The Carolina Catfish Club of South Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by pop pop, Sep 6, 2008.

1. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    The Carolina Catfish Club of South Carolina

I am excited to announce that there is a possible charter club of the CCC coming to SC. The CCC of North Carolina is one of the top, best clubs in the country. This would allow the club to grow and have a presence in SC. Their work towards preservation and conservation of NC Catfish is unprecedented as NC Wild Life Biologists now consult with them on catfish matters. Also, the CCC furnishes Ark. Blues to the biologists for their own studies during their club tournaments. In 2001-2002 the CCC assisted the University of VA is conducting the first ever study of Ark. Blues in the State of NC.

The CCC South Carolina would be a voice for all the SC Cat-fisheries and work towards preservation and conservation of catfish fisheries in the state. The club would work to educate local groups and individuals about catfish management and conservation. It will also discuss what’s going on politically in the fisheries’ world. This club would be a family oriented club and will have monthly meetings (except for December), once established, with guest speakers such as Biologists and area Catfishermen. Club membership fees will include your spouse and children under sixteen.

I contacted Mac Byrum (BOC Member Lake Norman Blues) of the Carolinas Catfish Club about this matter and he has been working hard all week to try to get this to happen. The club would hold its meetings in Greenwood County, SC, as it’s centrally located between Lakes Thurmond, Russell, Hartwell, Keowee, Murray, Greenwood, and Monticello, as well as the river systems associated with these lakes. This puts a branch of the CCC within reach of catfishermen in the geographical area.

After we get enough people that are interested in joining, Mac and a few other CCC members will come down and hold an organization meeting to set the foundation for a lifetime of success.

If this sounds like something you are interested in and would like to attend the organization meeting or to learn more about it, you can send me, or Patmansc, a PM and include your phone number. Thanks and I look forward to hearing form you!

Pop Pop

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I can't wait!

3. jerryrigg

jerryrigg New Member

State:
    travelers rest,s.c.
    sounds good i mite would attend that.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Very nice Pop Pop. I am sure some of the old guard will make a trip to Greenwood to attend a meeting or 2. It is a great idea!

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well you already know I'm in . I do have one question for ya, can I show up smelling like fish , LOL ?

Thanks for getting this off the ground guys. Let me know what I can help with. I appreciate your efforts...good luck.

-Jim-

6. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Pop, patman, I'm in. I am SO in! Expect PM shortly.....I'm gettin' the shakes, I'm so excited.:eek:oooh:

7. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I'm new to the site but would greatly support any efforts to protect our fisheries. I live in Sandy Run, SC so Greenwood is a drive. Keep me posted.

8. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Come on Jon!! It's like Doug said, it's a prestigious organization. Folks like WylieCat and LakeNormanBlues are involved with it, and to me, that says it all. From my time here, I've read the posts that these guys throw up, and they're all straight-shooters. No bull from them. I respect their opinions, personally.

While I'm on the subject, thanks to Mac and Dieter for wanting to involve SC, and thanks to pop pop and patman for heading this thing up down here. I know I'm excited. I'm still shaking......My buddy Greg's son puts it best. "I'm 'cited. I'm gonna 'splode!"

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and Dieter has talked about this for a long time now and I have just not had the time to pursue it.I'm glad you guys are making the step because I still dont have time to be fully committed (as far as making every meeting and what not) to it.

I have been informed that I will still be heavily involved wether I like it or not.:smile2:If thats the case then I'll have to make some suggestions.

As easy as it is for me, Pop Pop and other upstate fisherman to have a meeting in Greenwood every month, I just dont think that is fair or the right thing to do.I think the meetings should be alternated between Greenwood and Columbia.If theres a little better or closer meeting place than Columbia for the low country anglers then somebody chime in and let us know.

Fact is..... having a catfish club that stresses conservation and information to the public and most importantly the biologists without the Santee or low country fisherman envolved is gonna slow the process way down.Santee country depends on catfish to help the economy, which gets the foot in the door with the big dawgs, gov. and what not.That can help greatly in terms of spreading the importance of catfish thru-out the whole state.

Its gone be a slow process thats gone require patience because SC is just so far behind other states when it comes to things like this.It will eventually be worth it in the long run though.

10. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That would be Excellent!!!

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I completely agree with Chris! Making access available to as many as possible can only help us accomplish our goals. How about some of you guys downstate start looking for places where we can meet near/around Columbia? Someplace with good pie & coffee :wink:

12. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the post Chris. I’m glad you are a part of this. You have and can bring a lot to the table. Changing the meeting place may be something we have to address in the future. When discussing this with Mac he inform me as we talked about locations, that they learned you need to have your club meetings as close to the lakes that need the most help. We also discussed that DNR is keeping a close eye on Santee as a Cat fishery, with increased officer patrol and the recent 36 inch regulations, because they are focused on protecting the fishery and economic resources.
    So we decided on Greenwood for this location as the upstate lakes are overlooked in terms of being catfish fisheries as Bass and Stripers take top billing in DNR recognition and as cat fisheries they need the most help at this time.

13. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    This makes very good sense! Seeing as how the DNR is has already passed recent legislation for Santee Cooper and they're watching things closely, perhaps it is best that we initially focus on those lakes that could now benefit from DNR attention.

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    When I say Santee or Low Country, I'm not talking about just Marion and Moultrie.Yes they have regulations and the catfishery is getting attention.

Lakes are not the only bodies of water that have catfish in them.You have the Waccammaw, big and little Pee Dee,Black, Santee, Cooper, N. and S. Edisto, Ashly, Combahee, Savannah, Congeree and Wateree rivers.None of these get any attention.Not trying to argue, just making a point that theres alot of water below Columbia that needs attention too.Some of these rivers stretch above Columbia on the north and south sides.I know those people would love to help there bodies of water.

Maybe another branch of the club will be needed later on.Several branches actually, it would take alot of time though.There really is nowhere to have a meeting at just one location and be able to get the full affect of voices from around the state.Greenwood is close to Clark-Hill, Russell, of course Greenwood, Seccession and Fairly close to Hartwell, Murray and Monticello.Clark-Hill, Russell, Greenwood and Seccession are Non Game fishing country.Most people around here could care less about conservation on a catfish.I know that raises heads to say well that area needs help bad and it does.

The thing is the non-game fisherman out number the conservation minded fisherman by a long shot in this area.I'd say no more than 20% of the catfishing on these 4 lakes is done with a rod and reel and just because they are fishing with rod and reel dont mean they are selectively harvesting.The other 80% is noodling and jugging and a little bit of trotlining.

I'm just giving some thoughts on what can help it grow the fastest.Having a meeting in the WNW part of the state in Non-game country at that every month is gone be slow growth.Recruiting members is gonna take a little bit of moving around for a while.Build up the membership and then settle in one area.Maybe there would be enough members after a while to have branches in different areas.

Being a guide I get to talk to alot of people.Contrary to popular beleif, not every catfisherman in SC is a member of the BOC.I get to do my own little personal surveys and I'll tell you right now theres far more conservation minded folks in the semi-mid and mid state then there is in the upstate.I've had more people from Greenwood,Ware shoals, Abbeville, Anderson, Mccormick and Spartanburg either hang up on me or blow me off when I tell them I have restrictions on what can be kept and not kept at certain lakes then any other place.

Just my 2 cent worth.I'm not a business man or anyhting, just a damned ol catfisherman trying to get the wiskered specimen some respect.

15. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Just as a follow-up: for several months Pop Pop & I have been talking about what we might be able to do to help protect the fisheries in the lakes that we like to fish - Hartwell, Monty, Greenwood, Murray. We have been fortunate enough to meet many catfishermen around the upstate who also shared similar interests, hence our communications with the CCC. It is not our intent to exclude anyone, as we have also met and fished with many wonderful people from downstate, but we wanted to initially focus on the lakes around us. Right off the get-go, we certainly don't want to upset anyone, but I want to state our intentions clearly. Thanks for your understanding.

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I suppose I should go ahead and jump in with both feet. I grew up fishing lake Monticello a lot because I lived 5 miles from it. I currently live below Columbia in Sandy Run. I still fish there a lot, it's home. I spend most of my time on Marion and Murray. I would suggest having a meeting place in O'burg. It's half way between Columbia and the lower part of the state. The only braw back to having a meeting below Columbia is there are only two roads that give access to the Manning (NE) side of the lakes. It may be hard to draw that crowd this far. I like the idea of having several area groups under one headship. I think starting with one group is smartest rather than gettin' thin to quick. I would be willing to be proactive in the start up. I am a stay at home dad right now and have lots of time for just such a endeavor. I DON"T want to be used and abused in the process. I understand it would be a big coordination effort and everyone wants to be heard. I would do my best!

Let me know how I can help.

17. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks, Jon! We're hoping to make this a win-win situation for everyone.

18. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks Patman!

I want the best for all members and Miss Flattie, Mr. Blue and Channel jr.

19. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Jon, It would be cool if you could start up a CCC there!:big_smile: We could have an Up State and a Lower State. The CCC has been extremely helpful and our response here is great for a 3 day post with 8 committed and 7 more that will let me know by Mon. We are simply going to adopt the CCC Charter,rules, by-laws and membership forms. All we need is members.:big_smile:
    If this sounds interesting call me @ 864-992-1236

CCC everywhere and everybody wins:wink: Holy Moly!

20. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    PopPop,

I'm going to make it to Rocks Pond for the Gathering. I plan on being there Fri. around 5 or 6. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and we can chat about CCC. I plan on fishing over night fri. rain or moon! LOL! I will be around Sat. also. It is my 7th anniversary so I may need to leave before sat. night. I guess I'm blessed that I can come at all this weekend, I have a great wife! :smile2: