The Duke

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smitty1963, Mar 17, 2009.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does anyone remember the first movie that John Wayne was in?????

2. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    1939 Stage Coach was his first movie, if I remember right.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It definitely wasn't Stagecoach. That's the movie that made him a star in 1939, but he had made dozens of 'B' Westerns by then. His first starring role was in 'The Big Trail' in 1930. He worked as a prop man before that.

4. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    For everyone who was wondering it was The Great K&A Train Robbery it was done in 1926

5. jitterbug

jitterbug New Member

State:
    I reside in southern Ind.
    Ok we know what his first movie was now what was his last movie.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I think it was "The Shootist"?

Read somethin' interesting the other day......the Coen brothers are remaking "True Grit". They wrote the screenplay, and it tells the tale from the viewpoint of the 14-year-old girl at the story's heart. They'll be re-teaming with the fella (can't think of his name) who was involved in the making of "No Country For Old Men". Didn't see any info on who would be starring.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The Shootist

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    He entered the movie business as a laborer in the 1920s, and gradually worked his way into bit parts, then small speaking roles, including appearances in Salute and Men Without Women, both directed by his future mentor, John Ford. His first big break came in 1930 at age 22. With Gary Cooper unavailable to star in The Big Trail, director Raoul Walsh picked Wayne because "The sonuvabitch looked like a man." :eek:oooh::smile2: