The decline of common sense boating

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by CatfishJohn.612, Aug 14, 2007.

1. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is it me or has there been a real issue lately with rude and inconsiderate boaters. Are there numbers growing on texas waters? I went fishing in the middle of the week a couple weeks ago and I was amazed and pissed at some of the things I saw going on.i.e saw a boater anchor 20 yards off a public fishing pier and by doing so cutting 4 lines that had been thrown out. I saw another boat, a bass boat fly by a 10 or 12 foot jon boat with about 30 feet between them at mach 3, the wake almost turned the jon boat over. And I don't even want to get started on the jet skiers. What is your folks take on this. Its gotten so bad that I try to only go out to the lake during the week. Mostly just to avoid confrontation, and me blowing up on some of these rude folks.

2. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    John, it's not just you. It's a lack of appreciation for what we have. I fish alot of nights this time of year with guests and it always amazes me the number of poeple sitting anchored up in total black out; asking to get plowed over. I always shine my spot on them until I pass. Bugs or no bugs..safety first.
    I attribute the lack of common courstesy to a simple lack of appreciation to live in this great country. Some need to visit 3rd world places to see just how great they have it, maybe then they would repsect their neighbor a tad more or just the very oppurtunity to have a boat and a lake to fish in.
    Used to get me all riled up when I thought about it, now I just accept it and try my best to set the example , hoping to influence at least someone through my actions.
    Hang in their brother...I know your pain. :wink:

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    NO my friend it is not just yourself, or your local body of water, Sad to say! NO RESPECT!! is what I believe not many folks have it any more, :sad2: just the other day myself and a new buddy were fishing at a local lake and no-one, I mean not 1 other boat for as far as you could see, and then "Mr. Look at my $40,000 boat" comes by with in 20 yards, no reason at all for any of it! So I am sure most agree that is is all over the country and seems to be getting worse everyday. And as much as I hate to say it or do it, sometimes ya just have to write the number down and make a report, I have no other idea how to get it across to some of them :sad2: not sure an attitude adjustment would help them either........

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Were you on Lake Springfield :eek:oooh: .. I fished that lake once during the day on my boat.. Last time I will.. Either go out early and off by 9:30am, heading out as sun going down and the yahoo's pulling out, or bank fish it.. I won't get out on the water during the day again....

Sangchris, aint too bad, few bass guys that like to troll right over your lines:eek:oooh:. but least its not a constant barrage of wake.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    This type of behavior is across the country. People used to slow down when they saw you anchored off in the river..now they fly by waving like stoned idiots.. I try to get out during the week so I do not have to put up with these weekend idiots that get out on the water. Next thing you know people will be talking about "boat rage" if we start going off on some of these fools!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    John G.... My personal opinion is this is a part of "spare the rod and spoil the child" philosophy. These ones your mentioning are the ones who had the rod spared on their backside, as a result they have no respect for anyone other than themselves. They are the same ones who cruise by you on the Interstate doing 80 to 85 because traffic laws do not pertain to them...they are too good to be regulated. These are the ones who think it is okay to rob a 7 - 11, shucks they aren't hurting anyone. Sure wish the government would initiate an OPEN season on these dumb a..'s. Wouldn't take too many shots across their bow (or even closer) to make these old boys wise up.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Very good points, all of you. Sadly, we run into it here in Louisiana all the time. The idiots with the jet skis, coming up close to see what you're doing; the nitwits that don't know, or don't have enough sense, to launch a boat & GET OUT OF THE WAY!;the bass boats....oh don't even start!!
    We like to fish "noodles" on the river, so we're out at night alot. Sometimes some genius comes flying by in his big ole boat & plows right through them. I always hope that some day that line, noodle, & weight will wrap around that prop! At least he'd have something to occupy his time with....cleaning that mess off his prop!!
    All we poor ole dumb, lowly catfishermen can do is show just "How much more class we have!":wink:

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Good one Ladyfish because we watched one that had to untangle out of his prop after getting tangled in one of my friends we just watched and waited and smiled when he was done.

And no we did not confront him because the ole boy I fish with is 6'2" about 300+ and kind hearted as can be. He said that guy learned his lesson. I personally don't like fishing Lake Sommerville right now but it is a good lake you just have to fish early or late because last time I stay I had about 10,000 idiots (some of them fisherment come by me on plane). Unfortunately right now I don't have much choice because the other lakes I normally fish are 20' over pool. There are other lakes out there but I really don't feel like going 100 miles to fish right now.

9. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Folks are driving their boats just like they are driving their cars. The Coast Guard and Local law enforcement do noting on the water to stop them. It is like a free for all out there sometimes.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No its not about common sense its about being a idiot!!! No consideration to others!!! And its everywhere in life and in business!!! The public gets meaner everyday!!! The one that slays me are the ones who intententionally go by at mach 3 when you are fishing on bank!!! A friend of mine wont go anymore cause he is afraid he will shoot some idiot! We have had the nuts go by us in our bass buggy at 15 feet and throw a 3 foot wake at us!! Just one day I wished they would open season on A-holes!! No limit!!

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You're right about one thing...."No limit" of a-holes...for sure!!:smile2:

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ok, I had to chime in here on an incident that I witnessed. Some boaters and some water skiers kept coming by some guys bank fishing. It was obvious that we were fishing.
    They kept coming by and splashing these guys bankfishing and wouldnt leave them alone, on a very big lake. I was more worried about one of them wrapping one of my lines up in a prop.
    So one of the guys in the fishing party (not me) went to his truck and got his paintball gun and commenced to unleash pink 68 caliber 300f.p.s. paintballs at on coming boats and jet skiers. Needless to say, it soon esceladed, to people threatening to go get real guns, again not me.... So I packed up my gear and got out.

But it sure was funny watching them scramble to get away..........:smile2:

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with you guys it just keeps getting worse remember that boy they whipped in Singapore with the cane you don,t hear about him getting in trouble any more. maybe thats what we need over here with all the bleeding hearts we have it will never happen. I don,t it would take but just a few if it was done on the court house square .

14. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Yeah it's gotten pretty bad. I hate fishing on the river bank in the midday because people fly by me 10 foot away with no respect and just smile. I remember one day some guy got my line caught in his prop. Needless to say I wasn't to happy and he knew that but I tried my best to be polite. My friend on the other hand if someone does that to him he yells and complains like no other he lets them no. I just try to have some respect and not try to work myself up

15. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Its just gotten so bad now that I am waiting for that "boat rage" incident to break. I hate to see it happen, but I believe that it won't be long. Then you got to wonder what kind of "ripples" an incident like that would make between the common good hearted fishermen and the local law. It probably won't be good.

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Try fishing from a solo canoe or kayak. On come lakes, the jet ski boys love to buzz you, hoping to flip you over.

17. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    There are NO SHORTAGE OF A-HOLES IN WACO EITHER!! One of my fishing Buddies has a solution about the jet skiers and wake boarders on the river when we are fishing! He will tell them to read the 2'x2' sighn beside the ramp the first time they buzz us. Next he will speck FORCEFULLY and warn them if they persist. After that he has a Serf Rod with a 4oz egg sinker that will get HURLED twards them if they don't stop!! He is VERY ACCURATE with it, and will give them a few warning throws. That usually stops them!!:smile2: He said he has only had to try to hit 1 person, and finally the game warden came by to check for fishing lic. and he told the Warden, and the Warden busted out laughing!! He (the Warden) said it serves them right if the keep on being A-HOLES!!

I just keep on fishing like I was and if they wind up getting hooked, it is their bad!! We had Kayackers put in the water not more than 10' beside where we had lines out the other day! I kept on throwing my 1/2oz Rattle Trap just as they wern't there! It didn't take them long to see they were "In My space" and they moved ferther down the bank!! About 10 minuts later one of them wound up tangeling up in another fishermans lines!!! We has NOT HAPPY!! Hell they had 100 yards of bank between us that was WIDE OPEN!! Yet they put in right on top of me?????? I think people have a BIG CASE of the STUPID DISEASE!!! :eek:oooh:

Oh well my Rant is over!! I feel better! LOL

Take Care,
    Andy

18. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah happens here all the time, we was the lake lavon power plant discharge, trying to stay in our own little spot as best we could and some guy in one of those floating things comes in and casts right across are lines and at least 3 other boats lines, soon he got his lure stuck on our prop, none the less we werent happy, we just left, but i know somethin like this is gonna escelate big time... it aint long till people start gettin hurt... thats why im scared of night fishing, being on a little 14ft boat in a big lake, i scene people goin mach 3 at night and it scares the livin daylights outa me, and we have all the lights and stuff but its not us im woried bout its the a-holes drivin the boats at 100mph not watchin where there goin that scares me!!!

19. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Oklahoma is full of them also!

I bank fish and if there's other people around, I'll keep my lines in one area so the other people have a place to fish?
    Once in a while, these bass fishermen will come by in their fancy boats and run over all of our lines?
    Now when I see one coming that might be a problem, I reel in one of my heavier poles and put a good size treble hook on it and try and catch their line when they cast.
    If I catch it, I'll give it a little jerk, making them think they have a fish, then when they stand up to reel it in, I give it a big jerk and keep pulling.
    I haven't pulled anyone out of their boat yet, but I've had them cut their lines to get away.

Some of these guys think just because they are in a boat, they are better then people that fish from the bank and we should let them do what they want?

I don't want to sound mean, but people that fish from the bank only have so much area they can fish and people with boats, have the whole lake or river to fish, so stay away from the banks when people are trying to fish, or you might find yourself swimming back to your boat!

Ken

20. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's a product of our society, for some reason people are angry with their boat handling and highway driving. We all complain about the "Sunday driver", but I remember Sunday drives and they were a good thing. Folks simply need to slow down and enjoy what is left of good old Mother Earth.