The Campfire

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by UpNorth Dude, Dec 7, 2009.

1. UpNorth Dude

UpNorth Dude New Member

State:
    Mn.
    I have been around here for a short time and couldn't figure a good place to put this ..so why not on The Bank..where fires happen.

A thread devoted to stories..tall tales...urban legends and or out right lies.
    Maybe something along the lines of a 300 lb talking catfish that you met while sitting around the fire drinking pop?

I'll start with something a little more sedate...and harmless.
    Remember it's 12 above and my ground is white.
    Story time.

I was around 12 years old and my Dad and his friends rented property in the Mts. east of San Diego for hunting and fishing.
    The weekends included ...hunting,fishing and since it was early 60's a lot of drinking..way more than today.Drinking and campfires go way back...

We always had a roaring campfire and the fun started before dark and went well into the early morning. This particular weekend had around 20 families..with all us kids driving the parents nuts. The older teens were in charge and we we had to mind them..so a a snipe hunt was organised.

The stupid joke played on un unsuspecting kids where you run around with a flashlite and sack yelling . ."here snipe..here snipe ..." so the parents could keep track of you and get you GONE.

Being 12 ..I already had been Snipe hunting...and decided to turn the tables a bit..
    As I ran around the stock pond yelling ..I caught a bull frog and placed it in my sack we had to carry. Then I went where my Dad and I had skinned some rabbits he killed and put some fur into the sack...I could have stopped there ..but I included some guts ...hey..its gotta feel real...to be real...:big_smile:

I went running back to the fire proudly announcing I had caught one of the
    Snipes..holding my bag high for all the kids...teens and drunk parents to see..The frog kicks ..with a gentile squeeze and the shape with my flashlite shining upon the bag..makes it seem a bit.....snipeish?

They demand I empty the bag.. I say No...snipe are timid ...shy creatures... have they ever seen one ? Much less catch one ?

But I can let you pet him..and I'll start with the brave guys... One guy reaches inside a brings up some entrails..I say you hurt the dang snipe...be careful.

A hot 16 year ol babe reaches inside ..and I say careful...just pet him nice...and she likes the soft fur..( keep your mind outa the gutter.. ) until the dang frog kicks again..

She screams and I make a big deal..saying the snipe is PISSED...and I run into the darkness and release the My snipe.

Of course the parents who can walk wanna know what it was...so I rip the 'ol bag open and to show guts and fur...and some blood from the poor snipe.
    I didn't tell the older guy and get my butt kicked...and I did seem like a cool Kid to the girl..

This innocent story was real and my dad passed it down to my children's children before he died. He was from NW Arkansas..where many tall tales are born.

The story of Bill's snipe hunt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks Bill for the story an also welcome to the BOC!

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats a pretty good one and this is a good thread..... welcome to the BOC btw

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hehe, great story Bill....Welcome to the BoC.

-Jim-

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC "Texan".... From another "Southern Boy" I'm from the South as well..... Southern California..... at the beach, and it is 36 degrees here this am.....

7. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    great story, and welcome to the BOC!!:big_smile:

8. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    Welcome to the BOC! awesome story as well

9. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Welcome to the BOC. Great story.

10. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome ot the Great BOC Bill!!!

11. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice story! We did a similar stunt with a bunch of cub Scouts on a camping trip. While most of the boys were out hunting snipes, we put a couple cornish hens on a spit to roast over the fire. When they came back and saw the "snipes that Bobby caught" roasting on the fire, their energy and enthusiasum for snipe hunting was renewed for at least another hour.

12. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    great story... and although i know nothing of snipes i know a little about campfires on the river....

so here it goes....
    growin up fishin on the river in new mexico we see our fair share of coyote's and most the time they dont get close enough to bother... well it was about 2 or 3 in the morinin and i was fishin with a buddy of mine when nature called.. so i got up and did my business and when i go to turn back to camp (about 10 or 15 yards away) i see 5 coyotes *wat i thought was 15 at first :embarassed:* haha 1 was pacin round my friends chair (of course he was passed out) 2 were starin at me and the other 2 were messin with my gill's that took me all dang day to catch:angry:....
    so ill pull my buck knife off my hip and start hollerin like a brain dead ape flappin and wavin around.... and then my buddy wakes up, i can honestly say i would trade my truck to see the look on his face again!:smile2: and the coyotes are gone....

haha long story short... FAN THE FIRE!
    haha good times

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats awesome... i would trade my truck to see it myself...

14. UpNorth Dude

UpNorth Dude New Member

State:
    Mn.
    Some good stories and some yet to be told..

Here's another from my strange world of fishing.

Quite a few years ago my wife and I went with a buddy and his girl friend up to Leech lake to fish walleyes..and we actually caught a nice bunch.

After cleaning them and bagging them in a cooler we sat around the campfire..as usual..until around midnight.Well we had a pickup and overhead camper and my friend was tenting sharing our campsite.The campground had some nice all night lights that showed enough light to see without disturbing the camping.
    About a 1/2 hour after turning in..my wife wakes me and says theres a bear on our picnic table ...in our cooler.
    kinda pissed off that my buddy left our fish there I opened the door and threw a 1/2 can of pop onto his tent waking them up..
    I yelled to him ( sort of ) that he should go wrestle the fish away from the bear.Well my buddy sticks his head out the tent and yells "go away bear"..and the bear just sits there...eating Tortilla chips...one at a time ...not touching the fish..kinda cute..

But his girl friend is now awake..( and the story gets good here..) and she wants out..

Now..

My buddy tells her that the bear is only 15 feet away and she is safer in the tent..then he tells her she is down wind and safe..with her being at that special time of month..and that bears really like that smell..

A horrible scream that a banshee would be proud of explodes from the tent ...and a 1/2 dressed redhead comes out..bear or no bare ..she was leaving.
    My buddy is laughing...she is screaming..and the bear says enough and leaves with the chips.

She scrambles into our camper...I say I don't want no bear in here..to which pisses off the 2 women even more...My friend rescues the fish..says "mission accomplished" and good night.

A true and funny story we remember at campfires.

Come on and share..

15. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    a buddy of mine and I went frogging one night while we were camping. The girlfriends (who both became our wives now that I think about it) wanted to go along. we caught about 16-18 really big bull frogs and had them tied in a burlap sack. When we got back to camp the girls had to have one last look at all them big frogs. I had to go a couple of hours later and discovered that they "forgot" to retie the sack by almost stepping on one and all the other frogs had "escaped". I managed to recatch about 6 of them but the rest serenaded us ALL night with their best bass notes...:sad2:

16. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    women?!?!?!?!:eek:oooh::confused2::angry:

17. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    another frogging story:
    My other buddy and I went frogging one night and he told me he had heard the biggest frog croak ever a few nights before but it was in a small grassy pond over a levee from the bayou he was fishing in. he couldn't pull his boat over by himself so he wanted us both to try. when we got there I killed the little out board and in a minute or so I hear this really loud GRR-ROUNK!! I was like no way, it had to be some kind of natural sound amplification of something, this thing was incredibly loud! well we got the boat over the levee and left the motor on the bank. we started paddling around and all we saw was this small alligator on the pond. we finally got tired of waiting and decided to get a better look at the gator. when we got close we saw it wasn't a gator but the biggest frog we had ever seen! this thing was laying in the water and his belly looked as big around as a frying pan, his eyes were about two inches apart and his back legs were bigger around than a roosters! my buddy tried to grab it about 5 times as we chased it around that pond but his hand wasn't big enough to grab it across the back. he finally got so frustrated he took his paddle and hit the frog across the back with it. The paddle blade split in two and the frog just swam off. we finally gave up when he went down and didn't come back up. I heard that someone shot it (illegal) a few months later and couldn't ever find it. Dang shame I really would have liked to have seen that monster again.

18. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Now that's a story. Welcome ot the BOC.