The Bite

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by LadyValea1, Jan 11, 2007.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I watch this show called The Bite on the water channel ...when the guys catch big grouppers or large fish they always put their hands in the gill area of the fish to hold it...I thought if you put your hands in the gills it will damage the fish? they release the big giants..

so is it ok to hold a fish from the gills?
    is it safe? isn't there any sharp spines? Thanks

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Were you watching the episode were they were hand lining the goliaths? I love the water channel, especially now that it is nearly impossible to find anything but bass fishing on ESPN. "Fish on Friday" rules!

Gill grip is fine, as long as the fish is only held that way for a short period of time. With big grouper or other similar fish species, it would very hard to handle them any other way. They've got some nasty teeth, and the skin/tail taper combination makes them slip right through your hands if you try to tail them. You also need to watch out for the spiny rays on their dorsal fin.

The key to not injuring a fish picking them up like that is to not jerk the fish up quick, and to not reach in past the gill plate. If you are going to pose for a photo, one hand should support some of the fishes weight more than halfway down the body while maintaining your grip on the gill plate.

3. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Yes...that was the episode... It looked so fun!!!
    and I think the big guy muscles marinara broke a finger or two..

So is does the gill plate have any sharp spines or spikes in it?

everybody on the flathead fishin board said not to hold a fish like that...
    huh?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i hold fish by the gillplate all the time the trick is to look inside and dont damage the gills themselvs if damaged a fish cab bleed to death in a matter of minets

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    As long as you dont tear up the gills, and hold some of the fishes weight with the other hand it is fine. Its much easier to grab at catfish in the mouth anyway.

Wheelmobile07

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Some fish do, most grouper do not. Catfish of course don't. You just have to know the fish you are after, or the fish that you are fishing for that you may have to hold like this. Some of your smaller species have spines in the gills, but the fish doesn't get big enough to have to worry about the gill plate.

7. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Some fish ya don't want to grab in or near the gills, especially a snook. That plate is razor sharp and cuts to the bone.

Lip grabbing and supporting the belly when picking a fish up is always the best for catch and release. If it has teeth use a boca grip or something similar. On much bigger fish that are too heavy it's best to get them beside the boat and try to remove the hook and release without picking up or gaffing.

8. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    when you see people grabbing by the gills, it is normally not actually in the gills. they are putting there fingers inbetween the gill plate and the first gill. ask my other texas friend with the big red that posted right before me, stick your fingers in a bull redfish gills, youd better be sure its on the gill plate. get your fingers IN his gills, your gonna be pulling out some bloody fingers

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The worst fish I've seen about gill rakers(teeth on the bony gill structure), is pike. Took me about a minute and a half to get a pike off my hand once making the mistake of reaching in too far.