The Dam

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by fishingbuddy4, Oct 16, 2008.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    What is that dam just north of where the missouri comes in? And how close are you allowed to fish to it?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Melvin Price Dam, also known as Alton Dam, ramp is known as Maple Island Ramp. Right above the dam, is the Alton Marina & their ramp. Not sure about how close, above the dam, but I'm pretty sure its 200 ft below.

3. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I think 300ft below and 500ft on the up stream side.Watch it because they are cracking down on that rule you will get a ticket if you are past the line.:smile2:

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    wont be over there until next year when i get my boat fixed,but my wifes brother moved to st louis so i am going to make some trips over there ,and drop her off and hit the river ,never fished the mississippi before.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Come on over Robert, you don't have to wait till you get your boat fixed or even when you do bother trailering it all the way over here. There are plenty of people over this way that are out on the water and would be glad to take you out.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Robert, let us know ahead of time, we’ll get ya out on the river. :wink:

7. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Does anybody have any tips on fishing below Melvin Price dam on the Mississippi. I have been through there in my Baja but have never fished there but would like to (in my bass boat). Is the best place to put in the ramp on the Missouri side below the dam or is it just as good to fish from the bank? How is the best way to rig your pole for there? I hear rumors about fishing with artificial lures there in the fast water - any truth to that? Thanks you.

8. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Can't put in there if the water is low best spot is columbia bottoms.

9. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Is there a ramp at Columbia Bottoms? What do you catch behind the Price dam besides big cats? I know they are there - besides the record coming from there, I went out on the dam one time on a tour and right behind the gates are a bunch of big #$%ing cats. I hear about catching walleyes, sauger, and skipjacks behind the dam. Are they there too. If so, anybody have any pointers?

10. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Yes you can catch all that there and more I have even caught smallmouth bass down below the damm. The ramp at columbia bottoms is a good ramp it puts you in close to everywhere.It is about 3 miles up from the mouth of the Mo river.

11. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Cool, I will plan on putting in there as soon as the weather warms up a little. What kind of tackle would you suggest and where do you are the best places to fish below the dam?

12. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    anywhere from the damm down stream it's all good.