"The Elliemae" Pontoon Project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by catsmith1, Jun 3, 2007.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    This boat and this thread is in memory of my wife Elaine.

I picked up a pontoon boat the other day. I will be building it like I want it. I am starting with a 20x8 ft deck. I have a 50 hp 4st merc and a new trailer. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the top side. It will be a work in progress.

Here are some pics of the beauty as I am starting with it.

Attached Files:

2. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    the beauty in what youre doing (and myself) is that you can create the boat YOU want. Keep us posted on the progress, I love fixin' up old boats and enjoy seeing the ideas others have while doing it.

:001:

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good luck, Robert. I'm sure she'll turn out beautifully, & you & your girls can make lots of happy memories. Keep us updated with new photos from time to time.

4. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    I can already see a nice looking rig there. Look forward to the progression pics....

Mike

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Come on, bite the bullet and take that sucker ALL the way apart:big_smile:
    I'll get mine back together eventually but I'm not rushing it. I'm enjoying the process.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One of the things I saw on a toon that really made sense to me was a chain link fence around the outside edge, rather than the regular sides you normally see on one. The fence keeps you, the kids, dogs, and sliding gear from going overboard just as well as a solid side, but if you happen to bury the front end during heavy waves, the fence allows the water to run off much faster.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Looks like you got a something good to work with. Have fun with it.:smile2:

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana

One of these days I might do that but right now I am trying to get it done so me and the girls can use it for fun.:cool2::cool2:

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Ok, here is what I have done to date.

I bit the bullet and ordered a console in white. I found some seconds on pontoon furniture I got one seat half price so far and there will be more soon. I bought two fishing seats in white from academy. Radio from Ba$$Pro. Grill from Walmart. Guy down the street gave me a nice stainless steering wheel.

I should pick up the furniture today and be able to get up there and arrainge it where I want it so I can make sure the controls will reach in the console. Have to do all that before I can put the carpet down. Once the carpet goes down I am going to be able to put the rest of the furniture down and the railing also. Then I can actually get it on the water and see how the motor runs. I will hook it up to the ears to make sure it will start before I go.

I started trying to see about the cables and steering unit last night but it was getting dark. Fixin to get out there again!!!!!:big_smile:

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Raise those rails about 1 inch high to stop mold around the rails and Jtrew is right on about the sides. I am now looking for the time to go and pick up some hardware cloth so as to replace my solid metal sides so it won't be such a wind sock and water tub after taking on a high wave.

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Gosh, Robert, you actually make all that work sound like fun! (Well, almost!:wink:)

12. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Something else that would make a lot of sense for this idea is that it would not act as a sail as bad in the wind maybe a great idea. The next boat project I am going to attempt will be a toon project myself. Probably at least a year away but coming!

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Ok, I'll admit it. I guess with the stress of everything that has been going on I have turned into a bugger eatin moron. I will only have 16ft of deck on the toon. I could make it longer but it would not be worth the effort or expence.

Ersel and I worked on the toon project this morning. I needed to add some strength to the rear end where the transom hooks to the deck of the boat. I looked and talked to alot of people in the local area and decided to take 2 1/2 square 11ga steel tubing and made two new runners for the rear end. The back three runners were sagging almost an inch in the middle. That 4st is alot heavier than the motor that was originally on it.

I marked the attachment points and drilled 3/8 holes in both sides of the tubing. Then I took a unibit and drilled the top side large enough to put the socket in to tighten the nuts.

I cleaned the tubing with mineral spirits and put three coats of gloss grey enamel and let dry over night.

This morning Ersel came over and we put the two new pieces on the rear end and took one of the old ones off to extend the front another 10 inches.

We ended up lifting the motor about 3/4 of an inch by the time we got done. I know the rear end is 10 times stronger than it was before. I know I added some weight but I now have piece of mind that the motor won't fall off because the runners breaking.

I know some will say that the world might end because of two different metals touching but Three different metal workers assured me that it would take years for the corossion to be a problem. Besides that I could not afford the aluminum to hold the same weight. It would have been 4times as much.

I tried to load some pics but they would not upload. I will try tomorrow.

14. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
  15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I took the steering and motor controls apart the other day and I think the steering is going to work but the throttle and shift box is missing some parts. The cables all seem good but the box is lacking.

I found a box at a local boat place that they had taken off a new? boat and I will probably pick it up this week. They said it would only have the handle showing outside the console.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to figure out a location for the console and put down the rest of the deck.

I bought new screws for the deck. The guy before me used screws that were bordering on too short and about 25% of them were not holding. These are a good inch longer than the ones that are on there. They should do the trick.

I am thinking about putting liquid nails down also. Can't hurt!

I have the console and one seat so far.

Attached Files:

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    rear end pics (don't get excited!)

Attached Files:

17. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Robert, thats a nice looking seat.

18. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Man that's gonna be too nice to catfish out of when you are done. Looks like you are lucking out on the pieces and parts. Keep up the good work!

19. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Looks like a great project. I finished my toon last fall. Let me know if you need any help...

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Wow, Robert!

Nice memorial and great for you and the children. I can't wait to read this entire thread, when I get home.

Take care.
    Cheryl