The day the blue catfish were made - Lower Otay - 71.5 and 25 pounder - 3/28/09

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Had a very good day out on the water along with Kyshand. I had a feeling that something good was going to jump off today because the weather was so great and the feeling was just in the air to get into some great action. We arrived at opening and rented a boat (my boat is still in the shop), so I had to result to old school techniques minus the fishfinder. But you know what, I caught the bulk of my big blues with no use of a fish finder at all which is something else I might add. So I just went off of my instincts today. We went to the harvey arm cove and sat out. My first run came at 730am - turned out to be a 25 pound blue. Another run came at 9am - it came loose at hook set. Another run came at noon that came loose at hookset as well so I am then 1 for 3 runs already. All of these runs were big as I was totally in the blue zone today and had all heads out.

Next run came at 2pm and this one was stuck and did not come loose on the hook set. Brought him in after a little over 5 minutes and was a 71.5 pound blue. Its been a little while since I caught a big blue( 2 years) so I was totally happy about that. My last biggest one was in 07 a 50 pounder from San V. I initially though it to be in the 60's but it made its mark in the 70's. My first 70 pound class blue. Overall it was my best day at the Ty so far and look to get back out there as soon as I can if possible. I have some pics as well as video of the day action. Video will be posted as soon as it loads at you tube.

Thanks. B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Good day, I spent the day selling raffle tickets at the
    Fred Hall Boat and tackle show in Del Mar. Well, only the afternoon. It was a good feeling, raising money for the Wounded Marines fishing and kids fishing trips. I woulda liked the feeling of bringin in a good size fish like that tho. I"m sure it would take me more than 5 min to bring it in tho. Congratulations, your previous trip paid off.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brain glad to here you had a great day .And you just proved with know how you can and will hook into large fish with out electronic's ...Lol you went ol skool on them and won :smile2:

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice catch Brian. Did you release the big one?:cool2:

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks guys.

Both blues were released. I release all my big blues. Will get the vid up soon.

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Brian, Congrats on some very nice blues and a great trip thanks for sharing the pics and the story:smile2::wink:

Can't wait for the Vid:cool2:

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Sorry about the double post BOC is acting weird:confused2:

Brian, thanks agin for the pics:cool2:

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Cool beans Brian. Looking forward to that. I love seeing catfish videos. :cool2:

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Very nice work bro! So Im taking it that this fish is your new PB?

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks Dameon. This is my pb for the year. My biggest blue is 81.5 back in 05 but that seems like ages ago. Lol.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks everybody. Finally got the vid up. Had to edit it I had too much on their and it would not load so I cut a lot of stuff out. Still cool though. I really need to upgrade in cameras though. Have to save some snaps for that. Here is the link.

[youtubevid]pB9BuoYAl6Q[/youtubevid]

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Test test. forums acting up again. LOL

13. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great fish. Great video. Thanks for sharing.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    WTG Blue. Nice vid:wink:

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Great Video!!!!! Make sure you post that in the Catfish Video section!!!! Awesome.....reps to you, especially for the release!!!!!

16. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Great blue and great video. I can not wait to get into the 70 pound class fish, shoot I cant wait to get into the 60 pound class fish. Way to go, the only thing that would have been missing in my boat would have been the screaming and hollering:smile2:.

17. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Awesome Blue and video!!! Thanks for the post.

18. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Dude, you're gonna need a bigger net for that record fish with your name on it. Good job brutha

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks fellas. I appreciate it. Its been a little while since I caught a big blue, I have lost like 3 real good ones that last few years including one a month ago from Otay so it felt great to get back into the lunker circle with a blue. I almost had to change my name to flathunter lol.

The blue came from shallow water like 10 feet of water. Lots and lots of baitfish was in the zone and that is one of the things that caught my attention I saw shad and minnows like everywhere and the blues were chasing them. The shad were boiling here and there like most of the day and the birds were dipping and diving so I knew the blues were somewhere nearby with all that happening.

Randy that 70 pounder fit in the net perfectly. I know it would be a task to get a 100 pounder in there. LOL. I have a real good feeling that this spring and fall may bring about an other 90 to 100 plus from Otay. This lake kicks into full gear the spring time and a lot of people neglect it by concentrating on panfish or flathead fishing during this time but missing out on trophy blues at Otay. I will still fish for flats but will also save a trip for a chance at getting a 100 plus from Otay. I will be fishing Otay continuously year round all thru spring, summer, fall and winter. Getting a 30-50 pound flat is cool but getting a 70 plus blue is even greater.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats Brian. Awesome video. You guys sure do have some big blues out there in Cali. :cool2: