The Blue Catfish Are Coming Off The Nest!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by blackhorse83, Jun 25, 2006.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    A buddy and I went out last night and caught 18 blue cat from 2 to 10 lbs. We quit about 11:00 and started again about 5:30 this morning and caught another 15. We kept 17 all under 5# and the buddy hooked a 55# spoonbill, 35 min. and 4 tangled lines it was in the boat 10# test on a light bass rod. I don't think the reel will see any more use but it was the most amazing thing I ever seen! Poor old Bob was worn slick. He snagged it on the back of the bill and wrapped it around the bill twice and hung it back on the hook. Back in the water it went and a memeory that I will remember for a very long time.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like yall had a good night of fishing btu could anyone tell me what a spoon bill is I have never heard that before.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    A spoonbill is a prehisroric cat species that is mostly caught by snagging, there is a special season in the spring to do this. They can get very large. They have no back bone just cartledge down there back when pulled out is the size of a ball bat on the large fish.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    awesome fishin' trip and awesome numbers. Congrats!

-Red

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the catches, looks like i might do some good when i go blue fishing this weekend at the lake of the ozarks. A spoonbill is what you see in my picture on the bottom left.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds like you filled the boat. I caught a 42# Paddlefish (also klnown as Spoonbilled Catfish) a few weeks ago. They are endangered here in Alabama and there is never a season for them. Apparently they were almost fished out of existence because of their roe. Our state website says they are now only found in the Missouri and Alabama rivers. They have huge mouths and sift plankton like whales. It was the first time I had ever seen one...much less catch it. I'll post pictures as soon as my roll is developed. We released it unharmed.

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Spoonbill, Paddle Fish, Polyodon Spathula, is a vegetarian, plankton eating member of the catfish family. I snagged one in the Lake of the Ozarks that weighed 77lbs. back in the early 70's. Fine looking fish with a long flat bill. Dark blue coloring with a magnificent gill cover that defies description. Not a bone in their body's, all white meat that layers like finely sliced potatoes
    The back bone is like a string of "pop beads" and is only cartilage, not bone. I returned that one to the river, two of his smaller(28&35lb.) family members went home with me. Soooo good!
    Don

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    haha not that it makes a difference but i hear there is one bone and that is in the jaw

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have always heard that they are a member of the catfish family but when i looked this up I found that they are more closely related to a sturgeon. according to scientist and taxonimist they are just as closely related to a bass as they are a catfish (all three are in the same order,Actinopterygii, but nothing more specific). anybody shed any light on this???

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

het guys thanks for the info