The biggest it could handle?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Gibbzilla, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    What do y'all think is the biggest catfish a push-button Zebco 606 could handle is? I think they got 20 lb. test.

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    probably a 10-15 pounder, my dad caught his PB channel, a 23 pounder on a heavy-duty pro-staff zebco w/ 20 lb line and it stripped the gears and insides and all, he still managed to land it and was real happy and fortunate. i wouldnt use a big bait on that outfit thats for sure.

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    ZEBCOS ARE GOOD REELS, 20LB LINE WILL USUALLY HANDLE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING.GOOD LUCK

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    just depens on how good you are at playin' em.i have heard of people landing 40# carp on a zebco 33,so if you play em right you can probly get a good sized fish and land em.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'd have to say at least a 30 or 40 plus on 20lb mono. Might even go as low as 15 if you want to "play him". If you're serious get a 7000 loaded with 80lb powerpro.

6. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't understand how people "strip " gears out on these reels. Was the drag tightend all the way down ? Was he cranking in the fish with the reel ? I believe you, I'm just curious how this can happen.:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh:

7. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
  8. FISHINSANTEE

FISHINSANTEE New Member

State:
    sc
    I think I would have said I caught it on an ABU for the sponsership. Thats unbeliveable, but Zebcos are pretty tough.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mike, it's not the gears so much as it is the shaft. The pick up pin is where the trouble starts. Pressure against the pin pulls the spool against the center shaft causing it to bend, it doesn't take that much abuse to make the reel feel like the gears are gone. Lets say you have a reel rated for #20 line, you have your drag set for 3/4 of that, you fight a few bigger fish that take drag. That drag would be at #15. Now look at the pick up pin and imagine putting #15 pounds of pressure against it.Grab a #15 pound weight with one hand and you will soon realize how easily the center shaft can be bent. Once the shaft is bent then with every turn of the handle there is added pressure on the gears from the spool being out of balance. I had a Johnson bass reel that I ruined fighting Carp at a spillway one night. lol never again! :big_smile:

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Jack is right but the question at hand is not can the reel handle it but can the fisherman. Can you let your equipment do the work for you? The heavest line I use for catfishing is 30# and with the drag set right and some luck you can handle most any thing swimming.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    my mother caught a 33 lb blue on a zebco 33,no pun intended,with 10 lb. line only took about 15 min.so i know it can be done.would not recomend this setup for cats over 5lbs.imo

12. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I think if you set your drag right and have enough line for long runs you should be able to tire pretty much anything out and bring it close enough to net it.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It might work if u have the drag set right.

14. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I think it could handle just about anything if you played it right.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe more reels have been and are destroyed by "Fisherman Malfunction" than any other way.I have one and I have seen quite a few heavy reels with "Blued" metal drag washers.This was caused by heat with a fish on.I you can get enough heat in a drag to melt grease,some drag materials and weaken gears and frame as all are weaker at higher temperature.I believe most of this is still the fisherman's fault for "under kill" in the reel department.You hear a lot of ridicule about "Over kill" and some about "under kill".I loved Ultra lite fishing,but I had the wrong gear when a Bass,Pickerel,Striper or Bow fin hit my tiny lure or the fish that I was reeling in.The 1 to 50 lb.Saltwater fish you reel in will become bait sooner or later if you fish long enough.You have to draw a line somewhere on gear size,whether it is what you can afford or what you can physically carry.I have been told repeatedly by manufactures representatives,that "correct gear use is very rare and seldom seen".What are we going to tell ANYONE who tries to tell us that "We don;t know what we are doing,or that we are doing it wrong"?"US?ME?You got to be kidding!I been fishing this way for 50 years"! "You got to be talking about somebody else".I can understand the young.They have yet to learn how dumb they are.Us old folks have learned how dumb we are,that we can be wrong and still won;t look to see,learn or change!Hey! I know that there are a lot of folks out there smarter than me.I am like most folks,as I ain;t took the time to figure out who these smarter folks are.Shame ain;t I?Look at all of the new equipment our attitudes sell every year.AND YES! I think I am doing it right and the ones that disagree with me are wrong.As for drag settings.I set my drags mostly to 1/4 of the reels Max.line rating.I will go as High as 1/3.By the time I get the spool empty,I may well be near or exceeding the reel and line capacity due to the changing spool diameter as the line leaves the spool.I like the 1/4 setting because many fish are lost on landing simply because there is no room for mistakes and you have very little help from your rod,reel or line compared to what you had with 20 feet of line out.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.