The Delaware River - Got a shad

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by kenlaw76, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I went out on the big D and got a Shad on a flutter-spoon today. It is going to be another week or so till they run up the river hard. I will post some pics when my buddy sends them to me. I didn't have my camera today.

2. DawgHouse

DawgHouse New Member

State:
    PA

Yo, do you know where there is a public boat launch on the delaware where you were fishin. If I can get my boat up and running in the next week we'll hit it up. I posted on the boat forum for some help with the problems that my motor is having. Hopefully I get some good feed back.
    Then we can make real good use of those flutter-spoons.

3. Thanks for the new thred Ken.:roll_eyes: Welcome to the BOC Dawghouse.:tounge_out: I guees the extended cold period in the local river areas are holding up the shad run?:sad2: Or doesn't it matter? :confused2:You use them for bait? Dawghouse, I wouldn't hit the Delaware without fix'n your motor issues or hittn' the ramp with a backup boat'n pal with a second boat.:wink:

4. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    There is a launch right there on the Jersey side below the bridge. We need to start worring about the striper and herring run too. My buddy from work got a 28" sriper on a bloodworm yesterday and was talking to a guy who caught a 35", #25 striper on a bloodworm.

5. DawgHouse

DawgHouse New Member

State:
    PA
    Thats what I'm talkin about!!! Was dude fishin from shore or a boat? And was he using fake or real bloodworms?:smile2:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Only if it was legal to use them suckas as bait.

They would be mighty fine catfish bait!:cool2:

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Those cats are eatin them shad up gettin fat

8. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Caught from shore on live bloodworms

9. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey bud talking about herring run I was fishing the tidal part of the Maurice River saturday night while camping in southwest Jersey and let me tell you what the herring were going crazy so I dont think they are far from coming up our way. Where I was fishing was probably 5-10 miles from the Delaware Bay. So I would keep a look out because these guys were tearing up the stripers and they were catching the herring right off the shore with a cast net. They werent big stipers but the herring were jumping all over the place I think they were running from the fish. I was fishing for cats and when I went to leave these guys told me that the herring were starting that night was the first night that they saw the herring like that this year so they are coming just letting you guys know get ready cause they will be here soon if they already arent.

10. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    There is guys filling up coolers every morning on the high tide from the bank. It is still to early to use herring up here I think. Blookworms are prob. your best bet right now.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Are we talkin American or Gizzard shad?

12. kenlaw76

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am talking about American Shad. One of my buddies was out yesterday for a while and didn't get a one. He said there were 4 other boats and he didn't see one boated. The rain lowered the temp. of the river so it might take a few days to get it back up. I heard of a few #20-#30 stripers caught from the Jersy side of the Del. a few days ago on cut herring. I might hae to go and give it a shot soon.