The dumbest thing!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mississippi man, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    This might be the most rediculous thing I have ever done on the river. I thought I have had my fair share of blunders on the river, but this one takes the cake. Usually, I settle for leaving the plug out. Sometimes I can't get the boat off the trailer because I left the straps on. Maybe I forgot to lock down the trailer again and the boat goes sailing off in the ditch while I am driving. Well I almost forgot about the time when I was climbing on the bow, slipped off and fell on the winch and almost was off to get stitches. Shoot this time I actually made it to my fishing spot without any major mechanical malfunction. This time kinda reminds me of the time when I was standing on the front deck, throwing the cast net, and someone started the motor, in gear, and I ended up landing on my head on the bottom of the boat. I guess it reminds me of that because it involves a cast net. You know it was one of those times when you can't seem to find the bait. You are so focused on getting a good throw and actually starting to fish, that you do something stupid, like forget to tie the net to your arm!!! Yeah I am an idiot! I had just put the net down and was so intent on doing everything else. I forgot to tie it off. I threw it and watched the most beautiful throw and distance I ever got. I tried for about thirty minutes to fish it out but the current was strong and I could not find it for anything. So if you get a net on your line or in your prop just say thanks! Just trying to do my part to help the community out. Am I accident prone or does anyone else have these kind of problems? Good thing I don't drink! Any more of this and I might start. It is a real good thing I can laugh at myself!!!!!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We ALL do stupid stuff from time to time. I think we ALL need to slow down a tad! :wink:

Bill in SC

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I would think the above would have taken cake! :crazy:
    Sorry about the cast net. Good story though. I guess the trip was over after that? :smile2:

4. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    No, I usually have a couple of them in the boat. I did not catch anything, it is like rubbing salt in the wound especially after the bites we got.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We all do stupid things from time to time :smile2:

6. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I know I have done my fair share of things like this and will do more!:smile2:

7. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never do stupid things like the time I was duck hunting and looked down the lake and saw a boat floating. I thought What dumby let his boat go. Then I looked in the hide and deceided I was that dummy! Another friend of mine saw it and came and got me so I didn't have to spend the nite in the blind.:eek:oooh:

8. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I have to admit that I have left the plug out and the straps on a number of times myself!!:embarassed:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I don't think you missed one stupid thing that I have done at one time or another. You described my typical trip to a T.

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Troy,
    When you mentioned falling on the winch I could almost feel that. OUCH
    ...W

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    but ya never mentioned anything about forgetting the anchor is still in and running wide open for 100 yards wondering what the heck is wrong with the engine and then the rope finally (or luckily) breaks and ya take off like being shot out of a gun and all but fly out the back of the boat, :crazy: :smile2: Or while cutting up bait and not watching what your doing and running a 12" fillet knife through the base of the thumb area and clean out the other side about 4 inches :wink: then telling the nurse in the ER Yes I may need a tetnus shot cause the knife may have been a bit dirty :smile2: :smile2: as they pick shad scales out of the wound......:roll_eyes: By the way, I also know someone who knows what it feels like to see the boat in the rear-view headed towards a bean field :smile2: (Guess the nut wasn't as tight as I thought)

12. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks for the laugh, I forgot about the time my buddy fell in the river, took his wet shoes and socks off. Then later while running up river in the boat it started to slow down. We finally made it to the ramp to find his socks wedged around the prop shaft.

13. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not trying to trump anyone's stupid things they've done. Lord knows I've done just about all the ones posted here, but about 7 years ago I was at George Winter Park on the Meremac River and a guy unhooked his trailer from his truck instead of the boat from the trailer and couldnt figure out why his boat wouldnt get on plane. Yes, the boat was still strapped to the trailer! I couldnt believe it!

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    The very first time & went deer hunting I was standing next to a tree when a spike buck made a left turn & started walking towards my tree. If
    I would have stood still long enough I would've be able to reach out & touched him with my left hand. But this dumb idiot opened up "TOO SOON"!:crazy:

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Want an adventure... fish in Aaron Land's boat sometime. It is never dull. :smile2:

16. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep, been there and done some of that... Fell in the lake once, thought I was going to drown until my buddy told me to stand up. Then there was this time that I was fishing at the coast and at the end of a long day had pulled the boat up into as shallow water that I could and tied it to a stake on land. I didn't want it to float away.....The only problem is that it was at high tide.... I didnt fish out of my boat the next day.....lol

17. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Here is a pic of the fall on the winch.

18. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    can't figure it out check my pics

19. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I almost forgot the time my cousin hooked my dog in the nads! Believe it or not that wasn't worst part. It was when my dad pushed the hook on through and cut the barb off is when the dog began to really yelp!

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am never going fishing with you...