The Final Salute

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SouthGADan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    This is by no means new, and some of you may have already seen it, but I came across it today and just had to share it with the rest of you. It's a series of pictures and captions from the Rocky Mountain news entitled "Final Salute". It follows Maj. Steve Beck, a casualty notification officer. Two of the pictures from the series finished first and second for the Pulitzer Prize.

If you've never seen it before, I highly recommend looking at it. I assure you, it will touch your heart and maybe even bring a tear to your eye.
    http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/06/04/books/20080605_SALUTE_SLIDESHOW_index.html

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks Daniel for the link an the post which caught my attention. Very nice indeed.

3. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    This is a great post, a tear jerker, but great..thanks for sharing.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    reps to ya for a great post. It made me cry but thats ok,thank you.:sad2:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Still makes my eyes wet and I ain't afraid to admit it!! Another fallen brother!!!

6. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    All I can say is thanks for the post. I was a soldier for over 20 years and have traved all over the world. A lot of people do not realize the bond that soldiers have for one another. No matter if you are a Marine, Army, Navy, or Airforce they/we are all brothers. When you live, sweat, cry and laugh with someone who is going through the same rough time you are of missing family, friends you create a very special bond that in my opinion is closer then sibilings at time. So all I can ask is to keep all of our soldiers in our prayers not just during the holidays but all days.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    good post,its to bad things got to be that way , never was for war but sometimes it happens and it is what it is, hope something good can come out of the tragity

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    no words can describe those pics brotha..

9. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    thanks for the post, powerful stuff, not alot of eyes can stay dry when they look at those pics.

10. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Thanks for the post , We can never say or do enough for those going into harms way.We should always honor the memory of the fallen.

11. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I was especially touched by the one where she slept by his coffin and the Marine stood guard. I cannot imagine the burden that Maj. Beck and all of the other casualty notification officers bear.

12. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    Oh i agree, thats the one were i totally lost it, but i cant say that i wouldnt do it myself if i was ever in that situation (Jeff you better keep your head on right and get your butt back here)