The fishing on monty is getting better

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tfish442003, Apr 16, 2006.

1. tfish442003

tfish442003 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    We went saturday evening caught 12 no real big ones but the bite was good.Had one real good run but line broke but considering ive fished the lake 6 or 7 times now and just caught my first cats out of there the other night i was very happy looks like a fish fry is on the way.good luck fellows keep a tight line.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Theyre some hogs in there but they can be hard to catch this time of year for some reason spring is the best time to catch big blues in most bodys of water but monty is a little confusing.

3. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    hey i was wondering if anyone knew if it really is okay now to use gas motors on the small lake at monticello ,ive been fishing there alot lately and its like 50-50 with the people fishing there some are using there gas motor some not, id like to use mine it takes forver to troll to the good spots, also i was wondering about casting nets there, theres no metion in the book about not using them there

4. tfish442003

tfish442003 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    asa far as i can tell they are still not allowed but the best thing is to call game and fish as far as cast nets go ive used mine there.and i have seen no signs saying you couldnt.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its in the rules and regulation that you can't have one on Monticello at all.
    I'll look tonight to see what page because I don't remember right off-hand. I asked a local warden about it and he said the way he understood it you can't have a cast net. I've never seen a Game Warden on Monticello in my 12 years of fishing it but that doesn't mean they are not there either.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Prohibited Areas
    No nongame fishing devices of any kind may
    be used in SCDNR-managed lakes (as listed
    on page 18), Monticello Reservoir, Monticello
    Reservoir Sub-Impoundment or waters above
    the Norfolk Southern Railroad track in Greenville,
    Pickens and Oconee counties, except in
    Lakes Hartwell and Keowee and Twelve-Mile
    Creek.

That's straight from the Rule book. Pretty clear really.

7. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    hey anyone fish that Sub-Impoundment for catfish , have any luck?? ive been going there a good bit lately but have been bass fishing, id like to know how you fish for cats there?? drift fish? bottom?? lots of weeds in that lake its tough bottom fishing

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Has anybody ever caught or seen a gar on Monticello.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Never seen or heard of GAR in Monticello. Being that the river doesn't flow directly into the lake makes me doubt them being in there. I've heard of white bass being in the lake but haven't heard of anybody catching any in the last few years. I'm afraid the white perch may have wiped them out in Monty.

10. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    there used to be tons of white bass in there, but when the white perch showed up the white bass dissapeared.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We still catch a white bass or two every now while fishing for perch but 5 years ago we would catch just as many whites as we did perch.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Went yesterday caught 12, 4 teenagers a 27lbr and the rest was small.