the flathead catfish vs the blue catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 1, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    whose the bader harder more agresive cat the blue or flat, whos meaner, i know blues get a bit bigger and there are more, but which is more dominat and more of a challenge to get in

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You know im going to say flatheads but I have never fought with a 70lb blue in currents so hard you need 16+ ounces of lead to sink the bait:roll_eyes:

3. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I can't say about anyplace else but here I think if you put a cold deep water winter blue @ 40lbs against a warm water 40lb flathead, it's a hard call, both have no sense of humour.

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I have to say blues, they are mean, fight from begining to end. alot of times flats will just real in until the get close to the surface(not always). JMHO

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Flatheada are alot stronger then blues. Both fish have different styles of fighting. Blues will run on you alot. Flathead are just the oppsite. they will come straight back to the boat , then head straight to the bottom. Pure bulldog tactics. I think the flatheads are just alot stonger and meaner. One thing I have noticed is that blues will fight harder in a current situation.

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    LOL! Thats awesome. And very true. They just try to tear stuff up when they are that size. lol I'd have to say blues based on the fact that I've never caught a flathead over 20 pounds but I've caught much bigger blues and they always act like they want to take your rod away from you.

7. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Noodlin' a blue will get your attention , he will snap your arm off and take you to the bottom and try to drown you..The blue gets my vote for jaw strength and visicouness..
    The flatty will still hold his own in a fight but will be nicer about it.

Either one is capable of removing all the line in a reel when bank fishing .

Come prepared when tangling with the 2 meanest cats around:wink:

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Flats have the power and get my vote, the bigs ones always take line and are alot harder to get in then blues in my opinion. Two different fighting styles.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    cant say they both have there own unique way of fighting hard and in certain waters you could choose one or the other so i really cant say.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Both species have earned my respect.....every ounce of it!!!!:crazy:

11. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    respect both but i'm a flattie guy,of course:wink: i don't bitch if a blue decides to dine on my bait:eek:oooh:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea ive heard flats are meaner, but , blues are in more current and run , so i gues its something youd half to figer out in a lake stocked with both, me im still waiting on a 40 and up blue, only got a tan pounder, on, but never got a picter, if its not ten pounds its bait, im in central illinois and i wanna go get one around alton

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would like to be able to catch both, but I cant! :embarassed: All I catch is Channels!

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im heading to a lake next weekend to fish four blues, , my vote goes to a flat sice they burry you in snagges, havent coult a blue but i caght a big channel it ran faster but stayed ontop

15. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    From my experience and from what I have been told, if you tied a 40 pound flathead and a 40 pound blue together, the flathead would drag the blue around the lake all day long.
    I guess it is the tail of the flathead isn't forked as much as that of the blue so it gets more strength in each sweep of the tail.

16. Richmond River Rat

Richmond River Rat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Blues are pitbulls of the water. flatheads are mean but their jaws can actually apply more pressure but the flatheads more agressive by far

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    That's a pretty safe answer, LOL.

I know one thing, a big blue is way harder to land off the bank than a Flathead once he is on shore. The blues will roll like crazy and bit your hand WAY harder than a flat can. But... if you wear a blue out he will float up and come in....a flathead dont play that game, he will see you and head out again.....all ya gotta do is show him your headlamp and its on again, LOL.

Honestly they both rock in their own way.

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

You will catch most of your blues in the channel "heavy current" so that is always to their advantage. However I have hooked some big flatties in slackwater and they have ran to the current and let me tell you!!! When that flat head of theirs hits fast moving water it can get pretty exciting! That flat head on them acts like a deep water lure in current except much larger!.. Imagine a forty pound crank bait that has a mind of it's own in fast moving water! My vote still stays with the flathead current or no current.

19. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have to agree with John here. I haven't caught many big flatties, but a 50 pound + blue will leave you worn out no matter how big of gear you got. I am sure a 50+ pound flat would do the same.:smile2:

20. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    its hard to say which is better because it all depends on whats more available for you to fish for and what you have had the most experience with but either way if you hook into a good'un they will wear you out and make you like it but the one thing i like best about flats is no matter how hard you try to wear em out they still suprise you with that sudden burst of energy and put ya on your backside for a min just my .02