the day no bait was caught, but many cats were

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohiocattin15, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    today me and my girlfriend went to my fishin spot to have a nice relaxing day catching channels. I had liver leeches and nightcrawlers and i would really just like fishing with bluegill, so i took a light set up and was about 2 feet down under a slip bobber tryin to catch some bait which is never a problem. I casted out about 10-15 feet right in the spot where i usually catch them and waited a few minutes and no bluegill were around, so i decided to rig up my catfish rods and throw one out with liver on it while i was waitin on those bluegill. so i casted out and noticed my bobber was no where in sight, which meant bluegill was now on the catfish menu, as i went to set the hook i couldnt turn the darn fish. I finally got the fish in after about a 5 minute fight and there was a good sized channel. I thought, jeez what the heck? so i put on another little bit of nightcrawler and kept doing the same thing, catching catfish on very light tackle and tiny pieces of crawler. I actually got to the point where i was frustrated cuz i wanted a bluegill so i could catch the big boys, but the first thing i said when i reeled that catfish in was, hey atleast i didnt get skunked. I will always remember the day i couldnt catch bait but the catfish took care of me anyhow. couldnt ask for anymore

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Can't complain about that. Sounds like a good day fishing.

3. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I get the same result occaisionally, actually had good enough cats on my ultralight bait rig that I just couldn't turn and they broke me off.

4. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it was a good time, would have caught more but my girlfriend doesn't have the patience. lol

5. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    Catch them like you can!!!What a great fight on light tackle.