The "Eyes" of the Beholder....a short story

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

FIRST: I did not write this, and do not know the name of the author; but I like what this story has to say, and wanted to share it with all of you. Hope you like it too.

Mandy had a bad habit of judging people on their looks. At work, in the market and on the street, she was always commenting to herself on people's flaws. This person had "too large of a nose", that person's "shoes didn't match her belt", or "she needs to trim those eyebrows".

Doing this made her feel better because no one was harder on her own looks than Mandy. She took extreme care to make sure each outfit was perfect and each hair in place. Always. As far as she was concerned, why should the rest of the world get off so easy?

Today was no different. During lunch with Christine, she could hardly focus on their conversation. Instead, she obsessed over the positively gruesome haircut her friend had gotten an hour before. "I've got to remind myself to never go to HER hairstylist", she thought as she sipped her coffee.

As they walked out of the restaurant, Mandy stared at the back of her friend's dress. "She really needs to iron those wrinkles out", she thought. Just then, Mandy tripped on the carpet and fell, breaking the heel of her shoe. Dazed and embarrassed, she jumped up and looked around at the now silent restaurant.

Not one to laugh such things off, she quickly grabbed what was left of her shoe and ran into the bathroom to collect herself. After a few moments, she fixed her hair and hobbled out of the restaurant just in time to see Christine driving off and waving goodbye.

As she limped down Main Street, she contemplated this disaster and why her friend had not bothered to help. "Didn't she see me fall? Why didn't she want to see if I was okay?" A lot of thoughts ran through her head. None very positive.

Suddenly she felt a sharp pain in her ankle. The fall was worse than she'd thought. Unable to bear the agony any longer, she stopped at a bench in a nearby park to rest. At the other end of the bench sat a shabbily dressed older gentleman with a full head of gray hair and sunglasses. A napping dog lay next to him.

"Sweet Magnolia", the man said, turning to Mandy.

"Pardon me?"

"Your perfume. It's called Sweet Magnolia".

"Why, yes, that's right", Mandy replied, barely paying attention.

"I'm Robert. And this is Allie. Say hello, girl."

The dog rose on its front paws and peered over at Mandy from behind her master's legs. Mandy glanced over and exclaimed "Oh dear!" Before her was the ugliest, most repulsive animal she had ever seen. Its slobbering tongue hung permanently out the side of its closed mouth. It had missing teeth, moles all over its face and long hairs sprouting in all directions. To top it all off, one eye seemed to be larger than the other.

"Isn't she a beauty?" Robert said proudly. Mandy sat in stunned silence.

"We've been together 12 years. This ol' girl's the best friend I ever had. C'mon darlin', time to go."

The blind man rose and picked up his walking stick. His loyal seeing-eye companion stood up in unison, wagging her tail enthusiastically.

Watching them walk away, Mandy realized that as ugly and imperfect as they were, both shared something much more important: an unconditional love that had nothing to do with appearances. At that moment, it washed over her like a giant wave: this was real beauty; this is what mattered.

From that day on, Mandy vowed to judge people for who they were on the inside. To her, the world around her had become more beautiful than she'd ever imagined.

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Imagine what the world would be like if everyone would judge people for who they were on the inside.This is what we need in our next president.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice story Tanya! Great moral to the story! Too many people care about Americas Top Model or Paris Hilton, etc instead of whats inside! :big_smile:

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tanya, I have a hard time with these kinds of stories. Could you bring that by me again. I am senile and old, and have difficulty with commonsense stuff.

I will have to say that that was good, Don't know why though. LOL. Maybe I need a course in "Love thy neighbor"

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Perhaps, just maybe perhaps it has something to do with visual perception.

Ah, yes the eyes. That's it!

"What good the match that pushes back the darkness, unless "The Eyes" can see the path illuminated"

Ol' Doc. (where's my cane, I need a match.)

6. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro

Ahhh but Beetle.. The eyes DON'T have it.. the heart does.

Let me ask you... Tanya, Beetle, Cheryl....anyone..

Name four things that you find beautiful that you've never laid your eyes upon. Can you?

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds like Deerhunteroughtone and his rules here. Here is the way I will give you my answers Laura.

I will give you four answers based only on the description of what I have read or imagined. I think Mt Kilimanjaro is beautiful, but I have seen it in pictures, so I can't give ya that. I could give you the names of 4 girls I think I have found beautiful, but I have never seen them in their swimsuits, so I couldn't be totally sure. This will be tough. Sounds like a six pack reverie. Let me filter it through my brain for awhile.

John.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The sounds, the smells, the wind and the touch to name a few.
    Are eyes may be open but what do we see....
    Beetle that means poping a top, hops filling our nose, what comes out the next day and it's cold enough to drink....:wink:

9. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    beauty is not in the eye of the beholder but in what beauy the heart beholds, i dont always do it but give a person time to share there heart with you .you may never know what you will learn from them.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Okay sisterfriend, I'll give it a go. (Thanks for makin' me cry again :tounge_out:.) Guess mine are all pretty simple.

the SMELL of fresh coffee brewing - especially when you need the caffeine :eek:oooh:

the FEELING certain music gives - the music itself, not the lyrics

the UNIQUENESS of each snowflake - fascinating to me.....
    Here's one from 1976: Snowflakes falling softly down, Through the fog and mist to ground; Each one has its own design, as intricate as a person's mind.

the SCENT of my Gran's white cotton sheets that still lingers upstairs

meeting a new friend and immediately having a CONNECTION

me taking a NAP :wink:

11. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    OOOh Tanya. You go girl!

I'd rep ya, but it won't let me yet.

Within the tears, lies beauty too.

When I first posted that, the first thing I thought of was my Grandma. That was/is a love that there are no words to describe other than maybe UNCONDITIONAL. She finally left me when she was 98. I don't think I could have bore it a minute sooner.

The beauty it made me think of is in the healing afterward. Strange, you might say. The pain is unbelievable, but in the healing comes smiles. Memory is beautiful. I know she made me madder than heck many more times than I could count. The anger, even, brings good memories. I can laugh at how ticked off I was at driving over to her house to change a freakin' lightbulb, because she wouldn't shut up about it. She was a persistant ole cuss. <BIG SMILE> I find my time with her now, beautiful. Obviously, you share that beauty, too. <more tears and a hug here>

Alright.. I'll shut up.. Got some more, but I wanna see what else shows up here.

12. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only thing I can think of off hand is an unborn baby of any species.
    You know just the thought of the unconditional love that you get from a baby growing inside.

Everytime I see a pregnant woman, dog, cat,etc. that's what I think of, how beautiful it is.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ms Laura:

By the "heart" you refer to I suppose you to mean not the physical structure composed of blood vessels, strong muscles, nerves and valves that will kill us if we eat too much lard. I think you to mean the metaphysical "heart". Our soul perhaps, our id, our "emotion" perhaps. I have many emotions I can paint a picture of to create a beautiful sight in my mind. The smell of my mothers baked bread out of the oven. My fathers huge hands as he showed me how to tie my shoes. These are beautiful pictures in my mind, but ones I have seen.

I will tell you of four things, amongst many, that come to mind that I have never laid eyes upon, nor never will I but they are beautiful to me nonetheless. "The Eyes" have driven them into my brain. They are not a dream or an emotion or a smell they are a description of what once was, where I came from, what is now and what might be.

One. (What once was)
    I am a fairly literate man. That driven into me by my mother. I talk strange and act strange but I am literate. No big deal about that. That is my problem. Of the many things I have read, a great deal of it has been about this continent, specifically what is now America. The beautiful sights I see in my mind and none of us will ever see are the pictures of this glorious land endowed upon us. The majesty must have been awesome.

Two. (Where I came from)
    You have spoken of Grandmothers and Grandfathers. I shall too. Not about the emotions of them. No, I will talk about the descriptions of their "Mother" country. They loved America. But the home they left was dear to them also. They would paint pictures of Czechoslovakia and it's countryside in their native tongue. I have never seen that country of my genetics, nor will I ever. Yet it is there in my mind and it is beautiful thanks to them.

Three. (What is now)
    This is personal, and should be private. I have come to find out there is nothing "private" here so I will tell you anyhow. I have a son who is a paranoid schizophrenic. Bab, bad, a real loony tunes. A handsome strapping man who I had to sign the court orders for to incarcerate 6 years ago. He had his brains turned to jello by a drug overdose someone slipped him. He painted pictures for me too. Dark, sinister unbelievable pictures. I like Edgar Allen Poe. He could paint beautiful pictures that you could "see" and never had the chance of actually seeing. My son did the same for me. He painted beautiful "pictures" of what he saw and I never hope to see. They may not be beautiful to you, but they helped me understand a son I will never see again.

Four. (What might be)
    I am or once was a science fiction nut. A library of science fiction I have digested. The authors I have read painted the future for me. Their worlds and descriptions of their worlds and characters let me see beautiful things. I have those pictures in my mind and don't even have to get in a spaceship to see them.

There ya go folks. Four of many, no smells, sights, touches. My eyes have seen and the paint ain't dried yet.

Postbeetle.

14. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Speechless....

Wow, Beetle. You never cease to amaze me. I wondered if you would even give this the time of day. It takes some real personal work to find these things, sometimes.
    I thank you for sharing your beauties with us. I could feel them as you explained. Someone that can find beauty like you have, is indeed gifted.

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ms Laura: Loan me a pen, Dear. I have to write this on the calendar. The first time I can recall I made a woman speechless. Would that you were Hillary Clinton. I would like to shut her up.

Never ask me a question, 'cause I will give you an answer even if I have to lie. My answer to you however is the truth. You gals on here make my day most often. You thought I may go by this thread. Not. I look for these kinds of threads. The things the fellas talk about are near and dear to me. I have been to a lot of those things they talk about, like a poker game there are only so many cards you get dealt. I have played my hand at fishing, hunting, trapping, sports, jokes. There is only so many words to describe a physical process and they do a good job. If I interject something there it is only to get another post and I don't post just to get a post. That stuff is a crock.

Like trying to get another Boy Scout badge. If I wanted Boy Scout badges I would tell you how to tie your shoes 43 different ways. I could ring up total posts like a monkey eating bananas. I ain't no monkey and I don't like bananas. I joined this site after watching it for awhile because I was fascinated by the deliberate and subtle methods of madness those in control use here. Some of it bordering on genius. Better end this paragraph. I might become "speechless" by the simple process of someone hitting a delete key.

One thing I do know, Laura. You might make a woman speechless but it won't be for long. You guys keep it up. I will join you anytime, just don't get too much like Oprah.

John.

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi folks! Amid these troubled times, it seems this story might be a good one. Please do NOT send me mojo for this, I just want folks to read it.

17. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro

Can a blind person see love or beauty, nope, but they can feel it.
    Can a deaf person hear the kindness in your word, nope, but they can feel it.
    The kindness of a good deed and the only thing requested in return is that you pass it on.
    Forgiveness, you sure can't see or feel it, but when offered, it makes you feel better about the situation.
    Fog, you can see fog, feel it's moisture, but you can not hear it's silence.
    Our parents, one or both, they may never tell you that they love you, but they do with their sacrifices.

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There was an ole saying when I was growing up.Folks would say "Truer words were never spoken". I feel that ole saying fits your marvelous story.Thank you so much for your post. I really appreciate it.:smile2: