The Difference between Others vs Eagle Claw kahles

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by SubnetZero, Aug 8, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've found the Eagle Claw kahles always seems to get a better hook up ratio than some other kahles I buy..
    Snelling up my hooks tonite, I think I figured out why..

The Eagle Claws are offset, where the point is pointing to the side of the shaft and the other kind where inline (the point point straight back at the shaft).....
    I believe the offest point helps quite a bit in hookups.. I took my pliers and just bent the others slightly to be offset..
    I'll try em out this Sat and hopefully be able to test em :big_smile:

2. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let us know if that makes a difference or not. I prefer the kahles over any other hook. Just seem to hook up more with the kahles.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, all I have used are Eagle Claw Kahles. And they are indeed awesome hooks, I would never use any other hook now. I recently started using 10/0 Eagle Claw King Kahles, have not had many missed fish. I think you're right about the offset helping.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Update:

The offset hook is by far better for hookups.. Last two trips out I noticed a HUGE difference in hookup % between offset and non offset .... All my hooks are offset now :roll_eyes:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I noticed that the Mustard brand Kahles are smaller per numerical size and seem to be made of thinner wire per actual size,when compared to the Eagle Claw.This could be to a advantage or a disadvantage according to the use and fishing situation.I post this in the hope that it may help some one who orders their hooks.I have found #8 Eagle Claw Kahles to be great bluegill and bull head hooks and yet strong enough to land a 4 lb. Bowfin.I found the 1/0 & 2/0 to be great crappie and frying size cat hooks.They are a GREAT hook for CHILDREN and some handicapped and really seem to help OUR hookup rates.peewee-williams

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is excellent information. From now on I will use Eagle Claw Kahle hooks.
    I have tried the circle hooks and I just don't care for em. Reps for ya.-------pk powell:smile2:

7. kacal

kacal New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i think it does not matter what pole line reel & hook you be useing as long as you catch a fish ...............:confused2:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Good info Tim and I totally agree with your experiences as they are the same as mine.I just can't get myself to swith to circles because of that small gap.I say that having caught tons of fish on circles when fishing with guides and friends.The 7/0 Eagle Claw Kahles in nickel finish are close to perfect as far as I am concerned.If I was going to use circles I would use the Daiichi Circle Chunk Lights as they have a much bigger gap.The beauty of the Kahle is they have a much better hookup ratio than circles yet function the same way.Can't beat that.:big_smile: :lol:

9. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Just remember that anytime you fish with an offset hook you increase the chances of guthooking a fish.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Eagle Claw offset isn't as much as that on a offset J hook. If you'll look at a Gamatsu Octopus Circle hook, you'll find its offset too...just gandered at a 7/0.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I examined the hooks in my current collection. All my Eagle Claw Kahle's are offset, my Gamatsu and VMC Octopus hooks are offset, and, much to my surprise, after reading the above, my Mustad kahle type hooks are offset. Maybe my hooks are an abberation. All I know is, the hook-up rate for the given type of hook is the same...kahle compared to kahle, Octopus circle compared to Octopus circle.

As to whether offset makes a difference, for years, I used both offset and straight J hooks. Usually, my hookups were better with straight J's. With kahle can circle type hooks, the offset may make a difference because the fish most likely takes the hook sideways, thus so many corner of the mouth hookups.

12. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have used Eagle Claw kahles for a long time. I never really noticed the offset. I do not remember ever catching a catfish on a kahle hook that was not hooked in the corner of the mouth. I do use some circle hooks now along with the kahles and have had good luck with those also.

Tony

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    As long as I can remember I have been using kahles and circles with offsets and have yet to guthook a fish. If you do, just cut the line off near the hook and make sure the fish is not bleeding.

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Agree With Tim And Zakk.

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    A little over 4 years ago while fishing with a heavy roller guide rod,309 Penn,80lb line,4/0 Eagle Claw kahle hook and using a large skipjack head for bait I hooked up a cat that was so big that I got my feet wet when it almost pulled me from the bank.The fish got hung up and pulled off the hook but I did get the hook back and the cat didn't bend it.This don't sound like much but I had the drag set to the 80lb line,in other words very tight and the fish was striping off line big time didn't strighten the hook so I will keep using Eagle Claw hooks.

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Seems to me that they are very sharp and real strong, I don't think that makes the other's bad just make them better.