budgin at all!!! the fight only lasted a few minutes then all the sudden Bam ! the line breaks..i flip out cause this thing was bigger than any fish i have ever tangled with....i mean the power was scary..i have caught tons of 30's but this was 10 times the fish they were..i'm not too small..245 lbs and bench around 350 or so and i wasn't jack for this fish it was unreal..anyway when i reeled the rest of my line in , my leader was broke right in the middle...i would guess this fish to be in the 60's atleast....

11. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Another reason Catarac is optimal is because it doesn't receive as much catfish fishing pressure as most of the rivers do. Most people that go to catarac fish for walleye and crappie. On the other hand a lot of the people that fish rivers are going for cats or smallmouth. The lower falls on catarac is supposed to be an excellent location.

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    What type of structure are these flats in catarac holding to. Trees or rocks. Has anybody caught any flats over 80lbs from there by other means?

13. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    There are all kinds of structure in catarac. There are some islands accessible if you have a boat as well as rocks and brush/logs. Also the river that runs into catarac is a good place to fish. I havent heard of any 80+ lbers coming from there but there are some very big fish in there and there isnt a lot of fishing pressure for flatheads there. Also some nice blue cats and channels.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i will have to get the boat down there this year i guess. sounds like a good reservior. can i count on someone to tag along as a guide?

15. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    We are going to have to have a get together and hit Cataract in May or June, not unless you guys know when the Prime Time to hit the big flatties there. We'll make it a boating gathering and cover a lot of ground. We'll get walkie talkies and communicate to all the boats. I'm getting way to excited about this. I haven't gone fishin in forever!:sad:

16. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    you know guys whats funny is that the dnr predict catarac for the next big flathead as well as most of us but, i have a buddy i went to school with and they have a cabin on the back side of the lake..there's a spill way and a park and farther down there's a fence and it's private property..that creek has monster cats in it..they use a lot of limb lines there with mostly big fat gills on them but, they don't catch all that many big flatheads..46 lbs. the biggest i know of..but they catch tons of blues..50's to 70lbs quite often...they lake is untapped for monster blues...nobody hardly ever fishes for catfish there it is walleye and crappie..so it just might be a gold mine for cats this year...

17. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    There was an article late last summer where a couple of fisherman caught a near state record flathead from Cataract last year. By the stores scales it would have beat the record but after the scales were checked they were wrong. I believe it still weighed over 60+lbs.

18. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have no doubt they're in there i am gonna try to fish it alot more this year. my only problem is i can't catch a cat in a lake to save my life..lol

19. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    It seems to be a bit harder in a lake. Cataract is a pretty big body of water as well. I have only been there a couple of times and haven't been able to catch anything of any size yet. There is a catfishing guide on cataract. If you are interested let me know and I'll send you a private message with his info. I have wanted to get out with him for a while but haven't found anyone to go with me to split the cost. I think it is beneficial to have a boat there. I finally got a boat so hopefully this will be the year. I think we are going to try and get some of the Indiana members together for a cataract gathering later this year.

20. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Yah, that was a terrible story. They thought they had the State Record and they put it in the back of their truck to get it weighed and they thought they had the record but the scales weren't certified and gave a innaccuarate weight. The Catfish died and they put in in the freezer. I don't know if they were going to eat it.:0a11: I think I would rather get it stuffed and mounted. That sucks that the fish died though. In a few more years it could have been the State Record.:mad: Hey Joe, we don't need no stinkin guides. When we go there for the gathering, Eric and Reece both got new fish finders, which should make it a little easier for us to find the Hawgs.;) If we go there a couple of times and not catch crap, then we might have to hit up the guide.LOL!!