"The Elegant Universe" By Brian Greene

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Dec 28, 2005.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    is anyone reading or has anyone else read this book?

Im wrapping my mind around it and I just thought that someone else may have done this before and might want to discuss the book.

This thing is nearly unfathomable.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i never heard of it, but after a search, it sounds interesting. 11 dimensions....hmmm

the super sring theory demands more dimensions than we have accepted to date. when i fisrt researched super string, my mind went to Christ mysteriously appearing in a locked room. why could he not have simply stepped from one dimension to another? he made several mysterious escapes in like manner.

thanks sal...i may have to read that one.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have never heard of it. I will ask my wife she is the reader in the family. :D :D

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ah the super string theory! i'll have to do a search for it. i have a book i bought last year on the branch of judaism called "kaballah". its more scientific than religious. it seems kaballah has an identical teaching of the ss theory, and they came up with it almost 2000 years ago(or even further)along with a big bang theory. i just re-read that book a couple weeks ago and it sparked my intirest again.

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Sal, I'd be happy to pick it up. Gotta gift card to the bookstore, and wondering what I want to get. Give me a few days, and I'll discuss it with you.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just done a search on yahoo and if you go to the pbs site they have the t.v. version you can watch. now that ive seen that i remember seeing it before, and will watch again t-nite. still might get the book too im sure it will go more in depth.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sal, If you are wrappin your mind around it it must be a short story. LOL! Sorry the door was open.

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Youre right, George! I only got the book cause it came with 12 crayons instead of 6. :rolleyes:

ROTFL.

Actually, Im not even half way through the book- I am just now getting through the basics of Quantum mechanics... and this stuff is driving me insane with the potential here. I know Im going to have to read this at least twice to get the concept.

As for the TV series, I saw that twice in full and once in part and I asked for the book as a gift to supplement the tv version, hoping it would get clearer. It is coming, albeit slowly. It is my new years resolution to get a grasp of quantum physics and string theory by this time next year. An uphill battle I am willing to wage to expand my mind. It is a big big challenge... believe me.

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    as of right now I am 222 pages into it. The first 100 were the back story of physics and quantum physics.... plus a lil delving into the unknown as quantum physics and particle study tends to do.

By page 200 I have had to read a page twice just to stay neck and neck with the pace of the book and what it expects your mind to saturate itself with. As of the moment, I will read a paragraph and set it down for a few minutes to digest, to philosophize, to beg myself to give up the book altogether, to talk myself out of giving up, and to continue.

This Brian Greene guy is surely a brain I wouldnt tangle with in a dark alley on the chess-player's side of town. lol

Anyone else getting into this stuff?

So far I have determined that I will not ever ever ever be a harvard-calibre physicist. The good news is that I never wanted to be. The bad news is that I did promise myself I'd understand this stuff by this time next year.

So far, I gotta wonder this though: If there is a key in superstring theory to understanding nature and the universe in a way that allows man to get his white knuckles around the forces that control nature and subsequently the human condition; Understanding that can bring man closer to identifying that which can cause the worst conditions known to man and even the universe, then why is it that our government will not propose to spend a single penny on the study, when places like Switzerland and Austria are on the verge of breaking down the very barriers that American Scientists were first to identify?

What a shame...... there is no direct profit in dollars, only the possibility for the cure of things from human and animal disease all the way up to how to stopping an asteroid from hitting the earth using the technology that can unfurl once we grasp this science fully- and so the Government sits tight on their wallet. Same old stuff I guess.

Back to the grind!!!!

11. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I think string theory makes the most sense to me at least. Especially black holes and that dejavu crap. If aliens really abducted anyone they may have already figured this out.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i read it at the bookstore for about a half hour and decided not to get it. it gets a little too deep for me and i know i would end up not finishing it. i watched the 4 hour p.b.s. show on it again and i understand about 50% of it. im gonna keep trying though, you can watch it online. even though i enjoy reading that type of material my mind tends to wander when i read really deep stuff like that. besides....us "catfishermen" arent supposed to delve into that deep a level of understanding!

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Wow!

I never thought of tying the paranormal or otherworldly life forms into my thinking on this (probably cause I never really dedicate much thought to the paranormal or aliens).

I suppose that if you can not only grasp the force of Gravity as a concept but use the aspects as predicted in Superstring theory to create an -electromagneto-gravitational propulsion system to navigate the known dimensions using the currently unknown dimensions as your method of slipping nearer to light speed, then yeah sure.... alien travel would thus be possible.

Maybe also, perhaps one of the 480 proposed Calabi-Yau dimensional holes is the key to telepathic communication.... Then again.... maybe its just gas.

ROTFL..... ok.... stupid physics joke. forget I said that. :)

sal

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I wont be getting the book! I hardly make it through the thread! You lost me at "I suppose that if you can not only grasp the force of Gravity as a concept but use the aspects as predicted in Superstring theory to create an -electromagneto-gravitational propulsion system to navigate the known dimensions using the currently unknown dimensions as your method of slipping nearer to light speed, then yeah sure.... alien travel would thus be possible."