The fever - Buck fever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mperry, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just read an article in an outdoor magazine I had. May have been an old copy of field and stream. It had stories about people that had buck fever or whatever you were hunting for at the time. Pretty funny stories. Anyone have any good ones to tell on here?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Never had buck fever. But, when I was 13 I was out deer hunting one morning. Well, the night before we stayed in a cabin and was up playing euchre until about 3 in the morning. So, 5 came early of course. As soon as I got in the woods and leaned against the base of the tree I was out. Woke up about 2 hours later with a buck face to face with me. Not sure who was scared more?? LMAO Was gone by the time I got the gun up. But, was a good time.

3. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    There was a story in there about a guide that took a client out I think hunting rams. Came across a huge ram and the guy ejected his cartridges out on the ground without firing a shot. The guide picked up the shells and shot the ram. The client still believes that he was the one that shot the ram. I LMAO.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I had bad buck fever when I was taking a shot on a Buck in the 150 class this year with my bow. I was wlaking out to my spot and he was bedded down. I misjudged the distance on my shot plus I was a little shakey. I spooked him and he did not come home with me.

5. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    dont Know Why Its Called Buck Fever In The First Place ! I Ve Had A Big Group Of Does Come Within 20yrds Before And Started Shaking So Bad That I Almost Didnt Hear The 2 Bucks Come From The Bushes Right Under My Treestand. It Was On November 18, 3rd Day Of Firearm Here In Michigan, And The Rut Must Have Been In The Chase Phase Cause The Deer Were Breathing As Hard As Me. I Had To Close My Eyes And Think About The Reaction Of My Kids If I Bagged A Buck My First Day Of Firearm. When I Opened My Eyes The Deer Wher Running Away From Me. After Sitting For Another 3 Hours I Decided To Head In For Lunch. Once I Got Out Of My Treestand And Was About 40yrds Away I Heard A Big Crash. I Turned To See A Doe Beeing Followed By A Small 4 Point. The 4 Point Took Off Real Quick Out Of Fear From The Big 7 Point Trotting Tward The Doe. I Had To Snaek Up Within Clear Sight Of Them And Try A Shot From The Ground. Within 5 Minutes The Doe Walked Away But The Buck Turned And Walked Dead At Me . I Started Shaking Again To The Point Of Not Holding My Martin Steady. Before I Knew It He Was About 7yrds From Me And Stopped Dead In His Tracks Realizing I Was There . I Knew I Should Of Brought My Gun Instead Of My Bow. I Hit That Buck High In The Shoulder And Never Recovered Him, But Im Hooked On Hunting From The Ground Now Because Of The Intense Face To Face Encounter With That Animal. All Those Deer , More Than Enough Shot Possibilities And No Deer. All In All, I Wouldnt Trade That Day Of Hunting For Anything!!!lol

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The last good case of buck fever I had was after 4 hours of sitting in a tree and having too much coffee before I went out. My back teeth were floating and I was just about to get down and go relieve myself when 4 deer came running down the hill and stopped right in front of me at 5 yards. One buck had his back to me and was an easy shot that I've made several times. I aimed at the center of his back and let the arrow fly. Somehow I shot 2 feet high and hit him right in the back of the head, just under the antlers. It sounded like a baseball bat hitting a rock. The deer went down right there where he was standing and never moved a muscle.

7. cooterbrown

cooterbrown New Member

State:
    illinois
    my worste case of buck fever so far happend last bow season i was leaving late one morning to go home and as i was driving off i glanced at the feild next to the woods and there was 1 doe and 3 bucks one that looked like a 4pt the other a nice 8pt and the other a very nice atleast 10 pt so i turned around and parked made a stalk on them to about 60 yrds and to my left ihad the smaller buck coming to me so i wasntsure what to do so i backed into the woods alittle and let himwalk by and started stalking again along the inside of the woods and got within 40 yards and the rest wasmy fault cause it was a perfect broadsideshot and i shot rightover his back but that was anawesome experince being able to stalk up that close ive never stalked adeer before and it was pure adrinaline

another was the same year during the shotgun season i was hunting in a small woodlot at the base of a tree and i used the "can" call and it wasnt5 minutes till kept hearing somthing moving behinde me but i never could see anything i looked again and it wasnt20 yards away was the biggest deer ive ever hadcomeupon me a nice 120 class 10pt (my first buck also) and he kept coming closer and stoped broadside and im setting there wondering how im gonna get the shot on him like that so eventually i said im either gonna have to let him go or try the shotleft handed so i did the left handed shot and busted him right in the neck anddropedhim inhis tracks needless to say i had to sit and glare at his rack foratleast 20 minutes before i calmed down enough to go get my truck

so i would say i had a prettyamazing season last year