THE ECONOMY

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catoon, Mar 31, 2009.

IS THE ECONOMY AS BAD AS WE ARE LEAD TO BE BY THE MEDIA

1. YES

2. NO

3. I DONT KNOW

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    is the economy as bad as we are lead to beleive by the media?

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I voted yes. I believe it is mainly because of the job losses. With fewer jobs, there is less money being made by the people that spend it on a regular basis. If those people are not spending it, there are fewer taxes paid and fewer taxes paid. What scares me is the property taxes not being paid. This is a county's and city's life blood. With less money going to the cities and counties this means a smaller budget. Not that many couldn't cut back some, but I just don't want essential services being cut.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
  4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    After hearing of the layoffs and short work weeks for me I say h--- yeah if it ain't it got to end the play acting

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    After looking at my Portfolio, I voted yes! :wink:

6. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Iwould haft to say yes:confused2:

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    after lookin in my check book, i voted yes :big_smile::cool2:

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Would have to say yes. I work for UPS, and the daily volumes have been lower for the last year now. Good indication people are spending less. The gas prices last year didn't help any either. Lot of people are hurting or just getting by right now. The housing market is another good indicator of how the economy is doing and there is no secret there either.

Hopefully things will pick up or start to in the next year or so. But, sometimes I think the media isn't helping things with some of the story's that are published though.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I voted YES and what is the reason that it is in bad shape. The Govt. has to many give me programs and big brother spends to much money. It just like gas went up and every thing followed and now that gas has gown down why has not the other prices come down. Well it's just like a tax when it is in-placed it will always remain just like everything else they got the prices up and they will leave them there until we quite buying WHATS YOUR THOUGHT'S

10. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes vote here. I run my own business. My volume is down well over 50% and there is no sign of things improving. :sad2:

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    well i say no it was 6 or 7 years ago when prices started going up across the board .like scrap iron construction home sells ect i knew that when things went to the sky that it could not last. so now that the bottom fell out we are back to our regular economy . although alot of people may have made decisions based on the false economy and now cant genarate enough cash to cover every thing . we are right back to our economy 6 to 7 years ago. the biggest people hurt are the older people who was getting ready to retire there money was lost because of the ghost fund we had .maybe our leaders need to help them which i havent heard alot about from either side . as for us we will get back to a level we can afford it will be hard but we will make it . these are my thoughts on this matter and in no way repasent the boc - catfish1.com in any mannor .thks yours trully catoon

12. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I live in SC. Things are definitely bad here - our unemployment rates have reached the second highest in the nation. I hear of people being laid off every day.

That said, I voted no. I know that sounds crazy, but my point is that even though things are bad, they are not as bad as the media portrays the situation. You have to remember that doom and gloom increases ratings. The scarier they can make their broadcast, the more people tune in. So they have a built in agenda.

And I think that what they are doing is very irresponsible. I under stand the why behind their actions, but spreading fear is just increasing the problem. Many polls have shown that even people who have money are scared to spend any. So a vicious circle is born - where the only people benefiting any are the talking heads on tv.

I also can't help but worry that the government is busy trying to make the situation worse. The last time that the government got so busy spending money trying to stimulate the economy was when Roosevelt (not the sportsman, the other one) created so many programs in the Great Depression. And we all know how well that worked out, don't we? It took a world war to bring us out of that one.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I had to vote NO...
    as I believe it's Much Worse than even the spastic, knee jerk media knows anything about....There's just too many things all going wrong at once,,, kinda like ,,, it's been planned?

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Greg,I feel the same way. Funny how we werent scared till Feb 4th this year,then all He!! broke loose. Like you say ,Almost like it was planned. I LOVE MY COUNTRY,but I FEAR MY GOVERNMENT!!!!:crazy:

15. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    It's the worst I remember in my 65 years. My dad went through the depression and the jobless situation after World War 11. I still remember him telling me that you can't spend your way out of debt. Gas may be down right now, but it will go back up. A lot of things went up with the price of oil and have not come back down. Have you checked the price of a quart of motor oil? Greed and crooked politicians are going to be the downfall of our nation as they sell us off to the highest bidder. Catfishjon

16. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I voted yes.

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I said no, I think I've seen worse but I'm still able to pay bills. I've seen worse when I didn't have bills to pay. I think part of it depends on what job sector you're in.

18. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    ......just wondering how bad it will be until we're eating mor catfish:wink:

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I definitly said yes. I have a secure job but there are many many folks that don't. I think it will turn around but don't have any idea when. I personally know alot of folks that can't hold out much longer.