The Bullhead Catfish Bite

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by jolie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    The bullhead is the first herald of spring and I always seem to stumble into bullheads a few weeks before I can find any channels.

In this case, the bullhead bite was ON, (a little inconsistantly), at Celeron, On Chautaqua Lake. It was making up for the fact that calico fishing was poor after a good warm spell through the east.

My brother in law, soon concentrated on them last night.. catching 7 and missing many more. I had only one pole in the water for BH and caught about 3-4. My first BH was the biggest about 13".

which granted for a brown bullhead was no hog.

but I don't know, there's something about bullheads that a pudgy and meaty for their size. in the mid teens there start looking obese; with them meaty shoulders and bustin' gut.:cool2:

If indeed anyone in BOC land, in NY or out of NY is catching BH's, drop a post.

Of course tons of catters keep them for bait...but in NY and other places in the Northeast; there's not the whopin bullhead eating chest refridgerator sized catties. and some of us; have found that bullheads is premium fish; some of the tastiest catfish there is... (even if they don't send you to the chiropracter once you lift one out of the water):cool2:

2. twisted

twisted New Member

i caugh the 1st channel cat of 2009 last night. it was only about 1lb but a nice fish none the less. caught another that was half the size and several BH. ive been noticing the BH have been very skinny this year. length is good just no meat.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well done. Welcome to the BOC and pull up a chair and stay awhile. Congrats for the catch. What area do you fish at? Feel free to post pictures, asks questions and chat.

I've noticed in the past that River BH seem substancially skinnier. The effect of a long life of constant current I guess. Other things that could affect them is competition from other panfish. Kind of a bummer if you're looking for fish fries.

Any rate, there's not really a forum for introductions, per se. so the best way to get to know people (and for them to know you) is to talk about yourself. In other busier states; they are frequent 'Roll calls' and the like but NY is a little quieter than most other parts of the country.

4. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks for the welcome. i fish all over central ny and stick mainly to the Seneca river and Cayuga lake. ive pulled some big BH out of the Seneca last year.

the channels seem to range between 1 lb and 5 lbs with the occasional larger fish. ive caught one channel that was 7lbs. thats the largest to date for myself.

last year we caught a couple of cats with a odd looking head. not sure if its from spwaning or another species.

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah here in ohio the bullheads have been out for quite some time...We have been channel cattin for months with only a few here and there and about a month ago geesh these bullheads came alive...so many yellow bellys that the channels dont have a chance to bite...i switched lakes....lol too big for flathead bait even :angry:

6. twisted

twisted New Member

went last night. very slow night. started off with a 1lb in a 1/2 channel and then a couple of small BH's. tried alot of different baits to.
    dip bait- 0 bites
    cut bait- couple of nibbles
    worm- channel cat 1lb 1/2 (also caught the cut bait on worm)
    shrimp- couple of bullheads.

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Bullheads dont get too big for flathead bait,a 20 pounder could swallow the world record bullhead.At the same time I normally dont use them over a foot long.

8. twisted

twisted New Member

no flatheads here in ny. :sad2:

9. eastcoasttoggin

eastcoasttoggin New Member

State:
    New York
    yeah the bullheads are here in full force on long island NY too bad theres no bigger kittys around to make use of these things have any of you other guys seen bullheads that have been covered in tumors and had big red sores all over their mouths? One lake i fish every single bullhead is messed up