The flathead catfish on the Caney River won't be safe now.

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcentral, Oct 17, 2008.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've got a couple sections of river where the big boat won't go...too heavy. The last couple of years I've been looking for a 12 to 14 foot all welded jon like my 17 footer. I was driving home today and found this and took it home. It's a 14 foot alumaweld jon with a little mod v. My other boat is a Alumaweld also it just looks like a mini me version. I threw the 9.9 Johnson I had in the shed on and it runs super. The boat was sitting in a barn for 15 years and looks almost new. There's lots of river here in town that I really couldn't reach until now.

FLATHEADS BEWARE

Dobbie we will have to set some lines this spring.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Nice little boat, Chris. Watch out flatheads, for sure. I might add, watch out blues, also.

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Great looking boat! Good luck on the flatheads!:smile2:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Wish ya nothin but the best!:wink:

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Real nice lookin rig Chris. Nice find. Time for slime.:smile2:

6. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've gotta agree with the others here... nice lookin little boat!

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Wow!!! Awesome looking boat. You mind me asking at least how much you think I could find one like it for?

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Finding a used small 12 to 14 foot all welded jon are pretty rare to come by...they last forever for the most part and most don't part with them at least not for a premium. I looked for 18 months for one that was reasonable price...riveted jons are still easy to come by. Your going to spend a min of 1000.00 for a welded jon but half that for a typical used riveted jon. Watch your local Craigslist pretty regular and you should find a deal. Good Luck.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Sweet boat, sometimes you just have to down size to catch the big ones. Good luck

10. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Nice boat, now go gettem!!:wink:

11. dobbie

dobbie Member

I'm ready any time Chris.I hope it will hold up,because your big boat is like a bulldozer.We need to put some lines up at Hulah next spring also.

12. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I hope it holds up also, I'm pretty sure it will. That section of the caney has tons of hiddens trees right under the water. I found a lot of them Friday afternoon when I took it for a test run. I'm already wanting a bigger motor...it's rated for up to 25hp. The 9.9 johnson did ok but gps showed about 12 mph tops. Maybe I really don't need much faster with all those hidden trees in there.:tounge_out:

13. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris- Are you interested in a used 25 HP Nissan with electric start? Nissan makes Mercury 4 strokes from 25 HP and down? I think I know where a good used one is that is reasonable, if you are interested then send me a PM.
    catman george

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a great looking boat, congrats and good luck

15. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Hey Dobbie,

Clear out your PM messages. I couldn't reply back to your message your full until you empty out some.

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Chris, Congrats on the mini me boat, that's pretty cool. Maybe you could collect a whole fleet of them in different sizes? For navigating the stumps and submerged trees I would probably stick with the 9.9

17. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    The wife was out of town when I picked that boat up. She wasn't thrilled but I told her I just need one more boat and I'll be done. :tounge_out: I'd like to get a 20ft or better in the next few years. That 9.9 will get me there but there's about 40 miles of new river to explore and the little motor seems a little slow. I'll have to deal with it for right now...no funds for a larger motor till at least spring. Sure would like a 4 stroke 20 or 25 hp....we always seem to want more.

18. dobbie

dobbie Member

Chris its empty now.

19. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    If / when the time comes for you to upgrade, lemme know if you want to sell the 9.9!

20. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm suffering from boat envy.:wink: Sweet boat.