The bluegill experiment for catching flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 25, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    As you all know bluegill are one of the best baits when fishing for flatheads. What I would like to do is keep track of how many are caught when scaling vs. not scaling the bluegill. Anyone who would like to participate would be more than welcome. I personally scale all of my bluegill so my part of the experiment would obviously provide information for that side of the test. Any one who catches a flatheads should post whether or not the bait was scaled at that time. I would like to see how effective scaling the bluegill actually is. Thanks in advance to any who will participate in this !!

2. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Great!! I hope I can get a few more people involved in this little experiment. It will be interesting to see how each compares.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have never scaled my gills, are you doing it to release more sent? in the last two years me and cuz caught around 300 flathead on unscaled,if that counts for anything. what i have noticed is that you dont need trophy gills for bait. the runts work just as good or better at times,and you can transport a lot more of them.

4. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    I agree. Small bluegill are every bit as good, if not better than large ones. My biggest came off of a bluegill about 2.5". And yes they release a stress phermone when you scale them, as if they have been attacked etc.,. Such is the rumor anyway. That is why I would like to do this experiment, to see if there is any truth to it.

5. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Sounds like an interesting study. But if you want an accurate control group, the scaled AND unscaled bluegill groups need to be fished in the same water, at the same time, using the same techniques. Let us know how it turns out!

6. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    btw, this study sounds like it would be a helluva lot more fun than my university's biology lab assignments! :)

7. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Another good tactic is when you trim the tail a bit. When fishing @ night that send's off more vibration from the fish. I a good move to draw more fish in.

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I haven't caught that many flatheads, but I try to keep my baits as lively as possible in good health. I'm using green sunfish, or bluegill and crappie (whatever sunfish i'm catching at my bait spots.)

The sunfish do seem more active, and boy are they tough! (bullheads are probably tougher, I don't use them but know those who swear by them.)

shawn

9. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Can't say I have ever scaled any of my bait. But river scum I think that # might be alittle low. Havent found a reason to make me scale my bait yet.:p

10. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Jamey, you are probably right about that. We can have everyone keep there own stats on here of what happens on there water, and then average the total of all to get a pretty fair idea of whether or not scaling has any effect. As many have stated, they can definitely be caught either way, I myself have caught them both ways. But the point of this is to see if we can increase our catch, size and number, so keep track of the size of fish caught, what type of gill caught on(scaled, unscaled) , the number of fish caught with vs. without. I will keep everyone informed..................................................when I can finally fish again !!