The Coon Man.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by postbeetle, Oct 25, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A coon man in a deer hunting thread you ask. We will get to the deer hunting shortly and I will ask you some questions.

Yesterday p.m. I was fishing my small front pond catching out channels I have caught over the summer from the river. I put them in this pond and they have a smorgasboard of food and clean the river mud out of them by fall. In pulls my coon guy. He is the only one I now allow to hunt my place, and he has hunted here for 18 years. He likes to talk and I like to listen. After talking coons hides and dogs we start talking deer.

He has been hunting coon 42 years and has it in his blood like beer is in mine. This will probably be his last year. Each year finds it more difficult to hunt because ground is getting pulled out from under him, not for coon but because of deer. He told me this story. 15 miles East of me, 642 acres of mixed ground got sold to a guy from Milwaukee this spring. Timber, pasture, running water, farm ground, much like mine but 6 times more ground. The guy is involved in filming trophy deer hunting for Television. He has started 3 other of these projects in 3 other states. Ohio and Illinois and someplace else.

Here is what he's doing. He bought the ground for 1,500,000 dollars cash. He posted the place with 200 No Trespassing and hunting signs. He put 18 trail cameras on this place. He has most of the adjacent land cash leased with hunting rights to him only. ALL hunting rights, coon, coyote, deer, birds. One clause in the lease states no other guns are even allowed on the places. He threw out a renter on his place because the man had guns in his house. He is paying cash leases of up to 3,000 dollars a farm. He is sewing up a fairly large block of good ground. Here, if you are caught and convicted for trespassing, if it even goes to court, it is usually 300.00 bucks. He has publicly stated that because this enterprise is a "business and his livelihood" he is going to go after people at $20,000 a crack. He has the money and lawyers to go after a trespasser big time. I wouldn't want to be his first example. He is doing this because he has the money and he is trying to get record scoring deer for his enterprise.

Finally, my questions are these. He is not the only one, thousands of acres are bought in this county by out of area moneyed people doing the same or similar things. Nobody can compete because they have too deep a pocket. Is it happening in your area? Can he make this go? I have seen deer up to 5 miles away from my place that were residents on my property all year. Bucks I am talking about. Does and small bucks will not travel far, maybe a mile. The big guys move and move and move. If he gets want he wants in the way of big bucks is he raising them for somebody else? We are in a "good ol' boy" community here, if he pees enough people off and he is already doing it I can imagine some serious things happening here, just another complication in a complicated world.

Are you guys seeing the same thing? John.

2. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i came from upstate ny been in nc for 20 years that happen where i came fron used to be you could trout fish or hunt almost any place by just asking then the city folks started buying farms and posting theirs then hunted eleswhere came down here had to join a club did that but the last 5 years have not hunted jut fished the rich can pay all they want and screw the poor man bob

3. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    I used to lease a farm in nebraska,it was lousy with deer turkey,and it was in the river bottoms and the ducks and geese were everywhere.the big shots could not take it they had to have or lease that property .me and the farmer became friends and at first he turned down their offers so i could hunt there.they just kept upping the price until he could not resist ,and out i went and here they came.i was paying $500 a year to hunt there,one of the offers the farmer recieved was ten thousand dollars,how do you compete with that?

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we have lots of Dr. and Lawyer hunters come to my home town and buy land for hunting all the time. It has made it impossible for a cattle man to buy land and make a profit on it. Land has increased in value in the last 10 yrs from around $500 an acre to $2000-3000, depending on amount of deer on property

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Fortunatly there is plenty of public access areas to hunt. It may not be the best area and you have to contend with others but it's still free. You can't blame the farmers for wanting to make some money but the normal hunter can't compete with the doctors and lawyers that are willing to pay big money to lease. Luckily theres still plenty of farmers that remember there roots and will let people hunt.When the day comes I have to pay a thousand dollars to shoot a deer I will put a beef in the freezer and call it good.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    The county I live in here has the biggest deer kill in the state each year.. We have had your problem for the past 20 years..If you dont own the land you pretty much dont hunt..A big banker from Alabama bought 200 acres that joins me and all he does is deer hunt..he has cameras everywhere..I have always wanted to get a really good looking gorilla suit and go trampsing around there one evening just before dark..can you imagine the look on his face when he checked the pictures???:smile2:

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    John the Coon man is lucky to have you for a friend. Here it's mostly leases for hunting now. The land that was owned by out of staters is being sold and developed. Don't really understand the concept, but it seems to be working.
    You round a corner at where a tract of land was timber, & it's a trailer park, or pre-fab homes, side by side, just like in the city. Don't understand why you'd want to drive so long to live; just like in the city?
    As for the a$$ yer talking about, hope the good ol boys in the hood give him a run for his money...& let us know what show, so we don't watch it. Sounds like he's setting up for "canned hunts".
    :sad2:

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Welcome to modern-day deer hunting. He who has the $Buck$ gets the big bucks. Hunting ability no longer has anything to do with the quality of your deer hunting experience or the quality of buck you take, it's all in how much you can pay. There are people I know who are deer hunting dummies.... they're clueless, and they went and leased up big tracts of land and are killing monster bucks. They've got enough money, so they can do it. Meanwhile, guys like me are out on our butts looking at dink bucks on our small family tracts of land. This is what it's come to, so I guess I'll just make the most of it. I haven't paid a nickel to deer hunt in 10 years. I've just decided that I can't afford it, and I'm not gonna put my family in a bad spot just so I can hunt. If it comes to it, I'll just fish.

Public land? Yeah right. Come to Oklahoma & look for some public land. There's some really great public hunting ground about 6 hours from me, but it's just nearly unsafe to hunt there anymore. I had a college buddy who shot a really good buck out on the public land in SE Oklahoma, and by the time he got down and found his buck, there were 3 guys there admiring it & one of 'em was about to tag it. There's also a neat little thing going on in the public lands now, called gardening.... the dopers are growing their weed out there now. Much less to lose if you get busted on public land.

Okay, let me off my soap box.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    can you say hunting is turning into a rich mans game yet? i made a post about this last year and was somewhat knocked down on it because everyone said you could still find places to hunt by giving farmers all kinds of goodies for letting them hunt. them goodies is turning into cash and greed for trophy hunting. can he hold them deer on his land? sure he can to some degree. plant the right food plotts and he will pull in more deer and set up santuaries area where nobody goes in and the deer feel safe and no reason to leave. you hold the does and the bucks will stay. as for the "canned hunts"...well hes got to have a way to off set the cost of doing this somehow. so he will take a limited few in on a management hunt to cull out the bucks that dont have the trophy potenial to manage the herd. then comes in me and you that like to hunt without a place to hunt and we will pay the price to hunt. as for the trespassing thing well there is a place called dream mountain where some guys jumped the fence to kill big bucks and was later caught. the judge fined them the full price of each deer taken as if they was top end deer on the ranch because it was a business. this story was in teh north american whitetail 10 years ago. so i feel sure things have improved to protect these land owners farming for deer. yal did say doctors and lawyers right? yep laws have changed to protect them.:wink: enjoy it as long as you can before long you will be paying even on state land. i have seen state land get leased out from under the state also in sc 15 years ago and a lot of it too. thousands of arces from out of staters. i have said greed on here and folks didnt like that when it came to hunting either but thats what it is all about to me. people are crazy about them deer. im going on a "canned hunt" (outside the fence though)next year with my son because we dont have no place to hunt except here at my house and its five acres with a big corn pile.(legal here)if you plan to hunt in the future you better buy some land starting today!

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Keith let me know when you want to dress up and I will go with ya!!! Might just be kind fun.

11. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    It will have to be during one of the breaks in between seasons!!:smile2: