The Cape Fear and Being Safe

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Southernraised84, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Just want to say that if your out there at night on the cape fear be SAFE!!!!THat river has claimed many of lives,it is not something to be taken lightly.If your on a boat of on the bank make sure you think of saftey first.My father was a EMT for 7 years at sation 1 downtown fayettville and i have heard countless stories of him going to calls where someone had drowned out there.If you are on a boat make sure you have life jackets, cell phone, paddles,and if your out there in the middle of the day bring plenty of water as hot as it is around here this time of year your gonna need it.And dont forget the bugspray its a must.If your out there fishing from the bank make sure you think of saftey as well, alot of people think they are alright becuase there not on the water if doesnt take much to slip in and get swept away espically when the river is riseing and the current is stronger(this mainly goes for the younger ones)if you do happen to fall in the main thing to remember is DO NOT PANIC, just relax let the river take you till you can get to a spot where you can get out.Countless people die each year from panicing after falling in.Im sure i left out some stuff so if anyone wants to give more tips be my guest i think its so important and isent tanken serious enuff, people get out there and get to drinking and haveing a good time and forget how deadly that river can be. If you do not respect it it wont respect you.

2. hhefner

hhefner New Member

State:
    Spring Lake
    Last night I was out and as I was packing up I slipped and all most fell in. I was under the new bridge downtown Fay. The worse part was as I was crusing about hitting my arm on the side of my jon boat, I noticed the biggest water snake Ive seen! O.K....... It was only about 1.5 ft long, but had I fell in we were going to meet head first..... So be safe, it only takes a sec.
    hef.

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    tristan great post! We all tend to get comfortable with the water at times.
    I went thru many schools in the military and am/was a very strong swimmer.
    This doesn't make over confident though. If that boat is moving,I got a jacket on,period.
    Tristan I give you a big thumbs up on this one!

4. hhefner

hhefner New Member

State:
    Spring Lake
    I work Law Enforcement the area, and on Monday night 09-12-05 it brought to my attention by Fayetteville City P.D. of an assault that accured near Riverside. The victim stated he was bank fishing and was approched by 3 males, he stated that they attempted to jump him. during the assault he was cut in the arm. he stated that he cut himself, but was unable to give a discription of the suspects. I have noticed lately while bank and boat fishing the homeless and trouble makers are targeting the fisherman and their vehicles. Keep your head up out there. When I work I make several attempts thoughout the night to drive thru the parking lot and light up the area and get out with with the foot traffic.

NOTE!!!! If you need help dial *1500 on your cell phone its the Sheriffs Office, but they will transfer you to FPD.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well if they ever did it to me they would be looking at the barrel of my .45

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Darn good information there Hhefner.
    I work all over Fayetteville and points beyond, around , under, and over.
    Maybe we'll meet up some day down there.

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Great post Hef! Good to see we have another brother in law enforcement here.
    (several former and current ones here too)
    When ever I fish at night I always carry.
    Theres just too many who would rather steal than pull a honest days work.
    Thanks again for going the extra mile and wacthing out for the brothers and sisters who use Riverside.
    If you ever see a 98 red ford extended cab w/ BOC logo on the tailgate, it's me. stop and give a hollar,
    Thanks, Keith

8. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Hey Keith, haven't heard anything out of you in a while. Where can I get a BOC decal?

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    hey Kitty, just check the BOC store bro. Or you can PM "sister catfish" (Betty L.) and see if she can help ya out.
    I love having mine and have had quite a few ask about it.

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Tristan,

Great post. Thanks for caring about everyone. :rock-big:

11. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    hey hef are you a sheriff in cumberland county? If so you might know my dad he is a cop as well his name is Adam Brinkley, i am looking to get into law enforcement myself, i was thinking along the lines of a game warden still debateing that one o and if you go threw riverside and see a blue 2005 ford ranger with the BOC decal on the back window thats me as keith said stop and give me a holler

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    with the upcoming gathering, just wanted to highlight this thread again to keep it fresh in peoples minds before we head to the river.Good luck everyone and be safe.