the eye of the hook

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfish Wizard, May 27, 2009.

1. catfish Wizard

catfish Wizard New Member

State:
    Independence missouri
    Fished loz tuesday bite was on again.Lots of 3\5 lb 2 10 lb But made bad mistake Had a hook that was not all the way closed on the end and fished it No problems most of the day Then rod went down took 50ft drag fought fish 45 min was problem 4 ft long not close enough to net and hook came off line I was sick My own fault Would have return fish any way but would like to have net fish. So dont use hooks that are not closed on the eye. Hope this dont happen to you. Good luck fishing:confused2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That is a "BUMMER" Snellin the hooks will do the trick. :wink:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sorry to hear about that, Dan - lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

I had one break me off the other day and know it was my fault for not checking the line for abrasion after every catch. I've started being much more careful about it now, and have found that the abrasion sometimes can be found 5 or 10 feet up from the hook. Any nick in the mono and you've got a weak spot just waiting to make you a catch & release fisherman before you're ready...:crazy:

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have had that same problem with hooks ive bought from walmart. one time a whole box of 25 of them had open eyes. so i learned to ALWAYS check the eye before rigging up.

5. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Use braid and you won't get broke off that easy like you will mono.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Problem is braid line comes out of the eye of a hook faster then Mono. That was the guys issue. Eye was open some. So line sliped out of the eye. I've had that happen before also. Now There snelled or double looped and eye is closed.
    WE lost a good fish today. Buddy of mine was fighting the fish.:sad2: And the leader broke. That was my fault. :angry: I should have re Tied it before we started fishing again today. As this was 3 days fishing with the same leader on that rod.
    pete

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Quicker catch and release than you wanted??:smile2:

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man, thats the first time I've ever actually heard of someone that had the line slip through the eye gap. Steve Brown hooked me up with some of those Frenzy hooks last year which are incredible but he mentioned that the only dislike he had for them was that small gap in the eye but he had never had a problem with it. At least you got to enjoy the battle for a little while, guess it just wasn't meant to be that day. Chris

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes it was the fast catch and release. LOL

ccso640 I have lost 8 or 10 fish back a few years ago. But started snelling them and took care of that issue. Does not take much of a gap to allow small dia line to get through it.
    I will say Matzuo, Gama and a few other hooks does not have that issue. But be sure to look over every hook before using one.
    pete