The fish that started my obsession

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 9, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am really bored, I mean real bored:big_smile:..Below is a picture of my first trophy flathead, it was caught in 1984 and weighed 40-lbs...In all the years since I think I have only caught 5 fish that were bigger...But this fish started a obsession that burns just as hot today as it did 20 years ago...The quest for trophy flatheads

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know the obsession, and bored ism!!! lol,,,, im ready to pull my hair out! i have a pic. here, some may enjoy, just to see how young i was with a flathead..it has to be scanned first though.. i have some others also, maybe i will see if i can get them scanned. this could pull us all through if we hold hands!!!:smile2: rollo

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am still bored, below is a pic of my personal best 50-=lb flat that came in august of 2002, on frozen shad...The picture is not good quality.

Attached Files:

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I can see why that one would get you going! I have yet to catch one that big but Im still hooked too, so I can only imagine how Im going to be when I finally get the big one!!!!

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice fish, man you guys sound like you are hurtin...!!:eek:oooh:, it will be alright, 100 years from now you will have forgotten all about this long cold winter..:big_smile:

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Jack, I caught the fever when I was about 8 years old and my dad took me fishin at Kinston lake in N.C. and he caught 5, 50+ pounders in less than 5 hours, all flatheads, the fish were big and cool lookin to me and I just couldn't resist trying to catch one that size. I still to this day have not caught one that big but will enjoy it when it finally happens. My PB still is only 18lb flattie.

:big_smile::wink:

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Great Fish Jack!!! I to have the Cabin Fever Thing,Lakes all Frozen over,Ice flows running down the Missouri River.Rods All tuned up,fresh line,the Whole nine Yards,and the High tomorrow only6 degrees with wind out of the north 25 Miles per Hr.Bummer,Bummer,Bummer!!! What's a Man to Do? J.D.:sad2:

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    my biggest is a meesly 25lb but I think we all need a group hug to get thru this winter....I am ready....

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Early in life I got the fishing,hunting,in the woods and on the water fever.I never got the "Trophy Fever".I was raised to leave the biggest and the best to breed.The "Trophy" fish and animals I saw were exhibited out the back of pickup trucks until they stank.It just was not my style or desire and I was taught not to do it.Just hunt,fish and take what you will eat.Had I been raised different,I may have been driving one of the smelly pickups.If it is legal,I don't condemn it.Sort of glad.Never had to try to fulfill the want.I could not handle a big fish now,but I don't miss not trying for one.Big Hogs and Sharks were a pain in the butt to me.I surly did not look for more.Made life easier and no disappointment this way.

I wish you all the best of luck catching whatever your dream is.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Peewee, I fish for trophy fish, but I release everything I catch...I dont quite understand what you are saying.

11. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    What and incredible fish! Way to go :cool2: I too am hooked on catching shovelheads. I get a huge adrenaline rush out of it, and want bigger and bigger. My best to date is 24#, and I am itching for a 40 pounder this year. Catfishin'.....no other fishing will do :)

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice flatheads jack !!!:eek:oooh:

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I got my 30lb shovelhead on the gmr in 2005. It was around 9pm or so in june using 3 inch bluegills as bait. I thought I was snagged on a log but when that line started moving i was in for a fight. it was not out that far around 15 yards wow 10 minutes of fun finally got the beast in. i threw the fish back i had to look at the flathead all 38 of him olive and light brown mixture of color what a rush i am now addict of shovelheads rick.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Big flat huntin hit me when I was about 7 or 8. Dad got a call from a pay phone from Grandad & I got told to "C'MON" !! We met him between Topeka & Pamona along side the road. I get told to get out & get in the boat. I couldn't figger why until I went to doin it. After I layed eyes on that 78# hog that was it. "love at first sight" :sweat:. lol We had a pic of Grandad w/ it hangin on an a-frame swingset. it was about 4 in. from the top & again that much from the ground. Thats the record im chasin, the family record. I got my PB late last summer w/ a 37# so im slowly gettin there.

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Right before i joined the BOC, I was fishing Grand lake in okla. I had drifted for a couple of hours after running my jugs. Zilch, nothing, not even a nibble. I figured to heck with this noise and tied on a beaver craw bass jig and ran over to the closest point to bass fish. I pitched in beside a dock and caught a black bass that was pushing 6 lb. When i eased around the dock, there was a utility pole standing just at the edge of the channel, and i flipped beside it and let it sink. Bump, bump, reel down and set the hook. Dang the bad luck, i missed it. I reeled back in an flipped there again, bump, reel down and set the hook. I actually thought I had snagged the utility pole, then whoa, this ain't no lite pole. I had no clue what it was but knew it was a big fish. I headed into the lake to keep it from tangeling and after about 10 minutes landed a flathead that was close to 20 lb.What a rush.
    This spring i'll be back and fishing with gills and heavier tackle. Who knows I may have stumbled onto a spot here.

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Jack,

Just looking at those photos, those Flats would be a good reason to start an obsession.
    (Yea-I think that would just about do it for me. :wink:)

"Nice Fish"
    :0a23:

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I didn't even get to catch the flat that started my obsession. I was 10 or 11, went to an all night catfish derby. Around 3 am there is a big buzz around the weigh in station. I head over there and see a flathead around 40 to 50 lbs. I never found out exactly how much it weighed, I was a kid lol. But it was laying on the tailgate of a Chevy Luv pickup truck and was hanging off both ends! That was a sight.

18. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice size flattie. thanks for sharing.

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice fish bro I remember the first nice flat i caught. I have been addicted to fishing them ever since. Just can't help it.

20. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i had to figure the flathead game out all by my self, a in-fisherman catfish video and this website was my only help... i attached the pics from the day it all came together for me... my first flat and my second, both within a couple hours.. thats when my flathead addiction started...

Attached Files: