The Califofnia Aqueduct Catfish bite

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by catfish slick, Nov 11, 2006.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey guys, Has every one gone in to Hibernation for the winter, I Just letting you know that the Catfish bite has not picked up at the Aqueduct down hear in my area, But they have slowed the water flow down a bit so it doesn't take a pound of wait to keep on the bottom. But I am still not getting any bites, I am beginning to thank that Vini and Robb, Have caught them all out of hear. I have tried every Rig set up you could imagine and fish deep and shallow, and used every bait I could get my hands on. and not even a shaker. But I can't wait till Monday morning to get back out their and give her a go again,because their is nothing like setting on river bank, starring at the end of your pole, with the sun in your eyes and freezing your butt off and not getting a bite, Oh how I love it, I think I will just get some fish out of the freezer and have a fish fry to day,:smile2: that makes it all worth while.

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    We haven't fished the aquaduct in awhile, we did ok there a few times , the first time I lost 2 fish a large cat and a huge striper Robb saw it I never did I was fioghting the fish while he was over the side of the bridge with the net and the flash light.

Biggest sinker we've used were 3 oz but in the evening that water gets going pretty good I think they open some gates up then nothing will hold it down.

Have you tried around the little dams for stripers? use a rebel lure .

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good morning vince
    That's to bad you lost those two big fish, I have lost several fish in their my self. It,s hard to net a fish out of their with that sloping steep bank. And most especially if you are by your self, and that is the way I usually have to fish at night. I have left two are three flash lights at the bottom of the Aqueduct. that is quite site watching them slide right down that cement bank till the light go's out of site, after about the third one, That's when I invested in a head light, then other day I happened to drop one of my pole holders on the edge and it bounced once and hit that slope and I stood their and watched it slide out of site. well we got a few sprinkles of rain last night maybe that will start them to biting. and to the stripers, That is when catch and release comes in for me. I try my best not to catch stripers, but when I do they go back in the water. I just don't like the taste of stripers. Vini, you have a good day and catch lot's of fish.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I thought I was gonna see vini fall into the duct one night when he was trying to get his big cat he caught. Man that water can move. Hey Phillip, you ever fish success lake or isabela?

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Rob.
    I use to fish Isabella and kern river for Catfish a lot years ago, But it's been a few years. I had my trailer up their and camped a few days, hear a while back. and never made it down to the Lake, I fished the river a couple of times for trout as they were stocking while we were their. I don't know if you have ever drove up that canyon , but is is narrow and winding. I thought My wife was going to have a heart attack on the way down out of that canyon, and I don't think I could get her back up their. She loves to fish, but she is a flat lander. LoL Hey , if the fish don't start biting down hear I may have to come up and fish with you and Vini. When is the fall bite suppose to start, I am loosing patience.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Phillip,
    I been waiting patiently here too. I will have to say that I have not hit my lil honey holes there in the wildlife refuge. I been fishing another area of the river called James Rd. The river will start dropping weekend of turkey day. It will take a week to fully drop to the required level so the dam down the river can be repaired and a few levees mantained. From now till Dec the bite gets hot. The wildlife refuge is a nice place to fish, camp, hunt and launch a boat. It is all free and actually pretty clean. No grass around, but trees and did I mention an open fire? Yopu and your wife are more than welcome to come on down. I live bout 30 min from there so you come to my house and follow me or what ever. I look forward to wetting a line with ya'll:smile2:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    regarding stripers and the taste.... fillet the fish, and get rid of the dark red meat line (blood) at the lateral line and that will help.... maybe soaking in milk if that doesent do it... stripers aare good eating
    bayrunner ray

8. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey thanks Rob,
    That sounds like a nice place to come .I already have plans for Thanksgiving But I may take you up on that after that. My wife gets every other friday off that gives her three days off, and that would be a great three day trip. In the mean time keep us in formed on fishing situation.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I sure will phillip. My wife gets Fridays off too. :confused2: I will take a sick or vacation day when you and your wife come down. Around the fist of December is when the Mendota Slough wil have dropped. anytime near or after that time will be hot bite action:wink:

10. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I'm originally from the bay are, grew up in the Delta. When the bite went cold we switched to clams. Yea I know there small but you can go to the sloughs where the waters not moving as fast and get your own and alot bigger than what you get at a bait shop. And that cat on my profile, caught on clams. Good luck.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    great tip bro. I know the slough I fish, when it drops, you can dig up buckets of some very nice size clams. They do work (especially the fresh large ones).:wink:

12. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Rob, yesterday I was fishing the aqueduct fishing with that bottom, slip bobber set up and using fresh liver, and fishing about ten foot of bottom. I was setting their not paying attention and talking on my cell phone, and I just happened to look over at my pole and it was headed for the water,That sucker puled my pole holder out of the ground and was on his way up stream,By the time I got over to it he had spit it out and was gone. so I re-baited and put back out their and about fifteen minutes He hit it again, and I landed a nice ten pounder. So I would say, that our California Catfish just do not like that Garlic and salt cured, Chicken liver, as well as they do the fresh. by the way the aqueduct was compleetly dead yesterday, the water was not moving at all, something you don't see to often.

13. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Got one huh slick right on man.

Yeah when they keep the gates open that water is really moving doesn't look like it is but it darn well is.

might give your slip bobber a try next time thanks Slick

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    It nice to have a place close like the aqueduct to fish in.... Usually for me its when I'm on the road going somewhere else to fish and I stop and pull over (if you can) and check it out for a while and plan to come back later and spend some time. As you sit there looking at the road map in the sky, looking and listening, waiting and thinking..... who's in this car comming, am I in his or her spot, is it ok to close my eves.... gets this way on the road by yourself fishing and "looking" for new fishing spots, as your going to that special other place that you feel real comfortable at. Reminds me of a colorado river fishing weekend where I was kind of dosen, listening for that click, click (like in Jaws), and in the total darkness, just me and the stars, a few nite critters,..... that this chopper jocky from the air national guard or some other "freedom Fighter of our nation" was 2-3 feet off the water with no lights on or anything..... of course he had full radar and all of the other stuff on I'm sure..... really woke me up .... time to put on new bait....

Ps. when its cold out, I use an ensolite pad under the tush to ward off the cold .... learned this when doing winter sno camping...or riding up the chair lift in the early skiing morning.

"thank god for the food savers and the fish they keep for us".

bayrunner ray

15. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Ray, If that chopper did that to me, My bate most likely wouldn't be the only thing I would need to change, I would probably need too change my pants. I know the feeling of fishing along at night by your self,as I fish not to far from from the state prison, and what makes me feel a little more comfortable, is I take Mr. Ruger, along with me when I am fishing at night, and you would be surprised how much better you feel knowing that he is with you. Ray what part of the world do you reside in, I am from Taft and you are always welcome to fish with me when in the area.

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Love the story.:smile2: Post is 5 stars brother Ray.:wink: What exactly is esolite? and where do you get it?:smile2: