The Bitter and The Sweet .....

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 8, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Today was bitter and sweet ....

The Sweet: Caught a 51 pound beaver in a #330. Have had trap set for 4 days. It is set in a small run-off ditch. There are signs all over the place where they have been cutting .... I didn't use a bait or lure of any kind ... didn't want to educate them. The first day I had a rat in it and I didn't bother it the next 2 days, but I could see where the beaver had continued to stay on the bank above and below the trap. Yesterday when I checked the trap, it was untouched so I cut 5 small branches and peeled the bark back on them half way. I stuck a couple of them in the mud and the others I laid on the bank just upstream from the trap. I had a dive stick laying across the trap and I guess his curiosity got the best of him and there he was.

The Bitter: I went to check my leghold on the drowning line and it was gone. So my hopes were high until I retrieved it with nothing in it. The water had come up about 8 inches over night so I guess he got caught by some part of the foot that he was able to pull out of pretty easy. The was no hair or anything in the trap to let me know how he was caught ...

Garry-

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a big son of a gun Garry, congrats brother... rollo

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats Garry. I knew ya would get him sooner or later.55lb. is a pretty good beaver i don't care where ya at.

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man that's a big one. I don't know how to trap and I have always wanted to know how. Buddy of mine has always said there isn't no one that knows game like a trapper. It's one thing to look at a deer trail and find out where to put a tree stand and send an arrow or a bullet...but to know where he's going to put his foot is another. Congrats and good luck the rest of season.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary congrats on the nice flat tail,Dont throw the carcass away,Theres some fine eating there.

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice catch Garry! Now the fun begins..LOL!:smile2: