The blue catfish are hitting hard!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dougc, May 22, 2006.

1. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    First read the "Attention" post. Got on the Missouri about 9 Sunday morning. Headed to a spot I had seen and wanted to fish. Got anchored in position and within fifteen minutes, had a fish on. First fish was only 1 1/2 lb. flathead. Well at least it's the right species of fish. Not fifteen minutes later one rod is buried in the holder. Fight it and bring it to boat, 11.3 Blue. So now things are looking good. The bite slows down and we moved back closer to the cover. About 30 minutes and I've got a big fish on. Has my MH Big Cat rod doubled over and peeling drag. Somehow the fish comes off and I even got my bait back! Can't explain that one. Make another move in the hole. Pretty soon another rod is bent over. Bring it to the boat, 10.2 lb. Blue. Make another move to a nice looking set of holes in the main channel but don't have enough weight to hold the bait. By now it's getting pretty hot, so we decided to call it a day. But over all a pretty fun day!

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Sounds like you had a great time. You forgot to include the GPS co-ordinates of that hole though. Rule #7 paragraph 4 of the catfishermans code "when posting about a great day catfishing GPS co-ordinates must be included or suitable directions to said hole must come forthwith" . Now since I caught this obvious accidental omission on your part you only have to tell me! :haha: See ya on the water!

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Oops, I don't have GPS. How about when you get to town, let me know and we will go fishing. Better yet, I think I would like to fish LOZ with you from all the posts about the fish you catch down there! Sounds like you have a thing going on.

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Doug if your ever down this way give me a shout and I'll see what I can do. I've been a little bit busy this month with my wife opening a new business but after next weekend I'm hoping to hit the road and do some cattin. See ya on the water!

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Went back again this morning(after going to Lake Jacomo and putting up with 50 boats!), went to the same spot and proceeded to catch fish immediately! First fish in the boat was a 9.7 lb Channel cat, my biggest Missouri River Channel. After that they got smaller, including another 1 1/2 lb Flathead. Bad weather blew in shortly after, and I had to call it a day. Blue cat spawn must be surely in full swing with the water temp in the high 70's.

6. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    We were on the MO on the other side of state on Saturday and they were surely biting, but they were all dinks. We caught nearly 30 channels and blues, with the biggest about 2 lbs. I'm talking tiny cats, some smaller than I've even seen before (4-6"). They were hitting quick and hard, but we couldn't find any larger fish. We were using nightcrawlers and cut goldeye. The little guys were mostly hitting the worms, b/c the other baits were too big. Might be that they are spawning and the big fish are tied up with that business.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Tried for the evening bite on the Missouri yesterday. Wasn't set up for 20 minutes when Randolph dredge decided it was time to start moving sand. Couldn't fish any spot for long before we would have a chinese fire drill to get all the lines and anchors up. Over all three times we had to move. Then on the way back to the ramp, we're moving along at a pretty good clip and had a barge coming upriver with no lights on. All of a sudden their spotlights are on us! Every time they went by loaded we would have to wait 10-15 minutes for the Titanic size waves to subside. One dinker Channel Cat was all we had to show. Slow fishing, but a lot of boat moving action!

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nobody wanted to fish Sunday, so I went to the Missouri River anyway. Of course I had to wait for the rain to stop(typical weekend), but was at the hole by the time it cleared up(10a.m.). Had 10-12 bites for the first hour, but could not hook up with a fish. Finally had a solid take down of the rod, and I boated a 12lb. blue. About 20 minutes later I boated a 8.4lb. blue. Then the Channel Cats took over. Boated 8 Channel Cats(1 1/2-3lbs.) in the next 2 hours. Same spot, 15-20 feet deep, heavy current, just off the main channel. Amazing what a 12lb catfish feels like in the heavy current!

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    sounds like a great time! And some good eating.

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Went again last night and I now realize I'm not going to be able to fish my spot during the week. They're dredging sand and running the barge back and forth every 20 minutes, making it impossible to set up. Tried some spots just downstream from the dredge, and then they decided to move the dredge to where we were fishing! Had to move to a different spot. Oh well, I'll save my spot for the weekend. Fished for three hours and no fish to show. Didn't have a very good selection of bait anyway(frozen shad). Will have to go net some more fresh shad on Saturday.

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Dang it, I put up a picture and wanted to see myself!

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Doug I'm sorry I missed ya when you were down. My wifes opening a Restaurant wasn't supposed to involve me but I've had to gopher almost daily. I hope we get a chance to go again sometime. I think the cats are spawning so catching them consistantly is tough right now. It should improve in July. I almost loaded up to fish that tourney in Columbia this weekend but I promised my youngest I'd spend some time with him. See ya on the water!

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Ron, I didn't even make it down. When I thought about the cost of gas(60-70bucks) for a one day trip, I decided to stay in town. It was the right decision though, because my buddy didn't catch a thing and I caught ten from my Missouri River spot. I think every time I can get out the fishing should get continually better with the spawn winding down. Head up here for a Sunday morning trip. Would be happy to put you in my boat!

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Went Sunday, after the rain quit of course. Headed upstream(right behind a barge loaded with sand), decided to give him a little time to get ahead, so I tried another couple of spots. First spot(wing dam scour hole), big fish on the bottom, got setup and had a bite within ten minutes. Got my bait, so I rebaited and didn't have another bite. Went to my spot that's been producing, and all I caught was a 7lb drum. Tried a few other spots with no luck. Mostly played musical fishing holes with the barges. Saw more boats than usual on the river this weekend, somebody's got to be catching something! Everybody I talked to said no luck.

15. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Sounds like you had fun! Awesome, keep it up. Nice to hear from another die-hard fisherman on the Missouri. Lot of logs last night water was coming up quick. (St. Charles area)

What did you get your blues on? I've been catching them on cut carp.

16. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Bill, I'm getting to the point that I'd rather fish on the Missouri than anywhere else. Up to a couple years ago all I fished were local lakes. The river has a mystique to it that keeps calling me back. So far this year, all of my bait has been netted the day before I go out from the local lakes. Have been using shad and have caught a few small grass carp. I keep my bait in a small cooler inside of my 70qt marine cooler. I know everybody says to use bait from the waters you're fishing, but I've been lucky and have caught a few with what I'm using. Will probably continue in my ways, unless I don't get my 30lb Blue this year!

17. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Doug,
    Have you been using live shad or dead? I have used a few gold fish this year but they're expensive and don't work as well as shad or gills on the river.

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Cut shad. Been fishing pretty heavy current, don't know how live bait might work.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've had some limited success this past week on live Threadfin Shads with the Blues. All schooling size between 10 and 15 pounds. I think the spawn still has the big fish pretty goofed up, at least on my part of the river. The big ones usually start wacking the big cut baits around the first part of July as they gorge themselves after the spawn.. At least I hope so anyway. :cool2:

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I know I can't wait. Called the sand company and they said the dredge was running 24/7 until it breaks down. Guess I'm looking for some new spots!