The color of goldfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by just cats, Sep 11, 2006.

1. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I was just wondering if any of you have noticed or have a preference when it comes to the color of your goldfish. I haven't noticed much difference but kind of prefer the darker ones that look more like carp. I just feel they are more natural looking. Not sure the catfish care one way or the other.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jack I Don't Know For shure But You might just have something there. I know I have used Goldfish several times when fishing the river and some times they have Produced and other times nothing bothers them. I have never paid much attention to there color but I will from now on to see if it makes any differance. Thank You J.D.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never paid attention either but will from now on, if I ever get to fish with goldfish agian

4. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I used to trotline with goldfish many years ago. The color never made any difference.

5. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Color doesn't matter at all. I think your WAY over estimating the vision of a fish, in the dark, in muddy water.

6. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I really never had any luck on the gold ones but i do have a lot of luck on the all white ones. my biggest flat was on the white gold fish. never tryed the brown gold fish but in my bait shop that i owned i really never got or sold brown gold fish. flatheads have very good eye site. blues have good eye site and the channels can see worth a crap. lol they pretty much just feel around with there feelers on there face.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I never do any good at all with goldfish

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i found a run off pond that has koi in it by the thousands all different sizes and colors and some are yellow and they are awesome, they seem to glow in the water. the white ones work well also. i like to take the ones that die and cut the tail off and use for cut bait they seem to bleed forever.

9. Big Cat Crazy

Big Cat Crazy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I seem to have had better luck on silver to bronze colored goldfish

10. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I just usually fish for channel cats but does anybody think that a channel cat will bite on goldfish? :wink:....but i really dont think it will matter on the color cause i guess the flatheads are just into (LIVE) bait!...(my opinion)

11. bigtimeblues

bigtimeblues New Member

State:
    missouri, macon
    I've caught lots of nice channels on goldfish while fishing for flatheads. But if I was fishing strictly for channels I'd stick with fresh cut bait.

12. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Cool thanx Greg, I will try both of them here in Arizona, and see which will work best for me where i fish! I appreciate it....John from Az. :big_smile:

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Theyr'e illeagal here to use. sorry I couldn't be of more help!

14. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Never fished with them but I would think it would make somewhat of a difference. I would imagine that if you were fishing in a muddy type situation a brighter goldfish would work better whereas it might better get the attention of the fish. Might not be as much a difference in clearer water though. I dont know, just a thought.

15. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Back in the 70's when my dad and I trotlined, when he sent me and my mom after goldfish he wanted the black ones. The goldfish I have available to me now come from a Fancy Goldfish Farm and they are BRIGHT, BRIGHT, BRIGHT orange and I still catch flatheads on them. I don't think the color maters as much as how lively they are and how long they stay alive on the hook. Did I mention they are bright orange? grizzly

16. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

some goldfish are raised on very cheep feeds, often these will have much lighter coloration as seen in the blacks and yellow/orange/red pigmentations. If they have the oportunity to feed on natural crustations their blacks will become dark black, and the yellow/orange/red pigment complex will become dark red. under this circumstance it is possible that the bait will pick up a slightly stronger sent and flavor from the food they eat. allthough this would only make a slight difference, I could definitly see on some days this could make a slight difference. I have seen a similar effect with white suckers, occasionaly we can get our hands on white suckers that only have crayfish as a food source. amazingly they pick up a reddish orange coloration(im not talking about redhorse now). these are dynamite bait

17. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Very interesting, now yall have given me a reason to try goldfish, nothing else seems to be workin. only thing is I dont know if they are legal in florida....any one from florida PM me if you know.

18. flattyfisher

flattyfisher New Member

goldfish work good here in va..next best thing to a brim here!