The catfish spawn in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by capt theory, May 24, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    well the areas i fish are hitting the 75 degree mark and are devoid of big cats for some reason. every year about this time i keep hammering away with useless results but this year im gonna be smart and hang up the gear for a couple of weeks and let them do their thing. has anyone else noticed a sever decline in activity or are your areas not around the 75 degree mark yet? if not it wont be long. if i had the cahunas to noodle now would be the time huh? i cant wait until their finished though because man the fishing just goes crazy once the spawns over.

2. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Went fishing sunday and monday water temp was around 74-78. caught 4 over 10 lbs 3 over 5lbs and 2 under 5lbs. Most had eggs that were still hard not ready to spawn yet. find some flooded flats fish shrubs and wait for a big blue to come cruising through. Good luck to you don't hang the stuff up just adapt your technique.

3. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Thank you for the info!I'm laid up at home recovering from hand surgery,I get the cast off tomarrow and was wondering if the spawn was on yet.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    It's weird that most other types of fishing the spawn is always good for fishing but not for catfising. June is probably the worst month in Oklahoma for Blue Cats period. The flatheads I still seem to catch but it's pretty rare for me to catch anything over five pounds during June for Blues. Now when I was on the upper Verdigris this past weekend there was still good current coming out of the dams in Kansas. The water temps in the main channel were still 67 degrees in the middle of the day. The creeks though were already up in the high 70's. I fished both the main channel and the creeks but with good flow still in the main channel and cold at that...we did real well in the much cooler, more current main channel. I know that the blues and catfish in general will look for the warmer temps to spawn and they may very well indeed be spawning in the creeks right now. I have learned that not all catfish even the same species will not all spawn at the same time. There usally some takers that are still in a prespawn mode or already in postspawn. The problem with many lakes around here is they all leave the main body of the lake to run upriver to spawn. Some of our lakes are so silted in in the upper reaches that the big boys can't be accessed by boat. I know that they catch plenty of blues up at Chetopa Ks this time of year from all the blues leaving Grand. The same this holds true for Keystone that lake turns off big time in June. I think the big one's can still be caught but locations and tactics need to change a little. I know that not all of the blues will spawn and the same time and there will be some more than willing to take a shad. I plan on fishing upper ends of rivers that I can access for my blue fishing for the whole month of June. Hopefully there will be some takers on the larger end of the scale.

5. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Well after hereing all this spawn talk I went down to the Arkansas for about an hour this afternoon-caught two channels on the mud flats-one was full of soft eggs-they weren't playn either when they took it they swallowed it.Nothing big-4/2lbs but not to bad for only sitting there an hour.I missed another,they were hungry-but so were the turtles.

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    anyone who knows me knows that when i declare im not fishing anymore im full of crap. i guarantee as soon as i have some free time ill get bored and go poke around somewhere. i have one spot thats just below some spawning habitat and its just a matter of waiting for the bigguns to finish up and drop back into the hole. like you said chris, they dont all spawn at the same time, so that always leaves some fish to be had. theres still some small ones running around my areas but im just not interested if its not over 30 pounds. but im kinda in jeffs boat, schedule and do the crap you have to take care of during the slump period so you can get to fishing during the post spawn. i scheduled a vacation thats gonna be a get r done vacation during this time. and good luck with the move there jeff, if theres anything i know its moving SUCKS! you just start to wonder where you got all that crap from.

7. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    went fishing last night and only caught 4 litlle ones around 3 pounds and all of the bellys where pretty soft and fat so I think it will be getting closer than we really think. OH that was at cheauto bend

8. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i caught a few blues last friday. one i believe had already spawned out and one had not. heres the funny thing, on tuesday i went to l&d 14 to get bait and i bet i got 50-100 blue fingerlings in my shad net. that seemed a little odd to me. what do ya'll think? oh yeah those things will not come out of a net very easily.:angry:

9. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man i accidently bought a nylon net instead of mono and darned if i didnt put that thing on top of a million baby blues. im surprised you didnt hear me down there i was cussing so loud. i ended up just cutting up the net to save some blues but even then it was about impossible. burn baby burn....

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Noodled the North Canadian for a couple of hours yeasterday. Came across two channels holed up. So indeed some channels are already spawning. I find fish holed from about now to early-mid July so not all channels or flatheads spawn at the same time. Blues im not as familiar with.

11. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I took my Mom out to Okemah lake on saturday and tore up the little Channels took home 18 1lb-2lbs Eater'sD-K punch bait.

12. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats funny you guys mention baby cats in cast nets. Freeing them is like preforming some type of microsurgery or something. Ive my share of problems with mono nets. Nylon I can only imagine.

13. mongoose76

mongoose76 New Member

State:
    Ok
    I have fished the Verdigris and havent done real well? I have even fished off highway 60 with small results. and you can go far North the River gets pretty shallow at the ripples right? I am wanting to go out and try the River again any advise. thanks.