The coon That Wouldnt die

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 7, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    we where at my best freinds dads ranch, and we decided we wanted to go hog hunting. so we set out with a ranch hand and went into the wild game fence, because the hogs where busting right through this game fence (used to be a hunting lodge, then was sold to my friends dad) and where tearing everything up, after checking about 4 of the best spots and being out for about 3 1/2 hours we decided to head back. on our way back the ranch hand(jerrod) spotlighted a medium sized coon. i sighted in on the coon with an AR 15 i shot him and he fell half way down the tree, grabbed back on and started climbing down. when he hit the ground jerrod shot him with his pistol once, the coon fell over got back up and starting walking off so i took aim once again and nailed him right in the neck from about 20 feet away. he fell down and got back up, the jarred shot him 3 more times before the coon finnaly stopped. i tell you what that was the toughest coon i ever shot at!

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    AR 15? shotgun, rifle, pistol? anyways that sounds like one tough coon.

3. gsbrown00

gsbrown00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    you should have made a hat out of him after all that effort but everything is tougher in Texas

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Bet you were shooting "hardball", FMJ ? Spend a few extra cents and use a good hollow point. Be surprised the difference. That's why the 9mm has such a bad rep, and the GI's are still complaining....hardball just makes neat little holes, does'nt cause shock. That was the advantage the 45acp had as it made a neat little large hole & most time didn't go thru, stayed in. High velocity only works if you can get all the energy in the target.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    hollow points, okay. The AR-15 is the civiallian version of the M-16 (AR stands for atomatic rifle) it uses a .223. and i think the pistol was a .45. its a great gun, and i think i saw one at academy for $600. it hardly kicks at all and has a banana clip that holds up to 30 rounds.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    in my opinion, the M-16 is more or less like a .22 rimfire when it comes to military. its really a crap weapon to use. and that proves how bad of a choice it is to give most of our guys over seas a gun thats twin sister cant kill a coon compaired to these other guys with Ak-47s. sure the M-16 bullet is designed to break up and twist when it enters the target, but its still not something id want to use for modern day combat. and over there, id want a compact 10 ga. shotgun for all that door to door, building to building stuff they do. open a door up and have a room cleaned out from buckshot in 2 to 3 shots.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Jayson don't worry for our guys. The new carbines are bug free and the ss109 round they are using now is steel core and heavier weight than previous. Made to penetrate armor. Three round sel fire burst and tricked out with good optics. The body armor got where it needs to go finally and is far superior to anything previous. Snipers are using 308 in tricked out rifles and spec. ops. are using 50 BMG rifles for one mile shots. Special forces are all packing 45's and equipment wise our military never had it so good....The government is spending more on the optics for the rifles than the cost of the rifles themselves. Worry, but not for the equipment. Worry that this thing is over quickly. Worry than it wasn't a terrible mistake to send our folks in harms way so long. Worry that the government will take care of out vets when they get home. Always stuff to worry about.....
    :sad2:

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Hey Boots, so your saying the "run of mill" military gun is a .308? Do you know the caliber of those ak47s? Speaking of the .50bmg is saw a video online with a guy shooting a man hole cover from 600yards with one. The .50cal bullet went right on thru.

9. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    .223 round is 5.56 MM
    Ak-47 shoots a 7.62 x 39

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yep them coon are pretty darn tough.... lol ya just gotta aim right.... jk jk..

heck id just get a .50bmg.... why not.. they kick like a .243.... aint no coon gonna survive that!! : )

BIGGER IS! BETTER

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Not run of mill. Sniper guns are 308. But the 5.56 round was improved.
    AK's 7.62x39mm. Just a little stiffer than 30-30. Squad machine gun is 5.56 also, but much higher rate of fire than the older M60 30cal. And the browning 50's are still kicking butt in turret mounts. The real advantage to the 5.56 isn't just cost, it's amount of ammo fella can carry. GI's WW2 carried just 80 rds. of 30-06 as standard gear. For the same weight you can carry over 200 rds. of 5.56. If you've ever packed bandaleers for an M60 you can appreciate how much 308 ammo weighs...so it's a good compromise. Army shooting 300 meter matches with 5.56. Sorry to get so far off thread with these posts.
    :confused2:

12. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    That was one tough coon! I had a bobcat to do that to me once and also a river otter! They were shoot several times plus hit in the head by a rifle butt!

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i usually hit em once3 or twice with a cci .22 stinger hollow piont. usually one in the knogen does it.

14. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Kevin Your right that was a tough coon I was there with you. There was atleast 4+ bullet holes in that thing!!!!!!

15. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah that was awesome, to bad we didnt get any hogs, i know how much u wanted to shoot, lol