The Elkhorn

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by ChannelCatBen, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey there, Huskers.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recent reports from the Elkhorn river. My family has some land there, and I'm going to spend this weekend there with my wife and a couple aunts and uncles. I know the river's been high (we've been losing about ten feet of high bank a week, according to my uncle), so I'm not expecting any huge days. I was just wondering what's been working in the Dodge county area lately.

If we're not getting any action there, I was thinking about scooting down to the Fremont Lakes to give 'er a try. Any advice for there? Thanks in advance.

2. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I've throw everything you can thing of into the Elkhorn and nothing has worked better than half a crawler or liver. Those are my go to baits for it. The elkhorn has a little bit of everything, and sometimes a biggie. a buddy of mine even caught a saugeye the other day.

3. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    We just got back. We did okay. Friday night, we got skunked (except a couple on bank lines way late). Saturday night, four of us set up along a sandbar and each used different baits. When we started catching them, it was all on chicken guts. We got seven, between 2 and four pounds, and one chunky 5 pounder that was just FULL of eggs. The bite lasted about 45 minutes, and then it was just done.

It was a good night. The weather was beautiful, the company was good, the bugs weren't bad, and we brought plenty of beer. It was great.

4. kyhawk

kyhawk New Member

State:
    Kearney, Nebras
    the elkhorn n dodge county now thats my cup of tea i fish it at least twice a wk...chubs, cut chubs, blueguill, liver, frogs, thats the baits...i fish at the mouth of creeks or logjams, or the bends were the water slows down n its been workn