The Fall feed is aproaching, time to go over your tackle.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Aug 12, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well it wont be long, at least in Ohio before the Flatheads start there fall feeding pattern..I take the time now before it starts to go over my tackle..First on the list is putting new fresh Berkly biggame line on the reels I will be using..I have many reels that I use, But I only respool about 6 for the upcoming action.The rest will be stripped of line untill next spring...I feel keeping good quality line on your reels is the most important part of your flathead gear..The 2nd thing I will do is go over my rod quides and check for any grooves, especially on the tip quide, if the tip has a groove in it I wont use it untill replaced...3rd I will make sure I have all the hooks, sinkers, and swivels I need..4th is I will put a small ammount of oil on the level wind pawl....5th I will check the drag on my reels to make sure they are working properly, I always carry an extra reel in case one of them fails...Here in Ohio I consider september and october the two best monthes for big flatheads, I have caught them into november...Be prepared for the big fish this year, dont have your tackle let you down.

2. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i totally agree you always want ur tackle to be in good working condition wen flathead fishing.fall is my favorite time to catch big flatheads and sept-nov is the best time to do it cause they are fattening up for winter.

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I always hear fall is suppose to be good and I do pick up a decient fish every fall but the action seems to be slower than spring time, for me at least.

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    around here it seems to pick up cause they go on like a non stop feeding spree to pack on weight for the winter.

5. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    excellent advice sure stinks to have a nice one get away due to a preventable equipment problem, as for the fall feed this is definately the big time comming up here in the ohio valley

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I think I have mine ready...love it when they go into that pre-winter pattern and hungry...makes for some exciting fishing for sure:big_smile:

Jack are you gonna join us in the BOC On-Line Catfishing Tournament? It was a blast in the last one...sounds like its your time of the year.:wink:

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah i have always had my best luck in the fall also...... got a few spots ive been waiting on to heat up with the big fish...

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well if there was anywhere flatheads need to pack on weight for winter is up here in Minnesota. We have, if we are extremely lucky is about 5-5.5 months of flathead fishing and 6-7 months of dreaming and playing with gear(winter).:angry: The season is getting close to being over.:angry:

9. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I JUST HOPE THERE IS GOING TO BE ENOUGH WATER LEFT AROUND SOUTHWEST OKLAHOMA TO DO ANY FISHING.
    THE OTHER DAY A FRIEND AND I WENT TO LAKE LUGERT (THE LOCAL LAKE) AND CAUGHT FISH USING A BUCKET OF WATER. THE SAD THING THE FISH HAD A TICK ON IT.:big_smile:
    THESE DANGED OLD FARMERS ARE PULLING ALL OF THE WATER OUT OF THE LAKE TO IRRIGATE THEIR COTTON. PLUS IT HAS MAYBE RAINED 6-10 INCHES THIS SUMMER.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    North Texas here. I dont know if anyone is pulling water out of our lakes, but we are in the same boat, or rather unable to use a boat :lol: becuase fo our water. Last check our local lakes is 9 foot down.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Jack, good idea....just changed out the lines on my poles the other day. I found numerous bad spots on my old line that could of resulted in short comings.

12. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree with ya Jack,I love the fall also big flatties and hunting whitetails.