The Flathead Catfish that thought it was a Saugeye...

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Oct 24, 2009.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hit the GMR today from 12pm till about 6pm with fellow BOC member Chubbahead. started off fishing a 16ft hole where i thought the flatheads would be gathering for the winter. after about 2 hours we had nothing to show for and Phil busted out the channel cat outfit and started cutting up live bait. he managed i think 6 channels and i was starting to wonder about the spot holding any Flatties. got bored and decided to borrow his Saugeye pole and head upstream a ways when all of a sudden one of my flattie poles took off that i had baited with a Madtom catfish. caught a 16lb flattie that had an unusually "shoveled head" :wink:. after about 15 min i decided to take that saugeye pole and head upstream again.

was casting a 3/8 ounce jighead with a white twister tail in 6-8ft of water, and on my third cast i thought i got snagged but it turned out to be a really BIG fish! fought it for about 10 seconds and it got off. on the second cast i hooked into yet another monster! it seemed a little smaller and after about 20 seconds it got off as well. was debating heading back down and getting my bigger poles and some cut bait but thought "one more time". yes, i hooked another big cat on a twister-tail! this time i set the hook really good. fought it for quite a while and then called phil on his cell phone to come up there with a scale and a camera. after about a 20 min fight on a 6'6 med action rod and 10lb line i subdued the beast. it weighed 28lb exactly. took a few pics and released him. we came back with our heavier gear thinking they were stacked in there thick but never managed another, even tried the twister again too. we did however manage 4 more channels, including about an 8lb channel Phil caught dragging cut sucker along the bottom.

[​IMG]

...and the "Shovel-Head".

[​IMG]

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Real nice flathead catfish!

Time to buy some twister tails! :smile2:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nicely done and a good report!

Bill in SC

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's just awesome!

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    those are some nice flatties! seems i need to be out sauger fishing if i am wanting to catch me a big flattie! thanks for shareing

6. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice fish! Bet that was a heck of a fight on that light a rod.

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Nice fish and a great story Mike. Congrats!

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    That 28 pounder was so exciting. Dink calls me midfight, "dude, grab the camera and the scale and get over here, I got a 30 pounder on."

My reply, "yeah right, quit messing with me."

Dink-"seriously man, I already had two other big ones get off."

So, I start to believe, and take off thinking he probably has a big carp or maybe nothing at all and he just wants to see me run 200 yards and be out of breath.

That was a nice healthly fish. It was a medium action rod, with a shimano spirex 2000 reel. That reel holds a max of 100 yards of 10 pound line, and it probably only had 60 yards on it at most. That fish was landed in some pretty heavy current as well. Congrats Dink.

Everyone run out and get some white twister tails, chartruese jig head. Its the hot bait!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good fish Dink. I was just telling someone the other day in a thread about catching flatheads by accident on twister tails in january and feb. fishing for saugeyes. So I believe it! Good looking fish! Congrats.... rollo

10. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Nice flats dink

11. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Congrats Mike. Those are nice fish.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  12. hunted