The Fear skunked me today

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CapeFear910, Apr 9, 2007.

1. CapeFear910

CapeFear910 New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    Been awhile since i went catfishin so i decided to throw off the bank at riverside today. I didn't get any bites on chicken liver or worms. But it has given me the catfish fever again and i'm about to go to dicks and get a ugly stik with some giftcards from christmas. I plan on ordering an Okuma Avenger rell with the baitfeeder switch. Anybody have experience with those reels? I'm gonna go with like a 7 foot or maybe 7'6" pole MH or H action.

2. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I've got a couple Shimano baitrunner reels on 7'6" BigCat rods. I love them!!! Use circle hooks, let the cat drag line for a couple seconds, hit the button and hang on (not necessarily in that order!!). If you're fishing for flatties, though, I found that if you're using circle hooks you may need to use a slow 45 degree sweep to get a good hookset. I have caught a 52 pound blue cat on a wing dam on the James River with the baitrunner. He started a slow drag until I hit the button to start the fighting drag. THEN HE GOT MAD!!! He took drag faster during the fight than he had with the baitrunner set. It was really fun trying to fight him and net him by myself.

3. CapeFear910

CapeFear910 New Member

State:
    I found some "Mudville" rods at dicks for $20. Got a 8 footer instead of a 7 footer, I figure it'll help me cast out further from the bank. Gotta order that reel....

4. CapeFear910

CapeFear910 New Member

State:
    Just ordered the reel. Got the 65 sized one, the biggest they had.

5. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i want to fish cape fear contact me you can fish with me and freinds all you got to do is just come. i have it all. than you know what you need and what to use and how to rig. ok.

6. carolina hit man

carolina hit man New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    any 1 fishing the james river this weekend

7. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Hey Joe when r u going out the next time?

8. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    The Fear is alive again. I went out yesterday and caught a small blue, a stripper about 3 lbs, and a huge bluegill. I had a constant bite all day long. Put in at riverside and went upriver. It was great. Hopefully you all have a chance to get out and enjoy it.

9. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    will probably be next friday because i have to be gone this weekend. call me we can try here at house

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Does anyone kno if the shad is here yet or not?

11. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    I am going saturday night to etown and try fishing. will let you know how i do.

12. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    tear them up man, hopefully I can get out this weekend and get some fish in the boat.

13. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    anyone know the water temp???? Getting ready for the flatties!!!!​

14. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Thought I was gonna be goin but am redoing the deck on the boat to give me a little more room.Hope ya'll tear em up :big_smile: