The boat im gonna be getting

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I'm gonna be getting a job over the summer this year and buying a jon boat in the price range of 500 to 1500 and i am looking for some info. I plan to mainly fish in the feeder creeks. I was wondering which is better for rivers and streams v or flat bottom and and also how much do the lights for night fishing run you thanks in advance.

2. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I would go with a V bottom. For fishing at night I can get around just fine with a high powered mag light. Keep a headlight for you head when fishing and a citronella candle lit for the bugs.

3. Good luck!:big_smile:

4. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What I have found with flat bottoms is they aren't as particular with debris / shallow spots and are alot more steady when standing. I now have a V bottom - you really don't have any of that with them. The only real plus with a v bottom , in my opinion is the cruising speed. Due to the shape of the hull - they do pick up speed and cruise alot better. But ya gotta look at it like this -ANYTHING to get ya out there....no matter what type of boat ya go with...other than that - ENJOY!!! I remember bank fishing - and yea the boat is the way to go....Have a great time whichever one ya choose!!:0a23:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good luck Ryan an keep us informed.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have an 18 foot flat that is 6 foot wide and love it . If you deside you are going with a v bottom I also have a 14 footer with trailer I would sell for 400.00

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    How deep are the feeder creeks you plan on fishing?? If you have much water in the 1' depth range you will want the flat bottom. They run in much shallower water than the v or semi-v.

8. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i have had both v hull jons and flat jons. i like the flat bottom a little better just because i can get through really shallow spots easier. either one works great the v hulls have a smoother ride though but if your fishing rivers and creeks i think flat bottom will work the best since it will have the shallowest draft. what ever one you pick make sure you get the widest you can find. if you get a flat bottom a 36 inch bottom is the absolute smallest i would get but a 44 inch or widder width it the best i have a 1648 g3 and i take it in both rivers and larger lakes and works great

9. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've done a lot of bank fishing and boat fishing; you'll love the benefit of increased water to fish that a boat provides. I've fished in everything from 6' plastic boats up to big fiberglass bass boats and I would agree that a flatbottom boat is the way to go. My recommendation is this: Work hard, save your money, get your boat, go fishing, and set back to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

10. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First, for fishing real skinny water, I think a flat bottom like a jon is the best way to go. I run a shallow V myself, it with a small outboard it goes just about anywhere. For drawing the least water, your probably looking at jon being best, then modified V, then shallow V... only downside to flat bottom, is they're not as good in rough open water. If you don't need to cover a lot of water, a wide canoe is another option you could use to get into really tight places. Smaller motor also helps you run shallower - less weight.

$500 to $1500 is quite a range, for $500 you're probably looking at a boat, maybe with a trailer. For $1500, shop around, and I think you can easily find a rig with a trailer, outboard, electronics, and maybe even a trolling motor. My complete rig was under $1000 sever years ago, and still going strong.

You didn't say what part of Illinois you were in, but the strategy I would recommend is getting your money all lined up, and then shopping. Once you find a rig you're interested in, you'll be ready to make a deal. Also, make sure you have a tow vehicle ready, along with the right size hitch. A lot of the newspapers have classified ads online, like Bloomington pantagraph. And marine shops, Craig'sList, outdoor discussion boards.. When I found my boat, I was pretty certain from the ad and talking to the guy it had everything I needed. We made the drive to pick-up (a couple hours), checked it out and made the deal.

Few other thoughts:

- If you get a boat without a title, I think you can apply for one, but probably easier to transfer an existing one.

- Trailer also needs a title.

- I'd be most concerned with how seaworthy the boat is, what condition it's in, and what carrying and motor capacity it has. I'd definitely stick with aluminum.

- If you stick with an established reputable manufacturer like Lowe, Alumacraft, Polar Kraft, Smoker Craft, Starcraft, Lund, etc.

I run around in a '61 Smoker Craft. It may be old, but doesn't leak, and very solid. It's 14'/48", and easily propelled by a 10 hp (and oar power if necessary).

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  11. little_fiddler

little_fiddler New Member

State:
    Otter Creek, Iowa
    I agree with the other posts that a true flat is more stable for moving around or standing in, but the modified v or v tend to run smoother in rough water. Bottom line, it depends on where you fish the most. If it's for mostly small rivers and creeks the flat will likely work best. If it's for bigger water or rough water, or if you want to run significant distances a v or or modified v will probable be better in the long run.

I have used a 16ft semi-v jon boat with a 25 merc in the Mississppi but found that in heavy wind and chop, going any distance was out of my comfort range. In light wind with minimal to light chop, no problem

12. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I have to agree with most of the replies on this post and recommend a flat bottom for your first boat. If you get a boat with a big motor, a v may be better.