The flathead catfish bite been suckin' for you too?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by drpepper, Sep 19, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anybody else noticed a poor flattie bite these last couple weeks?

I've came dangerously close to getting flattie skunked the last couple weeks I've been out.. For example, last night. I had only two takes in 4 hours. The other two guys had NO takes at all. Even more odd was that not even gar or turtles played around with the baits. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep TOO MUCH HORSEPLAY. :smile2: jk

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I gotta rep ya on that one LOL

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's been a week since I've been out, but yeah, the last couple weeks have been pretty lame. We'ld get one fish a night & that would be about the only bite.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know my story, 20 straight skunkings over here, should be prime time, my bad luck has crossed the boarder.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know people who sware my the barameter, it has been very high for the last 3 weeks, to high for the flathead bit acording to some.

7. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Its been the same way here in NC of the flatties. Farely dissapointing.

8. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    flathead fish much but the few that we have been catching have all been suspended and caught drifting. Like I said this is a very small # of fish. The guy who bought steves pontoon caught a 45# flatty last week drifting. Maybe time to go to a bobber and let it walk through what you are fishing. Could be wrong just a thought.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I went back thru my posts and it looks like I was having just about the same problem this time last year- easy to forget stuff.
    Skippy2use, You could be onto something- maybe getting the bait up off the bottom could help.... I'll give it a shot in some form or fashion and be sure to credit you if it works.

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill you are also forgetting that there have been alot more people fishing that area.. last time we were on the river there was 3 other boats and bank fishermen.. Plus I beleive the guy that passed us the night he said he caught two flatties and a channel was limb lineing. He was staying on the banks and not setting up to fish rod and reel.... He and others may be keeping everything they catch... :angry::angry:

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ehhh, I doubt it... not many catfisherman putting much pressure out there that I see.Might be Everyone's smarter- not wanting to get their vehicles broken into and vandalized. No, I've concluded they're doing something like this every year at this time- and I just need to work to find them is all.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    gee thanks for changin' my title.... Kyle:roll_eyes::tounge_out:

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    the bite has sucked on my usual spots on the river but where i have been hitting them lately has been in 20-30ft of water

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill maybe you should try expanding your bait selection. i know how you love the gills. try getting your hands on some whole mooneye or skipjack and see how that works. or another thought is this. its time for the crappie to be on the move again and they might be moving back through your flattie holes. and the flats might be wanting crappie instead of bluegill. just another thought. that or with all the dang fishing you do you have just fished them out lol. quit throwing them in your pond! jk. and like shane said. down here on the ohio they have been caught suspended. i was bored last night and hadnt anchored in a few weeks and tried for some flats. caught two lil ones in an hour. and got tired of that and started drifting. i caught 2 flats in the 15 pound range about 10 to 15 feet off the bottom. so maybe try tossing out the bobber

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been mixing the bait up.... even used crappie lol. My bait list is: bluegill, hoghead suckers, big shiners, crappie, bass, and redhorse... I'd've even used snake the other night if shane would've thrown that one in the live well. actually, one of my favorite holes is a crappie lair right now, so I have a couole dozen crappies saved up to take out with me next week- I'll be fishing a bait or two suspended for sure. I have been suspicious that right now they are having a heyday on a preferred bait at this time of year... what ever that is.... I oughta know what by now- just been lazy before.

16. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    bill i know fishing for flatties here lately be bad maybe we need to try some creek chubs and see what happens with that bait

17. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    wasnt me? What WAS the title bill?

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    eh... I don't remember now, but I never say; "flat head catfish"
    zall good ... just messin' with ya. :smile2:
    I made this big dramatic title once (before you was staff) I called it "storm flatties!!!" or something like that... somebody came around and changed my title to "rainy day flat head catfish" lmfao....

19. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    ah gotcha.. sorry bill.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Not only the flathead fishing but also the blue cats have lock-jaw too.