The dreaded frozen pipe syndrome!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Woke up this morning and had water. Shortly after daybreak, pipes were frozen. I felt bad until many folks I talked to have frozen pipes too. It's a helpless feeling waiting on pipes to un-thaw, when the temp is still below freezing. It doesn't bother me too much, but the women folk kinda get used to havin' it. :wink::smile2: I drug my infra red propane heater under the house in an attempt to get at least one set of pipes workin'. Every two or three years, we always seem to have one or two days of cold weather. Hope I can get 'er goin' before dark. Update. just checked and the one I had wrapped the best outside is drippin' so it won't be long now!

BB

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Frozen pipes can definitely be a headache. I have wrapped all of mine with electric tape. Problem solved.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ........if you let the faucet in your sink just barely trickle it will prevent your pipes from freezing so easy........might jack your water bill up a lil though, lol

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well frozen is better than broke, hope none get damaged on ya. Good luck with it Bill.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    good luck Bill hope none are busted cause that is a pain in the ---. I have been lucky so far this yr.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looks like all systems are back up and running. Turned out that the points on the pump were not making connection. I'm sure it froze somehow last night, as I forgot to turn the light on in the pump house. No question the points messed up due to the pump freezing. I filed them down with an emery board, and its fine now. LUCKY the pump didn't burst. Apparently the pipes are all ok too! Very relieved that it's fixed!

Bill in SC

7. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill the plumber. :eek:oooh:
    Are you any kin to Joe the plumber?:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Bill the plumber. :eek:oooh:>

Jack of many trades, master of NONE! :smile2:

Bill in SC

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well atleast you werent planning on going fishin. @ weeks ago I was loaded up ready to go to the lake and when my buddy got here we were going to be on our way. I went to brush my teeth and no water. Well the wife wasnt happy and said well I guess your not going fish now and my reply was go to your mommas and shower Im goin and they will be thawed when I get home.LOL Well they wouldve thawed but the boat motor was froze too so no fishin for me.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Im glad everything worked out Bill.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You poor boy's! lol If I had a dollar for every busted pipe I've replaced I could get a new Abu! Tape works good till the electric goes out and you can run them full blast till it gets below zero. When I worked for the water dept we used to take the welder our and hook up one lead to the pipe and the other to the ground. were talked pipe buried four foot deep. It might thaw in eight hours ore maybe twelve. I've got a toilet line froze as we speak that has tape on it but there is one area in the crawl space that I just cant get to and thats right where it is.lol Some times the cats get under the house and tear out little bits of insulation, just enough for a place for the wind to shoot through. Man these old houses are a never ending battle. But every spring i say it can wait. till fall then winter hits again!. I'm sure lucky I like to fish and take the stress away. lol :smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    But every spring i say it can wait. till fall then winter hits again!.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I was afraid ours was going to freeze but we were lucky and they didn't. Its supposed to be in the high 60's over the next few days.